Has anyWine seen my Poutine? A friendly January 2020 dining report * The Plaza Part 2 4/24**

I am expecting Disney to announce an extended closure soon. I can't imagine they would stay open if the schools are still closed. :(

We hopped on at the IG and got off at the Riviera to check it out quick as we hadn't been there yet.
We took the Skyway to check out the Riviera, too. I agree that the lobby is uninspiring and the gift shop is really small for a DVC resort.
Then from the lobby there are a few doors to little seating areas that look out over the grounds:
These sitting areas were my favorite feature of the resort. I could see them being extremely popular and seldom available because of it.

I liked all the outdoor activities like bocce ball. We had breakfast at the counter service restaurant and we not too impressed. It is really close to CBR and has a nice view across the lake. We can't quite bring ourselves to explore CBR yet. It looks like a long walk to everything over there.

Not to scare anyone but our schools are expected to be closed for 16weeks😱
WHOA that's double what they're saying needs to be the long end here! You hear different things and details change every day but in general they're saying to stay closed for 8 weeks as a suggestion.
We are less than a week in and let me tell ya, the novelty has definitely worn off!
LOL same here! We have just under 2 weeks left at minimum and while Chris is still ok Ricky is going nuts!
How depressing :sad2:
Both boxes are just sitting on my dresser, I don't have the heart to add them to my MB rubbermaid storage box yet 😥
I am expecting Disney to announce an extended closure soon. I can't imagine they would stay open if the schools are still closed. :(
I agree. I don't want to say it out loud and work wise we don't want to speculate but like you I don't see the parks opening with schools closed.
We took the Skyway to check out the Riviera, too. I agree that the lobby is uninspiring and the gift shop is really small for a DVC resort.
I was shocked! I expected so much more even just from the lobby.

Well I'm back again soon as I need a serious break from work :( If you know what I do you know it's been rough with no end in sight; I do hope you all are feeling ok during this, its definitely a trying time on our emotions and mental health.
Hope you are holding up ok. I can only fathom how rough its been and while have a great TA is an amazing perk, I know you aren't making any commission off of cancellations. Hopefully most can reschedule though. Hang in there!

Steve and I ate dinner here a few years ago "by accident' if you will, making a very last minute ADR and loving it.
Thats the same way we discovered it. Jason was sick while we were there a few years ago so Casey and I ventured here on our own. Its so nice to just be able to get an ADR last minute and have some good food. All the better if you can oogle your fellow diners and their drama :P

I don't know what to say other than it was good; it was Miso Soup and a better one than I've had at other restaurants.
Do you not see all those nasty fungi floating around in there? I thought we'd discussed this many times. Mushrooms bad! Miso good! Now repeat that 3 times

Lightly Fried Seasonal Vegetables

Impressive for you! I knew you weren't gonna get sushi so I had no idea what you'd go for. Throwing me for another vegetable loop.

I seriously love, love, love tempura. Our favorite sushi restaurant has a great one and we always get the shrimp and veggie combo. So good!

apparently he and our server were dating :eek: However the managers didn't like her dating him, you know because of the slight 30-40 year age difference -and she wasn't supposed to talk to him in there.
Seriously????? That is beyond super creepy. I"m talking about Steve staying back to talk to him now the old man of course :P Sounds like they have a lovely and not at all inappropriate relationship.

Still, I realize we all need to focus on the future, down the line when all is back to normal again 🌞

I look forward to this day.

Golden Grape
Plum Wine, stirred with Apple Juice, topped with a Cloud of Pinot Noir

Oo sounds good!

We, because we were nosy, assumed she took it because CM's aren't allowed to accept gifts from guests. We also assumed he was a creepy old guy hitting on our cute server. Remember this.

I would've made these same assumptions.

Back to the old guy next to us. We all left and Steve stayed behind to talk to him - why, I don't know

:rotfl: :rotfl: For the sake of my own curiosity, I'm glad he did!

