Has anyWine seen my Poutine? A friendly January 2020 dining report * The Plaza Part 2 4/24**

We stayed at OKW in the Fall and never made it to Olivia's for breakfast and I'm sad now because that banana bread french toast sounds amazing.

I love the bag you got :love: so cute!

Jock Lindsay's is one of our favorites in DS too. Those flatbreads look amazing.

I also think you'll love Wine Bar George. Mike refused to believe me that it would be good and he was surprised how good it was!

We went first to the Co-Op and picked up a couple things:
A little something for me first-
Love your new Dooney!
his is so good and has a little spicy kick from the dragon fire spirit. A few of these made the night nice and relaxing 🕺
To go with this Steve and I got the queso to share:

Doctor Astorga's Queso Fundido
A Skillet of Melted Soft Cheeses topped with Fresh Pico de Gallo and Cilantro served with Corn Tortilla Chips
Your drink and snacks look amazing!!
Air Pirate's Pretzel
A Jumbo Everything Pretzel with Spicy German Mustard and Beer-Cheese Fondue
Yum, yum!
I don't know how I could forget all my wonderful brunette friends considering I am (was? Should be? 😜) a brunette!
You are the cute brunette (auburn?) in the photo!
Can't wait to hear how it is! We've never been to that one. I actually can't wait to see/hear all about your NYC trip :goodvibes
I am so excited to try it as well. Also I heard that Dylan's candy bar is another cool spot to check out. We are definitely going to NYC, even though I have had some friends question that in light of Covid-19. There are no travel advisories in place for Canadians travelling to the US so we will go, take normal precautions and have a great time! :)

I liked breakfast even though our choices really weren't anything we couldn't get elsewhere and I'd like to go back for that banana bread french toast.
I've heard good things about Olivia's breakfast and the breakfast potatoes that were on your plate were about a 100 times better than the poor excuse for potatoes that usually come with a Disney breakfast. ;)

Roaring Fork is what I consider the weakest food option at the Lodge.
I used to love the Wilderness salad that they served before the counter service restaurant was updated.
Doctor Astorga's Queso Fundido
This was the best thing we ate at the Hangar Bar. The cheese is easy to dip, not too thick like some places serve.

Every time I read people's posts about Jock Lindsay's I think "we are totally going there on the next trip!" and yet, we still haven't been!!! Definitely need to make my way over there.
Well it needs to be on your itinerary for next month! You ladies will have a great time :goodvibes
Mmmm...your Jock Lindsey's food looks pretty good. I've only been there once...and this was the only thing I ordered:
That is the
Reggie's Revenge
Florida Cane 'Orlando Orange' Vodka, Midori Melon Liqueur, White Cranberry Juice, and Fresh Lime Juice

I've had it and like it but I prefer both the Cool-Headed Monkey and Anything Goes. I believe @Jenny Sanders likes the Reggie's Revenge too!

