Has MS announced an end date to return borrowed points?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
My DH seems to think it’s the end of October. I cannot find that information anywhere. Thank you.

All that has been said that I am aware of has been it can end at any time.

I’m actually surprised they still are other than for trips to VGC.

Tom called MS and had it verified that borrowed points are being returned with no end date as of now.

I have suffered health setback, and December trip with DH is in jeopardy, all points there are borrowed. That was our motivation to find out. NJ requires quarantine...I want PT, can’t do both.

Tom called MS and had it verified that borrowed points are being returned with no end date as of now.

I have suffered health setback, and December trip with DH is in jeopardy, all points there are borrowed. That was our motivation to find out. NJ requires quarantine...I want PT, can’t do both.

There could be no announcement of an end date before it actually happens.

I have an AUG UY. We used 100 points from 2021 but our Jessie is in July21 so if I understand right if we cancel the 100 points go back into 2021 and not 2020?

I have an AUG UY. We used 100 points from 2021 but our Jessie is in July21 so if I understand right if we cancel the 100 points go back into 2021 and not 2020?

As of today, yes, they will return them if you cancel. But, as mentioned, we have no idea when they will stop and go back to normal rules.

I have suffered health setback, and December trip with DH is in jeopardy, all points there are borrowed.

I am so sorry to hear this. Even though we have never spoken face to face, we have "talked" through threads and I believe one December we were right across from each another in studios at Boardwalk and didn't know it until later. You are an important part of my Dis'er family. Hope you recover quickly. :flower3:

I am so sorry to hear this. Even though we have never spoken face to face, we have "talked" through threads and I believe one December we were right across from each another in studios at Boardwalk and didn't know it until later. You are an important part of my Dis'er family. Hope you recover quickly. :flower3:
Thank you, this means a lot to me. I hope sometime we are near each other and we KNOW it!

Just had to cancel our January trip due to DWs health issues as well - the exemption to return borrowed points is still valid as of Wednesday 28 Oct but the cast member I spoke with said it was likely 'ending soon' if anyone's on the fence.

I made a reservation for Sept 2021, borrowed a handful of points. Decided to cancel and switch to a different resort, but I wasn't really worried about the borrowed points because I knew they would get used. They were returned to my 2022 UY without me even asking.

Just had to cancel our January trip due to DWs health issues as well - the exemption to return borrowed points is still valid as of Wednesday 28 Oct but the cast member I spoke with said it was likely 'ending soon' if anyone's on the fence.
Sending well wishes!

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but on a somewhat related note is the temporary change to holding still in effect (i.e. that trips cancelled within 30 days will not be put into holding)?

We have an upcoming trip to Aulani this Xmas, but as we are in Canada we (at the moment) still cannot go without quarantining on arrival (as Hawaii has not yet signed on any “trusted partners” for the pre-arrival COVID test in Canada). I’d like to wait as long as possible before cancelling in the hope that they work something out re incoming tourists from Canada, but I don’t want to risk having such a large chunk of points go into holding, so wondering if my cut-off for cancelling is still 30 days before arrival.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but on a somewhat related note is the temporary change to holding still in effect (i.e. that trips cancelled within 30 days will not be put into holding)?

We have an upcoming trip to Aulani this Xmas, but as we are in Canada we (at the moment) still cannot go without quarantining on arrival (as Hawaii has not yet signed on any “trusted partners” for the pre-arrival COVID test in Canada). I’d like to wait as long as possible before cancelling in the hope that they work something out re incoming tourists from Canada, but I don’t want to risk having such a large chunk of points go into holding, so wondering if my cut-off for cancelling is still 30 days before arrival.

It is in effect today, but it can go back to normal at anytime and I would not count on notice from DVC.

IMO, I would make a decision based on the normal rules, which is 31 days or more..not 30 days.

If you don’t, and they change it back, you will be stuck.

I'm out of the loop on this policy and don't see it written anywhere. I experimented with my 2021 UY reservation that has 2022 borrowed points out of curiosity, and it says if I cancel, the borrowed points will be returned to the 2021 UY. It must not apply for borrowed 2022 points I assume, or else it not in effect any longer?

I'm out of the loop on this policy and don't see it written anywhere. I experimented with my 2021 UY reservation that has 2022 borrowed points out of curiosity, and it says if I cancel, the borrowed points will be returned to the 2021 UY. It must not apply for borrowed 2022 points I assume, or else it not in effect any longer?
If anything, I'd assume the 50% borrowing limit applies going forward until something different is announced. The conditions that support the restriction still exist, and will probably continue into 2022 and possibly longer.

This is from the members website - you can see that there is no end date is included:

"In light of this and to help with Resort availability in the coming year, Members who want to borrow Points to complete a reservation will temporarily only be able to borrow up to 50 percent of their future Use Year Points per contract. Doing this will help manage inventory and accommodate more Members who want to schedule their vacations once the Resorts reopen. This temporary policy applies to all Disney Vacation Club reservations and exchanges. Points already borrowed for a stay outside the closure period will be honored, even if they are above the 50 percent threshold. Members who book a new reservation or multiple reservations online, borrowing more than 50 percent of their Vacation Points per contract, will have their reservation(s) exceeding the 50 percent maximum cancelled automatically within 7 days."

Last edited:
If anything, I'd assume the 50% borrowing limit applies going forward until something different is announced.
I guess I'm misunderstanding what the OP is about. I know about the 50% limit. I just don't understand what it has to do with returning borrowed points.

I guess I'm misunderstanding what the OP is about. I know about the 50% limit. I just don't understand what it has to do with returning borrowed points.
Maybe nothing, LOL.

I just assumed that they will also return borrowed points for as long as the limit is in effect, because the purpose was to reduce the "supply" of points chasing availability (until the glut from the closure gets absorbed or expires). But my reply was less than clear, so thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify.

I had borrowed 2022 points returned and I wasn't expecting it at all. It took a few days after I cancelled.

I had borrowed 2022 points returned and I wasn't expecting it at all. It took a few days after I cancelled.

Ah, so that is some new information. My current reservation in question is way out there at 11 months and I'm not really married to it, it was just a whim. I may cancel it as an experiment to see what happens.

Ah, so that is some new information. My current reservation in question is way out there at 11 months and I'm not really married to it, it was just a whim. I may cancel it as an experiment to see what happens.

I think they do not have the language updated on purpose. This way, when people borrow they know the real rules

If DVCM decides to continue the process of putting them back they can, but don’t have to worry about making sure the language states that,

So, one should only borrow not expecting the rules to apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!