The three of us waited outside like 15 minutes and he finally came out to tell us the "poor guys" story.........apparently he and our server were dating :eek: However the managers didn't like her dating him, you know because of the slight 30-40 year age difference -and she wasn't supposed to talk to him in there. They also had apparently just been to an AH at MK like the night before or whatever? So he brought the present which was some type of bread as a peace offering.

Yikes. How creepy. I wonder if they were truly in a relationship or if he just imagined they were:confused3. When I was a teenager (16-17), I worked at CVS and a customer in his 40s decided he was my boyfriend and would wait outside the store! There are some strange people in the world.

So is there anyone out there who's kids are still currently going to school? Anyone NOT relegated to their house unless they're out shopping for food or :drinking1 If you still have your total freedom enjoy it, and don't take it for granted! Still hoping Ricky gets to go back for some of his senior year; graduation isn't until 6/27 so at least in that respect we have a better chance than states where school ends earlier. For now we're spending lots of time playing board games-Disney themed of course- improvising with fruit snacks filling in for the traffic cones missing from our Disney Monopoly game:

I also need to stash the TWO sets of MB's we got for our April trip somewhere other than my dresser because it sucks seeing them all the time. Especially because I got another custom one that is TOTALLY groovy:

I shall wear B's again!! We ust be optiisti it will be sooner rather than later 💞

Yes that's the year MK opened as well as the year a certain someone was born :rolleyes1 Also excuse my pruny hands but you know, been washing them now as opposed to never washing them before. I even use soap!

We had returned to WL on that MLK day that seems so long ago now to rest up a bit after our tour as we had late evening plans. Around 6:30 possibly? Or possibly 6 or 7 lol a few of us met up for "dinner" at one of the bestest lounges in the Wilderness (Lodge) Territory Lounge:

We were lucky enough to eat again with Jenny and Joe @Jenny Sanders and the super famous Mr. and Mrs. @pepperandchips ! This has become one of my favorite places to meet up with friends especially when it's cold out as it seems so warm and cozy to me. And having been here often I have a go-to drink!

That's a typical white sangria that I cannot find the description of but it's good; and while Steve has been trying to stay away from Mules due to the sugar hence the switch to bourbon he did cave and have one here. I never really post the description of a Moscow Mule so for those of you who don't know what it is, I found that one!

Moscow Mule
Russian Standard Vodka, Fresh Lime Juice, and Pure Cane Sugar, topped with Fever Tree Ginger Beer

I know the sangria is a regular drink on their menu so not sure why I can't find it online unless it's gone now. Oh well, like my drink I also have favorite foods there. They offer mostly app-type foods which is fine with me especially the old Artist Point Mushroom Heavenly Bisque:

• Mushroom Bisque - Pistou, Sunflower Seed, Salsify

Look how creamy that is @kastoney ! That's that mushroom goodness. I first had this years back; I don't technically like mushrooms but the taste is fine. I had to try this because it got such rave reviews here and I was so glad I did! I honestly don't think the mushroom taste is strong like a cream of mushroom soup so if you love those funghi or just like them a bit you need to try this.

That was my dinner app and this was my meal:

• Nachos - Corn Chips, 'Burnt Ends', Queso, Pico de Gallo, Sour Cream

The description may not sound like much but those burnt ends make these nachos and I rate them 2nd only to the pulled pork nachos from Capt. Cooke's at the Poly. The serving is large enough that these and the soup along with the company made a perfect dinner!

Steve moved away from shrimp for once since there isn't any on the menu:

• Crispy Asian Chicken Wings - Soy Glaze, Sesame, Green Onion

He's had these before and loves the flavor; I know Chris would like them and am anxious to take the boys here hopefully in July. Steve wasn't feeling his normal self so that's all he got, the cold was starting to get to him especially after being out all day. He had a sore throat and was congested but he still was in for our after dinner plans!

