Has anyone used babysitting services?

Karalynn

Mouseketeer
I was just wondering if anyone has used any of the services in room or drop off for their sn kids? Do they even take kids with special needs? I would assume so, but I wanted to ask. What were your expierences? My dd is 5 and has cp. She is in a wheelchair (probably stroller for the trip) and I also have a ds who is 7 and has adhd. She should be fine as long as her brother is with her. I'm still not sure if I'll be! LOL Thinking it might be nice to have dinner by ourselves. Thanks!

We are going to try it. Don't know when your trip is, ours isn't until August, but I'll post and let everyone know.
I would hope they wouldn't have a problem watching a child with special needs. However, since they require that the child be potty trained, maybe they expect a certain amount of self-sufficiency.
DS is potty trained, but does have an accident from time to time, esp. if he is really involved in something else. He doesn't catch the stimulation of urge to need to go to the bathroom. So, I'm a little worried. I hope they will ask him to go every so often. Big bro will be with him, but I always feel so bad making him take so much responsibility for his brother.
Originally, I thought about giving DS his nightly meds that will help him sleep prior to drop off, but then I got to thinking that he would need to wear a goodnight if he fell asleep and I don't know if they will go for that with the "potty trained" rule, even though they wouldn't have to change him. Any one know about this?
We originally thought we would go out for a nice dinner, but decided not to. Worried that we may get called right in the middle to pick up. So, I think we are going to use our "alone time" to have cocktails and appetizers, maybe go to Pleasure Island. Maybe do a little shopping. Things that we can just leave at a moments notice, if needed. That will still be fun.

Want to clarify that I am addressing drop off, not in room services. I would imagine that in room would be most flexible.

I have my kids registered at two of the kids clubs, and I was told that with a child with special needs (autism in our case) they require that we go to dinner at their hotel's restaurant. So that is what we are planning.

Jan

Hi, we used an in room service, and were very happy with it. We used kids nite out www.kidsniteout.com (I think is the website)

You may find more info on what they provide there. Also, call your hotel and see if they have any certain recommendations, they may know one that works best with special needs kids, etc. Good luck and have fun-it is costly, but for my husband and I, who rarely get a few hours together, it was great. And the kids had fun. They bring age appropriate games and activities, and will stick to your rules, such as dinner times, bed times, what they can do (watch TV, go outside supervised, walks, etc.) so don't hesitate to ask lots of questions and tell them what you expect. HAVE FUN!!!

My problem with kids night out is that it was $19.00 per hour four our three kids. It is a four hour minimum charge ($76.00) and an $8.00 transportation fee. That's a lot!

Jan

It is a lot. I agree. But for us, it was a once in a lifetime thing. And the kids still talk about how nice the sitter was, and my husband and I still talk about our romantic few hours roaming around at Epcot! :love:

Even though the rule is "Toilet Trained", if a disability is the reason that the child is not toilet trained, they can't refuse to care for your child because he/she is not toilet trained. They need to work with you to look at what might be reasonable accomidations. I don't have experience with the WDW child care centers, but I have experience outside of WDW with this.
Other than the one post here, no one has posted recently about using one of the child care centers with a special needs child, but quite a few people had posted a year or two ago.

Some of the accomidation have to stay in the hotel/resort and be able to be paged in case the child needs toileting/changing. Another family had an older child who was able to help the other child with toileting. In another situation, the child care center required that the child wear pullups.

I'm really behind on this thread, as we've been preparing for our year-long trip (begins next week - Ack!)

We have used Fairy Godmothers for in-room services for our kids (at the time, 2 ASD, 1 NT). They were wonderful, and even provided us with a sitter who was a former Special Ed teacher.

This time, we'll be using other services (KNO) so that we can provide some comparision for our travel guide. I've already called them, and they have no problem sitting for special needs children, with a few days notice. We'll probably also try one night at a drop off center. Yes, our kids will be guinea pigs on this trip ;) .

I'd love to hear other family's experiences, both for the website and book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter