Has anyone flown Southwest to Hawaii yet?

We flew OAK-HNL last November. It was fine. On the way back, we actually paid to upgrade at the gate to get a 1-15 boarding position and grabbed exit-row seats, which made the flight a lot more bearable. We didn't mind the extra fee because we got a great deal on the flights in the first place.

Instead of just passing out the usual pretzels, etc., Southwest gave us a prepackaged snack pack. Not sure what they are doing in COVID times.

We were scheduled to last year, but they cancelled our flight back to the mainland about 36 hours before we were to fly. The soonest option was 3 days later, so we had to scramble and find another flight on our own, which ended up being on Delta. We won’t book with Southwest again for flights to or from Hawaii.

We flew PHX-OAK-HNL....it was fine and if you have flown SW before, it was the normal experience, nothing fancy! We did like being able to bring our dive gear and I packed some food for the week in our free bags which is a nice perk.

We were scheduled to last year, but they cancelled our flight back to the mainland about 36 hours before we were to fly. The soonest option was 3 days later, so we had to scramble and find another flight on our own, which ended up being on Delta. We won’t book with Southwest again for flights to or from Hawaii.

Not just a problem with Southwest, though. The woman behind me in the boarding line in HNL had to scramble to get on our Southwest flight because another airline (American, I think?) did the same thing to her.

We have looked into it, but for those of us flying from the east coast, it's not the greatest option. The flights to Hawaii originate from the west coast. They don't even pair the flight segments together coming from the east. If we wanted to fly from Buffalo, we'd have to book a flight from Buffalo to Oakland or San Jose (or whichever other CA city) which would have layover/connection in Chicago or Baltimore. We'd then have to book a separate flight under a separate confirmation number to fly from Oakland/San Jose to HNL. That also means we'd have to collect our luggage and check in again, or plan to arrive in CA the day before. So for us, Southwest was not that much more cost effective and it certainly wasn't faster, easier, or more convenient.

I would also add that Southwest is still "bring your own device", meaning they have limited entertainment options available (for free) through limited wifi connectivity on your smart phone, laptop or iPad. I don't know that I've seen power sources at the seats on Southwest planes before, so something to consider.

I flew Southwest before to HNL, but man... the walk from Terminal Gate in HNL to baggage claim is the longest I think for any airport, without good mass transport. Otherwise, the free 2 luggage are great, more souvenirs that we don't need to bring home :).

Great3

We have and it was great! Before covid, they handed out a snack box with crackers and cheese and a few other snacks.

The last week I've been comparing SW flight schedules against other airlines. Flying from TX so we would also have to book 2 separate trips under different confirmation numbers. Returning would require an overnight stay because the Hawaii fight lands after the last flight available to TEXAS. That coupled with picking up luggage between flights pretty much secured my decision to fly delta. We will book SW for inter Island travel, $39 flights.

We did last November. I completely agree with the thread...somewhat easy to get there from East coast...we did Rochester to BWI to SanJose. Stayed the night then to HNL next day. The way home we did SW from HNL to SanJose. But then opted for JetBlue to catch red eye into JFK then back to ROC. SW will never land in SanJose early enough to catch a flight back to east coast on the same day as they don’t fly over night. Between JetBlue and SW, I still prefer SW! Much more caring attendants and fliers...more family oriented, IMO.

Has anyone flown Southwest to Hawaii yet?
How was it?
We did last July from the East Coast. Flew to San Jose, visited the Winchester Mystery House, had dinner, then went back to hotel. We then flew out the next morning to Honolulu. We used points for entire trip-cash price was around $1500 for 4 of us from San Jose, round trip. We pretty much only fly SW domestically and it was a great process. Having the option to take 2 bags per person for free is also a plus. Snacks were handed out and we also brought our own food on board.

I flew Southwest before to HNL, but man... the walk from Terminal Gate in HNL to baggage claim is the longest I think for any airport, without good mass transport. Otherwise, the free 2 luggage are great, more souvenirs that we don't need to bring home :).

Great3
We went in February and found out that there are buses outside the gate that drive directly to baggage claim. On previous trips we had that long walk to the gate, but not anymore.

We went in February and found out that there are buses outside the gate that drive directly to baggage claim. On previous trips we had that long walk to the gate, but not anymore.

Ah... good to hear. That will help a lot for those that can't walk. I mean, I didn't mind, but other family members were complaining. Thanks for letting me know!

Great3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!