I'm so looking forward to having 3 nights at Wilderness Lodge next week. I'm really dreaming about this sandwich though:
I'm so excited for you! I don't remember that sandwich with that description when we were there in January but you know those QS menus are always changing. And really most everything on their menu now is good, we didn't like it right after the change but it definitely has improved.
A month later after your TR starts and one of your friends finally finds time to show up to comment :hug:
I knew you'd make it here eventually 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩
I like it in lemonade!!
Um....I don't know why...........but these 5 words are making ME be a 12 year old boy but I can't quite put my finger on why! I think it would make a good dining report title though :laughing:
Who is this and what did you do with my friend?!
I was out of control I know! But hey at least I didn't eat it all, and it's the only salad I ate the whole trip. #proud
I have a suspicion I know who unseated the king filet and I can say they are both divine! My favorite is probably whichever is in front of me at the time...
You do, you do!!! But yes I agree, I won't say no to either.
Yes ma’am! Gotta get those last selfies in just in case the “upgrades” upgrade my beloved mural 😭
I hadn't even thought about them getting rid of space Jesus until you mentioned it :( Do the Imagineers even KNOW who space Jesus IS??
You may want to let them know.
Okay I had not seen this and it’s stinking adorable!
It was great presentation but too soggy of a drink. I need my Refreshment Port BM's back and apparently it did not even return for F&G.
o I learned last month that it’s kind of good to be flexible about finding ADRs on the fly when needed. My cousin’s husband was about to melt down from over stimulation, too many people touching him, just general crowd fatigue on our MK day so we had a great and relaxing dinner at Kona. They weren’t planning on TS but that one was necessary!
I believe it was your cousin's husband because it's always the men. Yeah that's why we like last minute ADR's, they always work out! But my DIL is so excited about the dining so I have to do things "right" by her. I'm pretty sure we'll end up cancelling or at least changing some and I can pretty much guarantee Steve and I will be saying "good night" to them a few times and hitting lounges :thumbsup2
Really Steve went over and introduced himself and sat right down and they became new best friends I think! Then the rest of us peeled our eyes and slowly but surely stole one chair at a time to accommodate the rapidly growing number of rear ends in our wild bunch! I’m pretty sure those CMs were happy to see us leave afterward 😂
lol you got it exact! I'm sure the CM's AND the other guests were happy when we walked out.
I think it is nori bread maybe? Like a sushi wrapper, the flavor is very subtle, just savory and a bit salty. Perfect with that butter or mussels broth!
I bet you're right because @kastoney suggested seaweed was in it 🤢 I'll just call it nori bread and leave it at that so I eat it again.

you ordered wrong at Olivia’s 😝 that banana bread French toast is amazing and Joe was right about the heavenly creamy grits!
UGH now I need to go back asap! But not for the grits :rolleyes2
Wish we were sitting at Jock’s enjoying nice weather and a beverage now!!!
Me too lady, me too :hug:
was wondering why you wouldn't have gone to GP. Makes sense now ::yes::
Yeah it was COLD and we'd just come from the park. That January cold is worse than any cold up here, seriously it just gets in your bones and doesn't leave!
Some sort of law, or something 😋
The Law of the Magic pixiedust:
So I got a call yesterday that they are cancelling my ADR at The Edison on 3/21 for a "private party." I'm kind of miffed because we were planning on going there after Cirque. So now I'm thinking maybe we'll just go here or Wine Bar George instead, although I made a new reservation at Maria and Enzo's. I just don't know if we'll want a full dinner. And now I still need to figure out when we're going to go to The Edison and try to get a last minute ADR…grrrr.
OH NO! I hope you're able to reschedule The Edison, the food was so good. On the other hand I really like Maria and Enzo's and from all I hear, WBG wouldn't be a bad choice either 🤔
:rotfl:

What a wonderful evening at Jock's - the food looked AMAZING! ::yes::
It was and is! I hope you get to try it on your next trip!
We said the same for a few visits and finally made it there. We really enjoyed it. Even my boys thought it was fun!
My boys really like it too and ask to eat there whenever we're in AK!
We stayed at OKW in the Fall and never made it to Olivia's for breakfast and I'm sad now because that banana bread french toast sounds amazing.
I'm pretty angry I didn't get it now that everyone keeps mentioning it lol. Going to see if I can slip it in with the boys for our July trip :) And I will NOT order wrong again!
I also think you'll love Wine Bar George. Mike refused to believe me that it would be good and he was surprised how good it was!
I wasn't that interested in trying it initially but as more of my friends went my envy increased lol
Love your new Dooney!
Thank you! Probably breaking it in on our cruise next month :sunny:
Also I heard that Dylan's candy bar is another cool spot to check out.
YES! It's a very popular place for tweens up here to go for their birthdays and such.
🤔
We are definitely going to NYC, even though I have had some friends question that in light of Covid-19. There are no travel advisories in place for Canadians travelling to the US so we will go, take normal precautions and have a great time! :)
I'm so glad you aren't cancelling! Luckily I have not had lots of clients cancel spring trips but I can't say the same for my fellow TA's. And as I said we're still planning on cruising followed by a day in AK!
I've heard good things about Olivia's breakfast and the breakfast potatoes that were on your plate were about a 100 times better than the poor excuse for potatoes that usually come with a Disney breakfast. ;)
Haha yes they were delicious with the cheese, some are so dry.
I used to love the Wilderness salad that they served before the counter service restaurant was updated.
I know we've talked about this before and I did agree, but I also think they've improved a bit since changing? Definitely not my favorite place to eat when at the Lodge but I feel like it's doable now.

