Has anyone decorated their Magic Bands? Please show us the pictures!

Our most recent bands.....I LOVE doing bands each trip!

They’re beautiful! Do you draw with a pencil first and then color in or do you go straight with the paint? Also what kind of paint do you use? I can draw a little, not as good as you, but only if I can use a pencil first so I can erase mistakes. I’d so destroy it if I had to use paints first. Wish I were as good as you are.

They’re beautiful! Do you draw with a pencil first and then color in or do you go straight with the paint? Also what kind of paint do you use? I can draw a little, not as good as you, but only if I can use a pencil first so I can erase mistakes. I’d so destroy it if I had to use paints first. Wish I were as good as you are.

This wasn’t a question for me but when I painted our last set, I traced a band on a sheet of paper so I knew the size and shape I had to work with. Then, I drew my design on the paper. Finally, I took some carbon paper and laid it between the paper and the band and traced the design. It didn’t transfer completely, but it gave me a nice template to work from which made everything much easier!

I just wanted to mention that the magic bands 2.0 with the puck are a little harder to use acrylic paint on. Had no problems with the nail polish, but the acrylic flecked off more than on the previous style bands.

I just wanted to mention that the magic bands 2.0 with the puck are a little harder to use acrylic paint on. Had no problems with the nail polish, but the acrylic flecked off more than on the previous style bands.

Did it fleck off even with a waterproof sealant? Or without? Just trying to figure out what i want to do before ours come in the mail next month. IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!

Did it fleck off even with a waterproof sealant? Or without? Just trying to figure out what i want to do before ours come in the mail next month. IM SO EXCITED!!!!!!
The acrylic seemed to fleck off pretty randomly, even sealed. Made a seagull with "Mine Mine Mine" and most of his stomach went missing. Much of Arielle s body flecked, but the grinning ghosts stayed throughout the trip. Next puck set I did with polish stayed beautifully, so who knows. :)

Did you do a base coat for the acrylics on the new bands?

Number 2 for this summer is complete. pirate: My Pirates of the Caribbean inspiration came from a couple different paintings I found on the internet. I changed the ship to The Black Pearl of course. Why no puck you ask? Well, my nephew gave me his band after he bought one of those key chain holders last summer and I received another puck-less band from a random guest during my fall trip. I plan on painting three differently themed bands that will utilize one puck that has minimal complimentary painting on it. I'll post a photo of all three together when I've finished. That won't be until I receive my new band (with puck) in May. I'll be posting a pic of another completed band before that, themed for Lalotai - Realm of Monsters. :crazy2:

Pirates of the Caribbean split.jpg

Last edited:
Number 2 for this summer is complete. pirate: My Pirates of the Caribbean inspiration came from a couple different paintings I found on the internet. I changed the ship to The Black Pearl of course. Why no puck you ask? Well, my nephew gave me his band after he bought one of those key chain holders last summer and I received another puck-less band from a random guest during my fall trip. I plan on painting three differently themed bands that will utilize one puck that has minimal complimentary painting on it. I'll post a photo of all three together when I've finished. That won't be until I receive my new band (with puck) in May. I'll be posting a pic of another completed band before that, themed for Lalotai - Realm of Monsters. :crazy2:

View attachment 309000

This is amazing! What did you use to base, paint and seal? I really need to dig up my last set of bands and post them, i am not sure where those things ended up after we got home....

This is amazing! What did you use to base, paint and seal? I really need to dig up my last set of bands and post them, i am not sure where those things ended up after we got home....

Thank you! Well to start with, no base coat. I go right to painting with leather paints. They are all I use now. The flexibility and durability of the paint can't be beat. You don't need to be careful taking the bands off and you don't need to keep them in a circular position. Leather paint just doesn't crack or peel. I do use a very light coat of acrylic spray on top of the finished product to protect the image from my klutziness. I tend to bang my wrists into everything. I generally use a gloss acrylic spray, but I ran out and sprayed this band with a matte top coat. I actually like the effect on this particular band, but will likely return to glossy for future bands.

Thank you! Well to start with, no base coat. I go right to painting with leather paints. They are all I use now. The flexibility and durability of the paint can't be beat. You don't need to be careful taking the bands off and you don't need to keep them in a circular position. Leather paint just doesn't crack or peel. I do use a very light coat of acrylic spray on top of the finished product to protect the image from my klutziness. I tend to bang my wrists into everything. I generally use a gloss acrylic spray, but I ran out and sprayed this band with a matte top coat. I actually like the effect on this particular band, but will likely return to glossy for future bands.