Our night plans did not include being warm as you see; we were going to MK after hours! We said good-bye to Melinda and her hubby and took the boat to the park. The event started at 9 and while we planned on being there by 8:30, we were having too good a time hanging out and got delayed. Then the boat took forever so by the time we got there it was almost 9:30 but we still enjoyed 2.5 hours of freezing low crowd fun! We also did get to say hello and ride Pirates with the rest of our EPIC friends @chunkymonkey @disneyAndi14 @Mollydolly334 and I finally got to meet Caroline's adorable daughter and constant traveling partner Andi! She did opt for a princess meet while we rode Pirates though pirate:princess:

Clearly not the greatest ride photo! Poor Caroline is hidden and we were all supposed to cover an eye like pirates but Steve chose to be odd man out!

Back to the lounge I highly recommend stopping in if you never have even if just for drinks. It is more crowded now that AP is Storybook Dining because the restaurant is busier and then you find KIDS ALL OVER the lounge but if you can kick them out of the seats you're good! OK I don't mean that but I do lol.

Everyone have a safe week and let's hope this goes away quicker than the Debbie Downers predict 💜💜

Last edited:
Hope you are holding up ok. I can only fathom how rough its been and while have a great TA is an amazing perk, I know you aren't making any commission off of cancellations. Hopefully most can reschedule though. Hang in there!
Thank you so much my friend ♥ I hope you guys are good too. I will say that many of our vendors are being fantastic and protecting our commissions for cancelled trips so on that end it's not so bad but it stinks for all those cancelling their trips as some can reschedule and others can't. Overall though the industry is certainly taking a terrible hit
Thats the same way we discovered it. Jason was sick while we were there a few years ago so Casey and I ventured here on our own.
I remember!
Do you not see all those nasty fungi floating around in there? I thought we'd discussed this many times. Mushrooms bad! Miso good! Now repeat that 3 times
Did you not get the message from my granddaughter today? You eat what you're given :P
eriously????? That is beyond super creepy. I"m talking about Steve staying back to talk to him now the old man of course :P Sounds like they have a lovely and not at all inappropriate relationship.
Yeah sanitation workers can be creepy 🚛 Definitely not a Disney relationship though!
I look forward to this day.
:hug:
Yikes. How creepy. I wonder if they were truly in a relationship or if he just imagined they were:confused3. When I was a teenager (16-17), I worked at CVS and a customer in his 40s decided he was my boyfriend and would wait outside the store! There are some strange people in the world.
That's what I wonder! She looked uncomfortable but could be because her managers were watching? OMG when I was in college I did an internship at DYFS (Division for Youth and Family Services) and 2 of the caseworkers I worked closely with, both male and about 15-30 years older than me, were ALWAYS being inappropriate! Back then I laughed and dealt with it and honestly it didn't make me uncomfortable 😂 but if they said the things today that they said back then they'd be fired!

Still hoping Ricky gets to go back for some of his senior year; graduation isn't until 6/27 so at least in that respect we have a better chance than states where school ends earlier.

My brother's graduation is supposed to be 6/27 also! The last few months of senior year are the best part of high school- I'm so sad for all of them but hoping for the best.

That's a typical white sangria that I cannot find the description of but it's good;

Yum.

They offer mostly app-type foods which is fine with me especially the old Artist Point Mushroom Heavenly Bisque:

:love: :love: :love: I need this!!

OMG when I was in college I did an internship at DYFS (Division for Youth and Family Services) and 2 of the caseworkers I worked closely with, both male and about 15-30 years older than me, were ALWAYS being inappropriate! Back then I laughed and dealt with it and honestly it didn't make me uncomfortable 😂 but if they said the things today that they said back then they'd be fired!

😳😳 I've had coworkers like that through the years and I feel there's a fine line between funny and creepy. Sounds like the man in that restaurant didn't understand that line!