OMG things have gone nuts! Does everyone else feel like the world is upside down? I was pretty good until DL and WDW closed right after all the state schools here did; then today our school district announced they're closing now through the 30th and all of a sudden I feel like nothing is normal :( Combine that with about 10 hours on hold/on the phone today modifying and cancelling client reservations and fielding questions left and right, I definitely need some DIS time!

Thinking back to the night at Jocks with friends is definitely nice
But we didn't stay as late as we normally would have because we had early plans for the next day, MLK day! So please humor me while I veer from food for a bit (just a bit!) and share what got us up early that day:

That's right, we were doing the Destinations Discovered Tour in Epcot with Jenny and Joe! Jenny and I had started discussing if we should do a tour and we thought this day would be good since the parks would probably be most crowded; since Steve and I had already done the two bigger tours in the MK and also the UnDiscovered Future World tour here this one sounded good and is not that much $$. We needed to be there by 8 for an 8:15 start:

We walked around a bit before we got to the meeting spot and saw FW empty:

And eventually our approx 5 hour tour got started! Basically on the tour you go from pavilion to pavillion, seeing some behind the scenes areas and learning what lots of the details mean. You also learn some history behind each pavilions development with a few other little things thrown in. For instance-

This is a terrible picture but it was explained to us that the colors for TOT were determined based on the fact that it can be seen from Morocco! Notice the colors are similar. I took this just a bit to the left of the Port of Entry and of course zoomed in. I have to admit that I have NEVER noticed this before and it shocked me as the TOT's #1 fan! Obviously it's pretty far behind so doesn't look like this when you're there and I think since nobody is looking FOR TOT-it's not usually noticed. Cool huh?

I won't give away more details but here are some shots of our awesome guide and a couple spots we stop in Mexico and Italy to "discuss"

And an empty China pavilion!

We were still touring the WS when it opened but it was neat being there while closed. Fun fact, there was a wedding going on (or just ending) when we got past Germany and Cinderella's carriage was there 👡 However we were not allowed to photograph it as it was basically "out of place" and not in keeping with the WS theme.

Speaking of Germany you stop here for a rest and small snack with a bottle of water:

As I said small snack but it truly hit the spot and everything was fresh! Kelly @buzzrelly I almost took the Babybel and mailed it to you 😂

We finished up the 2nd half of WS and were done around 1. I highly recommend this tour if the content interests you at all! Having done KTTK, Marceline to the MK and then the 2 tours here I will say that I think I give the edge to the Epcot tours mainly because the details and trivia you learn are not the typical facts you see online and in books. So while the MK tours are awesome and give you some experiences you can't otherwise get, technically I learned more on the Epcot tours :thumbsup2

Besides the fact that we were like 4 popsicles due to the freezing weather we were parched at the end! We had lunch reservations coming up but made a quick run for a Bloody Mary

And for the life of me I can't remember where we found this! Remember Refreshment Port did not have one; Italy maybe although that doesn't sound right? Anyway it wasn't quite Refreshment Port or Dawa Bar BM but it was good nonetheless and we sipped this on our way to lunch.
Where did we go to lunch?

Next up is our lunch at Tokyo Dining!

However we were not allowed to photograph it as it was basically "out of place" and not in keeping with the WS theme.
Dumb, since I’ve seen brides’ photos of the carriage in world showcase - and Disney fine art photography took those photos! Nevertheless it sounds like a fun tour!!

Now I’m curious about where that Bloody Mary came from. Your photo looks like it was maybe on a bridge. Rose and Crown? The African outpost?

... off to wash my hands now ;)

OMG things have gone nuts! Does everyone else feel like the world is upside down? I was pretty good until DL and WDW closed right after all the state schools here did; then today our school district announced they're closing now through the 30th and all of a sudden I feel like nothing is normal :( Combine that with about 10 hours on hold/on the phone today modifying and cancelling client reservations and fielding questions left and right, I definitely need some DIS time!
There are NO words...I really hope things get back to normal quickly...

