Has anyone here done the Greek Isle Cruise ABD add on?

orion2185

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has done the ABD add on to a DCL Greek Isle cruise.

How many people do they limit on these?
Would imagine it depends upon number of bookings.

Also would be interested in knowing your thoughts if you have ever done a ABD cruise add on before.
We have never done a ABD trip before and thinking the cruise add on might be a good intro?

Any advice, helps or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some feedback from anyone who has done the ABD add on to a DCL Greek Isle cruise.

How many people do they limit on these?
Would imagine it depends upon number of bookings.

Also would be interested in knowing your thoughts if you have ever done a ABD cruise add on before.
We have never done a ABD trip before and thinking the cruise add on might be a good intro?

Any advice, helps or tips would be greatly appreciated.
In *general* they limit the add-ons to 40 people. (Sometimes it's more, but I haven't heard of that happening in a while). I have heard of a couple of times where the demand was so big they did 2 add-ons on one departure (40 people each with their own Guides) but that seems rare.

I did the Med cruise add-on the first year they offered it, and thought it was fabulous. MUCH better than booking excursions on my own. You have the same people on all your excursions, so it is much like a land ABD, except the ship is your hotel. The only thing you don't get is dinners in port. Most are back on the ship.

It would definitely be a good intro to ABD! I've done their Greece land tour, and I would imagine a lot of the excursions mirror what's done on the land tours when there's overlap. They were fabulous!

I say go for it!

I just want to add, because some people *have* gotten confused before, that the price of the add-on does *not* include the cost of your cruise cabin. You book the cruise per usual, whatever cabin you want, and then literally "add it on" to your cruise as an additional cost. But then you don't have to pay any more than that for your excursions.

Sayhello

In *general* they limit the add-ons to 40 people. (Sometimes it's more, but I haven't heard of that happening in a while). I have heard of a couple of times where the demand was so big they did 2 add-ons on one departure (40 people each with their own Guides) but that seems rare.

I did the Med cruise add-on the first year they offered it, and thought it was fabulous. MUCH better than booking excursions on my own. You have the same people on all your excursions, so it is much like a land ABD, except the ship is your hotel. The only thing you don't get is dinners in port. Most are back on the ship.

It would definitely be a good intro to ABD! I've done their Greece land tour, and I would imagine a lot of the excursions mirror what's done on the land tours when there's overlap. They were fabulous!

I say go for it!

I just want to add, because some people *have* gotten confused before, that the price of the add-on does *not* include the cost of your cruise cabin. You book the cruise per usual, whatever cabin you want, and then literally "add it on" to your cruise as an additional cost. But then you don't have to pay any more than that for your excursions.

Sayhello

Amazing, thank you!

Yes, completely understand the ABD add on price does not include your cruise

We were also wondering if the add on options were similar to those offered in the dedicated Greece land ABD.

Have read our fair share of ABD trip reports...just wondering are you able to swap/change any of the excursions in the ABD cruise add on? For example, we have read that in land ABD trips there is often a alternative experience you can do (be for whatever reason).
However, feel that the cruise add on would be very limited to what they can arrange/offer.

For example, I'm allergic to wine and would not be able (or have any interest) in visiting any wineries. Since technically your paying for this experience..wondering if there would be a alternative experience that I could swap to.
Don't imagine there would be...but just thought would ask and see.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Amazing, thank you!

Yes, completely understand the ABD add on price does not include your cruise

We were also wondering if the add on options were similar to those offered in the dedicated Greece land ABD.

Have read our fair share of ABD trip reports...just wondering are you able to swap/change any of the excursions in the ABD cruise add on? For example, we have read that in land ABD trips there is often a alternative experience you can do (be for whatever reason).
However, feel that the cruise add on would be very limited to what they can arrange/offer.

For example, I'm allergic to wine and would not be able (or have any interest) in visiting any wineries. Since technically your paying for this experience..wondering if there would be a alternative experience that I could swap to.
Don't imagine there would be...but just thought would ask and see.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
On land ABDs, sometimes the Guides can arrange alternate activities, and sometimes they can't. It's really on a case by case basis. You'd have to talk to the Adventure Guides at the start of the trip and see what they say. It really depends on the transportation, timing, what's available, etc. I really can't think of any alternative activities that we did on the Med cruise add-on, but on the London/Paris trip, if you didn't want to bike around Versailles, there was a walking tour offered. On the Greece trip (when I took it) if you didn't want to kayak to Spinalonga, you could take a boat (kayaking isn't offered any more). Usually the "alternative activities" are at the same location, so it just really depends on if there's something else that they *can* arrange.

You wouldn't be able to "swap" activities (like do a ship excursion instead of the ABD excursion) without paying extra for the ship's excursion. You are never (obviously) forced to do any activity, and since every day you return back to the ship, you can just choose to skip the activities for the day and do whatever you want, as long as you get yourself back to the ship in time for sail away. But that would be on your own dime.

Sayhello

On land ABDs, sometimes the Guides can arrange alternate activities, and sometimes they can't. It's really on a case by case basis. You'd have to talk to the Adventure Guides at the start of the trip and see what they say. It really depends on the transportation, timing, what's available, etc. I really can't think of any alternative activities that we did on the Med cruise add-on, but on the London/Paris trip, if you didn't want to bike around Versailles, there was a walking tour offered. On the Greece trip (when I took it) if you didn't want to kayak to Spinalonga, you could take a boat (kayaking isn't offered any more). Usually the "alternative activities" are at the same location, so it just really depends on if there's something else that they *can* arrange.

You wouldn't be able to "swap" activities (like do a ship excursion instead of the ABD excursion) without paying extra for the ship's excursion. You are never (obviously) forced to do any activity, and since every day you return back to the ship, you can just choose to skip the activities for the day and do whatever you want, as long as you get yourself back to the ship in time for sail away. But that would be on your own dime.

Sayhello

thank you so much Sayhello
Very helpful and totally understand.

Since it's been a long time since DCL has been to Greece (6 years I think) you're not likely to find anyone who has done it. However, after this summer (hopefully) you'll get some reviews. We're on one of the Greek cruises this summer (assuming they still happen) and I know there are folks on our meet group with the add-on so you'll probably get more feedback after these sailings.

Since it's been a long time since DCL has been to Greece (6 years I think) you're not likely to find anyone who has done it. However, after this summer (hopefully) you'll get some reviews. We're on one of the Greek cruises this summer (assuming they still happen) and I know there are folks on our meet group with the add-on so you'll probably get more feedback after these sailings.

Thank you...will check back and see after those sailings.

We have now opted and booked b2b cruises on the Fantasy instead of the Greek Isle cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!