Brilliant that you got to enjoy some tasty food and drinks with great company! Your after hours sounds fun but you do look more than a wee bit chilly. I’m hoping you had a hot toddy or 2 to warm you in the lounge afterwards The pirates photo made me laugh so thanks for that.
i think you should hide your super cool magicband for now so it doesn’t make you sad, but I will warn you to hide it somewhere you will easily find it unlike the year I hid Christmas stocking filler presents only to find them the following April! :rotfl:

So is there anyone out there who's kids are still currently going to school? Anyone NOT relegated to their house unless they're out shopping for food or :drinking1
Nope, we're all here together, but Jimmy and I are doing school from home, while Rob the P.E. teacher just bothers us all day long!!! Definitely been out shopping for drinks more than anything....

I also need to stash the TWO sets of MB's we got for our April trip somewhere other than my dresser because it sucks seeing them all the time.
My MBs came on Friday, and made me so sad!!! Though I obviously still haven't pulled the trigger on cancelling, I think we all know it's coming :(

Excellent finger hook and hand-eye-patch placement, friends....except Steve LOL

So much to say...
Seeing your unusable MB's made me so sad.

We were lucky enough to eat again with Jenny and Joe @Jenny Sanders and the super famous Mr. and Mrs. @pepperandchips ! This has become one of my favorite places to meet up with friends especially when it's cold out as it seems so warm and cozy to me.
I agree. We had such a nice night at the good old TL...

Mushroom Bisque - Pistou, Sunflower Seed, Salsify
Yum!

Nachos - Corn Chips, 'Burnt Ends', Queso, Pico de Gallo, Sour Cream
These are my fav nachos in all of Disney only because I haven't had the ones at Captain Cooks yet...

We also did get to say hello and ride Pirates with the rest of our EPIC friends @chunkymonkey @disneyAndi14 @Mollydolly334 and I finally got to meet Caroline's adorable daughter and constant traveling partner Andi! She did opt for a princess meet while we rode Pirates though pirate:princess:
This was so awesome meeting up with our friends again this trip!!!! Yay for epicness!!!!

but Steve chose to be odd man out!
Steve didn't get the agenda. LOL!

I hope Ricky gets to go to a senior prom and have all the graduation fun that seniors usually have. You are lucky the school year ends so late. Most of the schools around here have a school year that ends close to the end of May. It is very sad to think they will be unable to experience all the normal graduation things. :(

We used to go to the Territory Lounge so many times and on multiple trips that a server named Chelsea knew me by name. ;) But between Geyser Point and the club lounge that we started using, we haven't been to Territory Lounge very often. But it is perfect for a January trip when it is too cold for Geyser Point. :)

That's a typical white sangria that I cannot find the description of but it's good
I love the white sangria they serve here. I wish more lounges served it because I like it more than red sangria.
The description may not sound like much but those burnt ends make these nachos and I rate them 2nd only to the pulled pork nachos from Capt. Cooke's at the Poly.
That is high praise indeed. ;) We like the nachos at TL, too.
Then the boat took forever so by the time we got there it was almost 9:30 but we still enjoyed 2.5 hours of freezing low crowd fun!
You must have been having a great time that night. I don't know if I would have been able to go to MK at night in the cold weather.

My brother's graduation is supposed to be 6/27 also! The last few months of senior year are the best part of high school- I'm so sad for all of them but hoping for the best.
One good thing about NY :) There's talk here about figuring something out for prom or similar if it does get cancelled but I'm still not losing hope that it will go on as planned! Same hope for your brother!
I've had coworkers like that through the years and I feel there's a fine line between funny and creepy. Sounds like the man in that restaurant didn't understand that line!
Either that or they ARE in a relationship, in which case one can only hope she gets a Visa out of the deal lol!
our after hours sounds fun but you do look more than a wee bit chilly. I’m hoping you had a hot toddy or 2 to warm you in the lounge afterwards
Oh man it was FREEZING! Here in NY we get cold; we get snow and ice. But that Florida cold is different with the humidity and it got on our bones ☠ but no way were we going to let it ruin after hours, the low crowds empty MK streets and walk on rides are too good to pass up!
i think you should hide your super cool magicband for now so it doesn’t make you sad, but I will warn you to hide it somewhere you will easily find it unlike the year I hid Christmas stocking filler presents only to find them the following April! :rotfl:
:laughing: I've done that! I'll just put them with all my other MB's but on top of the pile so I know right where to find them :thumbsup2
Oh I LOVE your MagicBand!!! :lovestruc Yes, we have to remain optimistic that this whole nightmare will end sooner than later.
::yes::
Meanwhile, while I wait this out, it's hard to motivate myself to do much else besides eat Girl Scout cookies and :drinking1
Well I'm right there with you on the 🍷 but my binge food of choice these days is a tub of edible cookie dough I stumbled upon at a grocery store I don't usually shop in :rolleyes1