1. I highly recommend this tour if the content interests you at all!
I do too!!!!!

Besides the fact that we were like 4 popsicles due to the freezing weather we were parched at the end! We had lunch reservations coming up but made a quick run for a Bloody Mary
OMG! It was soooooooo cold. At times, I couldn't feel my fingertips...

Destinations Discovered is on my to do list. I did the Undiscovered Future World a couple of trips ago and really enjoyed it. I have done KTTK twice and Marceline to MK as well as Mickey’s Magical Milestones , Family Magic Tour and an older version of the Jungle Trek at AK. Can you tell I like a good tour ? I am also considering the MK food tour . Have you done that one ?

I'm still in shock. I don't know if I have good timing because at least I wasn't already down there, or the worst timing ever since WDW closes on the day we were supposed to arrive. I understand, but it's still a little depressing. I find myself just wandering aimlessly around The DIS not really being able to focus, so I'm glad you tagged me.

Speaking of Germany you stop here for a rest and small snack with a bottle of water:

As I said small snack but it truly hit the spot and everything was fresh! Kelly @buzzrelly I almost took the Babybel and mailed it to you 😂

That's a nice, healthy snack 😋

So while the MK tours are awesome and give you some experiences you can't otherwise get, technically I learned more on the Epcot tours :thumbsup2

We'll have to try one someday ::yes::

OMG things have gone nuts! Does everyone else feel like the world is upside down?
Yep :sad2:

Combine that with about 10 hours on hold/on the phone today modifying and cancelling client reservations and fielding questions left and right, I definitely need some DIS time!
OMG I can't imagine the hurdles you're jumping through right now to handle all this! I work at a public library and the place has been turned upside down as a result - I'm quarantining returned books for 5 days, not letting volunteers touch anything, using my limited supply of Clorox wipes :faint:to capacity, it's definitely crazy times. Let's hope it all goes away asap!

Finally... a tour that realizes you can't go half the day without some form of food! :thumbsup2

Next up is our lunch at Tokyo Dining!
I went here for the first time in August and - no joke - had one of the best meals of my life. Hope your experience was just as good!

Combine that with about 10 hours on hold/on the phone today modifying and cancelling client reservations and fielding questions left and right, I definitely need some DIS time!
Things must be insane for you right now between your trip, your family and your customers. And now there is talk of cancelling the Disney cruises for 30 days. I hope you get some good news soon. And I sincerely hope that things begin to open again after March 31st.
Destinations Discovered Tour in Epcot
That tour looks very interesting. I would be interested in doing that one. We have done KTTK and the Caring for Giants thing, which we enjoyed.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to do a tour, DH is concerned that too much behind the scenes will ruin the magic (i.e. Keys to the Kingdom). Do you think this tour would?

The shutdown is needed and sad and crazy. It does make me want to use my social distancing time to plan a trip, though. Hope your work days get better!

At some point Jenny and I decided to channel our inner Handmaids:
Ok there totally has to be more to this story. Spill the tea. Did you cloak yourselves in red table cloths? Make a napkin bonnet? Sell your wombs to the highest bidder?

This was a huge winner for Steve. Everything was fresh and the chicken cooked well; I don't eat much grilled chicken because 1. it's too healthy for me and 2. I find it's often rubbery. This was not. I did steal an apple slice as it's one of the few fruits I enjoy.
That chicken does not look good at all. I'm down for a grilled chicken salad but that one does not look appetizing in the least.

Love this and I'm usually not a fan of the dooney's. I only like tiny purses and unfortunately they never make them a good size for me

Oh I so have to get this for Jason!!! He'd love it

Surprisingly I'd never had the pretzel here and it was SO good. Soft and covered in "everything", and both the mustard and beer cheese were delicious. I think I left a very small piece and that was it.
I've never had this either though I'm not even sure we've ever eaten here just had all the drinks. But I must try this totally looks up my alley

The dates and manchego cheese? Perfect! I did shake off a bit of the nasty green stuff, was going to mail it to Kari @kastoney but it got stuck to some gum in my purse
Never mind the green bits, dates and manchego cheese? Who are you even???

OMG things have gone nuts! Does everyone else feel like the world is upside down?
Completely! No school here for the next month though so far work is still open for Jason and I. Casey will be selling running shoes and apparel until further notice :P Hope you are hanging in there in all seriousness. I can't even fathom how busy you must be

Ok. I give up. Your dining report has clearly been hijacked my fruit and cheese eating aliens

Yay..the EPCOT tour sounds lovely...and actually a lot like a tour that was one of my favorites...we did the Segway tour at EPCOT several years ago which was FABULOUS...and took us all around the World Showcase to give us fun facts in each of those places. Since one of those facts was the one you mentioned with ToT I wonder if there was some other overlap. I do miss that tour. Of course I've also loved the MK tours and Animal Kingdom tours as well. I don't think there was one I haven't liked to date. One of these days I'm hoping to do Behind the Seeds but my family (well kids at least) shoot it down every time.

Sorry it was so cold but sounds like you guys really did make the best of it! Also agree that these times are really crazy right now. I'm just waiting until they end up shutting down restaurants as they did in Ohio now. Good thing we have stocked up on some food.

This is a terrible picture but it was explained to us that the colors for TOT were determined based on the fact that it can be seen from Morocco! Notice the colors are similar. I took this just a bit to the left of the Port of Entry and of course zoomed in. I have to admit that I have NEVER noticed this before and it shocked me as the TOT's #1 fan! Obviously it's pretty far behind so doesn't look like this when you're there and I think since nobody is looking FOR TOT-it's not usually noticed. Cool huh?
I have known this awhile but I'm not quite sure where I learned it. But I always thought it was an interesting tidbit.

Dumb, since I’ve seen brides’ photos of the carriage in world showcase - and Disney fine art photography took those photos!
I think the issue is that it was NOT Disney taking the photos so they couldn't control the angles and what was in the pictures not where they were posted.
Now I’m curious about where that Bloody Mary came from. Your photo looks like it was maybe on a bridge. Rose and Crown? The African outpost?
I asked Steve but not surprisingly he doesn't remember! @Jenny Sanders do you happen to remember where Steve found the BM after our tour before lunch lol?
There are NO words...I really hope things get back to normal quickly...
I think all of us do :hug: I really do need to call you and catch up, I'm sure you know what's going on with the current DCP kids 😢
OMG! It was soooooooo cold. At times, I couldn't feel my fingertips...
And even standing in the sun the wind would be at our backs lol!
Destinations Discovered is on my to do list. I did the Undiscovered Future World a couple of trips ago and really enjoyed it.
Steve and I LOVED Undiscovered so much I'd actually like to do it again to see the differences now with all the changes going on. I think we probably will once it's all done.
I have done KTTK twice and Marceline to MK
I want to do one of these with the boys! Just another 1.5 years until Chris is old enough although I don't think he'd be interested; Ricky is though!
I am also considering the MK food tour . Have you done that one ?
I have not but I think Su-Lynn has? I don't even hear that much about it anymore. The only other tour I've done besides those 2 in MK and the 2 in Epcot is Up Close with Rhinos which was wonderful and I have booked again for July so the boys can do it :)
I'm still in shock. I don't know if I have good timing because at least I wasn't already down there, or the worst timing ever since WDW closes on the day we were supposed to arrive. I understand, but it's still a little depressing. I find myself just wandering aimlessly around The DIS not really being able to focus, so I'm glad you tagged me.
All I can say is you are not alone and I mean that from the bottom of my heart :grouphug:
That's a nice, healthy snack 😋
Right up your alley lol. Honestly though it was good and fresh and hit the spot.
OMG I can't imagine the hurdles you're jumping through right now to handle all this!
Please :rolleyes: I mean so is everyone else to differing degrees but yup. And while one day may be calmer it all hits the fan the next day and I know it's not over yet.
I work at a public library and the place has been turned upside down as a result - I'm quarantining returned books for 5 days, not letting volunteers touch anything, using my limited supply of Clorox wipes :faint:to capacity, it's definitely crazy times. Let's hope it all goes away asap!
I keep waking up each day hoping for good news rather than more closures but so far it hasn't happened. But it has to one day!
Finally... a tour that realizes you can't go half the day without some form of food! :thumbsup2
LOL I think that should be the tours slogan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!