Had several problems at Riverside--now a big one.

I wonder if getting the insurance at extra cost would avoid this issue?

I had wondered about this myself. We left two scooters at All Star Sports without a sign in or out. Fortunately, we didn't get that phone call.

I always rented from Apple, where insurance is included in the cost. I have gotten some beat up looking scooters (and some new looking ones) from them, but never had a single problem with function, in all the many years I rented.

I always rented from Apple, where insurance is included in the cost. I have gotten some beat up looking scooters (and some new looking ones) from them, but never had a single problem with function, in all the many years I rented.

The vendor, Lake Buena Vista Scooters, charges extra for their insurance. This is why I'm asking the question, here.

I had a similar thing happen to me with Buena Vista Scooters at one of the Disney resorts in the past year or two - I just can't remember which trip but they called me to say my scooter wasn't returned and I freaked out. Like you - I dropped it at the Bell and the guy just took it and said no you don't need to sign the log sheet (I think this was Coronado Springs). BV's reaction tho was just to tell me and they never said anything about charging me extra days for the scooter. I did have the insurance but I it does NOT cover stolen scooters - I just looked at it and it only covers damage. I'm not sure any insurance covers stolen ones.

From now on I not only sign the book I take a photo of it and a photo of me returning the darn thing. I agree with others that I think they give it to someone else (maybe someone who had a scooter problem or whatever - so that's why it doesn't show up back to them for days). I'll still rent from BV but does any scooter company have insurance that covers stolen scooters?

The vendor, Lake Buena Vista Scooters, charges extra for their insurance. This is why I'm asking the question, here.

Yes, I realize that others charge extra for insurance. Just thought I would put it out there that Apple doesn't. And wanted to point out my positive experiences with them. They have a lower rating so many people fear renting from them, so thought I would post my personal experience.

I wonder if getting the insurance at extra cost would avoid this issue?

I had wondered about this myself. We left two scooters at All Star Sports without a sign in or out. Fortunately, we didn't get that phone call.

It depends on how the insurance policy is written, and exactly what it covers. It used to be that the insurance policies offered by vendors on medical equipment rentals were more skewed towards damage that is caused by the renter - not theft. If you (or anyone) was going to add the insurance, I would make very sure of exactly what it covered (ask to see it well before you sign it, so you have time to actually read it - it is a contract!) because if it just covers "damage" but not theft, then in this situation it would do no good.

Some homeowners policies will cover theft of an item like this, however, you would have to still pay any deductible on your homeowner's policy. Ask your insurance agent if that is covered, as that can vary wildly from company to company.

Additionally, if you do buy the insurance for "damage", make sure you document the condition of the scooter at pick up, just like you should with a rental car. Take pictures (try to get the delivery guy or truck in the picture LOL) and avoid the temptation to edit them - you want the date and time stamp to reflect exactly when it was delivered to you. Most rental companies ignore a certain amount of wear and tear; they know it is inevitable, especially with someplace like WDW where the scooters really get a workout. Just be aware of any obvious damage at pick up, note it on the form (even if you have to write it on the side, or next to your signature) to help prevent being charged for someone else's negligence later.

I sure wouldn't want to have to put a stolen scooter on my home insurance. I always get the damage insurance in case someone damages it as I've often come back after leaving my scooter somewhere (I will park it to walk into the bathroom, stores and sometimes for rides when I have a FP so the que isn't long to wait) and find people sitting in it. That always amazes me. I try to park it in scooter/stroller areas where this is less chance of this happening. The darn things are easy to push if you unlock the wheels so I can only imagine what sort of nightmare it would be to come back and find it missing cause someone pushed it so they could sit under a tree or something. I also wonder why BV scooters was more aggressive with the OP than me about the missing scooter? Maybe it's their new policy?

I hadn't thought about it much before now, but if anyone discovers that a scooter rental insurance covers theft I'd probably go with that company just for the peace of mind of not having to worry about it.