Nope, we're all here together, but Jimmy and I are doing school from home, while Rob the P.E. teacher just bothers us all day long!!!
LOL! Good thing about the boys being older is I won't have to help them when they go to remote learning. Since they technically moved our spring break to now they don't have to start doing work until 3/30, although some teachers have sent it to them already.
My MBs came on Friday, and made me so sad!!! Though I obviously still haven't pulled the trigger on cancelling, I think we all know it's coming :(
Yeah........I fear we will be discussing this soon :sad1: and I feel so bad for you and your mom and Aunt!
I agree. We had such a nice night at the good old TL...
Cheers! 🍻
These are my fav nachos in all of Disney only because I haven't had the ones at Captain Cooks yet...
You really need to get the ones at Capt Cooks!
I hope Ricky gets to go to a senior prom and have all the graduation fun that seniors usually have. You are lucky the school year ends so late. Most of the schools around here have a school year that ends close to the end of May.
We are lucky we go so late, much better chance that we go back than those states where they end earlier. My sister lives in Georgia and they end right after Mother's Day.
We used to go to the Territory Lounge so many times and on multiple trips that a server named Chelsea knew me by name. ;)
That's great! Like with our Rony at Citricos. Makes you really feel like you're "home" :goodvibes
You must have been having a great time that night. I don't know if I would have been able to go to MK at night in the cold weather.
I don't necessarily want to go to MK when it's that cold again lol!

Ok the mushroom soup looked great. How does it compare to the one at Storybook Dining because I loved that one? The wings looked good also. So sad we are missing out on our Wilderness Lodge stay. May have to make sure when we rebook we do stay there. Whenever that may be. So many unknowns right now with our summer plans.

So my kids are home but I returned to work today. Then the governor announced that all non essential businesses had to close by 5pm today...but I have a government job so it doesn't apply to us. There are rumors that we still my close this week. We may find out tomorrow.

So sad for all the HS seniors this year. My kids in HS for now are supposed to return a week from today but I don't see that happening. I think the county is just trying to figure out what to do as evidenced by the survey I got today regarding the grade levels of kids in my household and if they had access to computers and internet. I expect we will know more if they have any hope of returning to school this year very soon.

I loved Tokyo dining with the flavored salts and the tempura was very light and tasty. Very weird situation with the older guy and young CM, if I had a quarter for each old codger who hit on me as a nurse, I could go to Disney every month, lol!
I really want to try the soup at TL, I am fast becoming a fan of the lounges! These are great for Andi and I
It was a cold evening and the lounge was a nice place to hang out before DAH. It was fun doing a few rides with you all! I’m sorry Steve wasn’t feeling the best.

Still hoping Ricky gets to go back for some of his senior year; graduation isn't until 6/27 so at least in that respect we have a better chance than states where school ends earlier.
Oh I so hope so too. Our governor cancelled school for the rest of the year on Monday. Seemed way too premature to me but Casey was oddly thrilled. "Thankfully" Jason is officially laid off otherwise once I go back to work I'm not sure what we would do.

Especially because I got another custom one that is TOTALLY groovy:

I have never seen this one. Yeah I'm sure it sucks to see it and all (blah blah blah I'm attempting to be sympathetic here) but love the vintage feel. This has Jason's name all over it!