Im thinking i will need to switch to leather paint, apparently the difference is massive. Im glad to hear it because i was hoping to reuse a couple of our bands but now that its been a couple years, they are all cracked so finding paint that wont do that is amazing. Is the leather paint waterproof? Or do you use a waterproof acrylic sealant? Thats what we used last time but it didn't respond well to sunscreen so i am looking for something else that might work better. But since it will be summer when we go again, We will definitely be getting wet so water proofing is essential this time....

Also, where do you get your leather paint? Online? or do they sell it in stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby?

Im thinking i will need to switch to leather paint, apparently the difference is massive. Im glad to hear it because i was hoping to reuse a couple of our bands but now that its been a couple years, they are all cracked so finding paint that wont do that is amazing. Is the leather paint waterproof? Or do you use a waterproof acrylic sealant? Thats what we used last time but it didn't respond well to sunscreen so i am looking for something else that might work better. But since it will be summer when we go again, We will definitely be getting wet so water proofing is essential this time....

Also, where do you get your leather paint? Online? or do they sell it in stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby?

I've worn my bands in heavy rain and haven't had any trouble. The acrylic top coat probably helps with that but I think the leather paint is designed to withstand water all on it's own. It's for leather out garments like shoes and coats. I don't swim when I'm at Disney, so I can't tell you anything about submersion in a chlorinated pool. As far as purchasing, I've not tried to purchase it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I got my kit through Amazon. It's called Angeles Leather Paint. A starter kit of 12 (1 ounce) bottles will run about $35.00. It's expensive, but a tiny amount goes a long way and it mixes very easily to make a plethora of colors. My kit will last me a lifetime if the paints don't dry out first. :)

I've worn my bands in heavy rain and haven't had any trouble. The acrylic top coat probably helps with that but I think the leather paint is designed to withstand water all on it's own. It's for leather out garments like shoes and coats. I don't swim when I'm at Disney, so I can't tell you anything about submersion in a chlorinated pool. As far as purchasing, I've not tried to purchase it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I got my kit through Amazon. It's called Angeles Leather Paint. A starter kit of 12 (1 ounce) bottles will run about $35.00. It's expensive, but a tiny amount goes a long way and it mixes very easily to make a plethora of colors. My kit will last me a lifetime if the paints don't dry out first. :)

I saw that kit, its the one i was looking at, too. So the paints mix nicely then? That was one of my concerns, that i wouldn't have the right colors but if i could just add white to colors to make them lighter for shading and such, that wouldn't be such an issue.

I saw that kit, its the one i was looking at, too. So the paints mix nicely then? That was one of my concerns, that i wouldn't have the right colors but if i could just add white to colors to make them lighter for shading and such, that wouldn't be such an issue.

The paint has a thinner consistency than acrylic, so it mixes very nicely. With a bit of experimentation, you can mix to almost any color you need without using tons of paint to get there.

View attachment 309000

Amazing work! Creativity is wonderful and your details are incredible. Can't wait to see your other bands.

Love these! The themes matched with the individual images are great.

Thanks for the info on the leather paints. I've only done 5 bands before- 3 for DH, DS2, and I and then 2 more for DS1 and GF. I used acrylic paints with base and sealer and they held up pretty well but did start to crack and chip on some parts of some bands. I have gift cards to Hobby Lobby and Michaels (I scrapbook) from my birthday, so I may look into using them for leather paints. If they last a long time and can be mixed well, I can justify spending more and using them on future bands.

"Amazing work! Creativity is wonderful and your details are incredible. Can't wait to see your other bands."

Thank you! I like to share the ideas I come up with. I need to see other peoples work to help me come up with designs, so it's only fair to share it forward.

Update on the leather paint at stores: I had some errands to run yesterday and stopped in at Michael's. They do carry one type of leather paint. It comes in 2 oz. bottles under the name "Leather Studio" made by the company Plaid. I had to ask an employee if they carried any because it's not with the regular paint or craft paint or leather stuff- it's on the aisle with the fabric crafts. My store carries 13 different regular colors and 5 metallic colors. Since I had a gift card and a 30% off coupon I splurged and bought all 13 regular colors. They normally run $4.49 each so I paid $3.15. I will probably try them out on old bands before our new ones arrive. For my designs I am keeping the original band colors so I won't do a base coat. Once I get them done I will post pics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!