Here’s the thing-
If you got mad at Disney over that they have every right to say this whole dropping off system isn’t worth our trouble and stopping all off site companies from dropping off strollers etc. I wouldn’t blame them.

Now if it was me with the missing item. That would stress the heck out of me. I’m so glad it was located. Good lesson for others to take a photo when they return. I’m glad they located it.

If you got mad at Disney over that they have every right to say this whole dropping off system isn’t worth our trouble and stopping all off site companies from dropping off strollers etc. I wouldn’t blame them.
They won't, though. Disney is charging five specific companies for this convenience. They're not going to give up that revenue.

Yes, I realize that others charge extra for insurance. Just thought I would put it out there that Apple doesn't. And wanted to point out my positive experiences with them. They have a lower rating so many people fear renting from them, so thought I would post my personal experience.
I have had a few people tell me that Apple is getting better I know they had a bad reputation a little while ago

They won't, though. Disney is charging five specific companies for this convenience. They're not going to give up that revenue.

Ohhhh that’s interesting. And I thought they were just being kind I give disney too much credit.

I promised to come back and let you know what happened with the scooter. I called them a few minutes ago and after checking they said they had possession of it. He didn’t seem to know where it was or any info, just that it was picked up yesterday in the late afternoon. I am confused because I spoke to them after 5 and they said they were going to have to charge me a daily charge until they found it. I would have thought that they would have contacted me to let me know they found it. I don’t think I will do business with them again.

I hope that they did not charge you for any extra days. There is no way I would pay that, especially because there had to be video proof of you returning it per their policy. There is no way that they would win any extra money from you if they sued you. Sounds like a shake down to me.

I think the mistake was that you assumed they'd put you on the first floor without making that as a request, or did you request first floor?
If you request an ADA room and there is no elevator in the building, it would go without saying that you would need a first floor room, one shouldn't have to make that as a request. If there was an elevator, then the ADA room could have been on any floor and it wouldn't have mattered, so again I don't see why they would need to request a first floor room.

I had a similar thing happen to me with Buena Vista Scooters at one of the Disney resorts in the past year or two - I just can't remember which trip but they called me to say my scooter wasn't returned and I freaked out. Like you - I dropped it at the Bell and the guy just took it and said no you don't need to sign the log sheet (I think this was Coronado Springs). BV's reaction tho was just to tell me and they never said anything about charging me extra days for the scooter. I did have the insurance but I it does NOT cover stolen scooters - I just looked at it and it only covers damage. I'm not sure any insurance covers stolen ones.

From now on I not only sign the book I take a photo of it and a photo of me returning the darn thing. I agree with others that I think they give it to someone else (maybe someone who had a scooter problem or whatever - so that's why it doesn't show up back to them for days). I'll still rent from BV but does any scooter company have insurance that covers stolen scooters?
We had problems in the past with BV, if we need one again (knock on wood that we won't), we will not be renting from them.

If you request an ADA room and there is no elevator in the building, it would go without saying that you would need a first floor room, one shouldn't have to make that as a request. If there was an elevator, then the ADA room could have been on any floor and it wouldn't have mattered, so again I don't see why they would need to request a first floor room.

WDW resorts have different kinds of “accessible” rooms, and I don’t think any are identified as “ADA rooms.” One might assume that a wheelchair accessible with roll-in shower room is first floor or in a building with an elevator. However, OP only requested a “handicapped room” without specifying the exact need. I’m not sure that all Florida Accessible or hearing-accessible rooms are on first floor or floors with an elevator. Unfortunately, this was a case where wording may well have made a big difference. Another option, once OP learned she was unable to change to the room type she needed, would have been to change resorts and be guaranteed the correct accessible room she required. I don’t believe WDW maintains a waitlist for accessible rooms.

It was a hard lesson learned, and it’s nice OP shared her experience so others can learn as well. I very glad the ECV issue was resolved!

From the OP, she states she 'requested' the room by having it added to her reservation - she didn't know to go through the special booking process. So when that request could not be met, they just gave her a room. Disney states that not all requests can be met.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!