Also excuse my pruny hands but you know, been washing them now as opposed to never washing them before. I even use soap!
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: I'm living with Jason and Casey the handwashing police who literally time me!

Love seeing you all together but not gonna like also super jelly we weren't there!!!!

Look how creamy that is @kastoney ! That's that mushroom goodness. I first had this years back; I don't technically like mushrooms but the taste is fine. I had to try this because it got such rave reviews here and I was so glad I did! I honestly don't think the mushroom taste is strong like a cream of mushroom soup so if you love those funghi or just like them a bit you need to try this.
And here I saw this picture and thought I'm not gonna throw any mushroom hate this time. And then you go and do this. 🤮🤮🤮

Our night plans did not include being warm as you see; we were going to MK after hours!
Ok you are just crazy. Who leaves the comforts of Terry-tory lounge and rinks for freezing in MK! Now not at all jelly :earboy2:

Ok the mushroom soup looked great. How does it compare to the one at Storybook Dining because I loved that one?
I could be wrong but I believe it's one and the same! We haven't been to Storybook but I think others who have had it both places confirmed that.
So sad we are missing out on our Wilderness Lodge stay. May have to make sure when we rebook we do stay there. Whenever that may be. So many unknowns right now with our summer plans.
I was really excited for you staying there and of course am sad for all of us missing trips :sad1: I remain confident that the trip we rebooked for Memorial weekend will happen and have no doubts our July and Sept. trips will go totally as planned!
So sad for all the HS seniors this year. My kids in HS for now are supposed to return a week from today but I don't see that happening. I think the county is just trying to figure out what to do as evidenced by the survey I got today regarding the grade levels of kids in my household and if they had access to computers and internet.
We are still supposed to go back 4/1 but anyone who needs a Chromebook will have theirs delivered by 3/30 so it is fairly obvious there will be an extension. Just hoping it's not through the end of our year................
Very weird situation with the older guy and young CM, if I had a quarter for each old codger who hit on me as a nurse, I could go to Disney every month, lol!
Ha! That's because you're so cute!
I really want to try the soup at TL, I am fast becoming a fan of the lounges! These are great for Andi and I
You know I'm a huge fan :) The boys like the lounges for the most part too and I prefer planning on going to those over making lots of ADR's now whether it's just Steve and I or all of us.
Our governor cancelled school for the rest of the year on Monday.
Ugh that blows! I've heard a few places are done for the year. I feel a bit more hope since our school goes to the end of June but we'll see how I feel when the next extension past 4/1 is announced. The kids are seriously wanting to go back.
I'm living with Jason and Casey the handwashing police who literally time me!
LOL!
And here I saw this picture and thought I'm not gonna throw any mushroom hate this time. And then you go and do this. 🤮🤮🤮
I believe this is the last post with shrooms...........until I get to WDW again :stitch2: 🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

I could be wrong but I believe it's one and the same! We haven't been to Storybook but I think others who have had it both places confirmed that.

I was really excited for you staying there and of course am sad for all of us missing trips :sad1: I remain confident that the trip we rebooked for Memorial weekend will happen and have no doubts our July and Sept. trips will go totally as planned!

We are still supposed to go back 4/1 but anyone who needs a Chromebook will have theirs delivered by 3/30 so it is fairly obvious there will be an extension. Just hoping it's not through the end of our year................

That's awesome about the soup...now I must go there!

Yeah I'm not feeling as confident about May...but I feel better about a July or August trip. In fact I'm considering another July 4th trip maybe as an alternate plan. I'd love to do May for my FILs birthday...but don't think that will happen.

As of today our schools have extended the closure through April 24th. They are all still trying to figure out what will be the next steps, if that's virtual or something else. Summer school has been thrown out there as well. Who knows.

Aw, I hope he gets to go back for graduation. My sister is a junior and her school play was pushed back, and prom might be cancelled, but they don't know how long they'll be out for yet.

Especially because I got another custom one that is TOTALLY groovy:

I got a retro Tomorrowland one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!