Have you ever had Castaway Cay cancelled?

Yes we missed out on Castaway Cay inDecember 2002 due to rough seas, we had a day at sea instead. We are going again this December o hope we will be lucky this time

While we have missed Castaway Cay two times out of 3 cruises.....we have still had incredibly great experiences both times we have missed it!!

We, too, were caught by Hurricane Floyd (glad to see so many other "Floyd" veterans from September 99) and the winds just wouldn't cooperate on our Halloween 01' cruise despite really heroic efforts by the ship's captain to get us there.

So, we will try again over Christmas 03 and see what "Santa Mickey" brings our way. Good Luck!!

We didn't make CC in September '99 after the island was devastated by Hurricane Floyd. We were diverted to Key West, which can't be considered a substitute :(

We weren't able to go to Castaway Cay on our last cruise either. The captain stayed in the area a few hours, kind of just circling, hoping the weather would change and they could dock but we were never able to. We'd been there on our first cruise so to tell you the truth, we weren't all that disappointed not to see it again but people on the ship who'd never been there were disappointed. We just had another "sea day." I'm hoping we can get there on our next cruise in January, as my parents will be with us and this will be their first cruise.

As for cruising in January, you take your chances with the weather then just as you do any other month. I've heard people go during the summer that had bad weather, so winter isn't the only time for bad weather to spoil a cruise.

We missed in April 2001 when the Magic broke in St. Thomas. By the time repairs were made, it was too late to make it. DCL issued letters good for 50% off a future cruise within 3 years, which we are using in 2 weeks on the 8/9 Magic eastern cruise. Aside from missing CC, the real disappointment to us was that it was carnival in St. Thomas, and we sat on the veranda watching the party ashore, but because we had already been cleared by customs, we could not go back ashore. Had we been able to go back to the celebration, no problem!:bounce:

We've missed once out of 5 cruises, Halloween cruise 2001. As Ginny mentioned in her previous post the Capt. did give it his all.

We have cruised in January 01 and 03. Made it to CC both times. The first time it was really hot and the beaches fabulous. The second time it was milder and we were unable to use the adult beach as it was covered in seaweed due to the sea conditions.

I suppose as with anything else, you take your chances with the weather. We have been to WDW 4 times in January and found the weather to be really hot compared to home. :cool:

ayup
Had Castaway Cay cancelled, St Marten cancelled, St Thomas cancelled - entire cruise cancelled!

Swandiverpat, Dont worry about it, if it happens (as it did to us 12/02) you will have a day at sea may not be CC but it is still a day on a cruise ship. Any destination on ANY cruise line can be missed. It happens.

Steve

PS: Feel free to ignore the sour grapes of one of the previous posters. That has been going on for almost a year now:rolleyes:

Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
ayup
Had Castaway Cay cancelled, St Marten cancelled, St Thomas cancelled - entire cruise cancelled!

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My apologies to the others in this thread, I do feel for you, but I have totally had it with the mooning over the 'lost' cruise by this particular person. Welcome to my ignore list.

We've had CC missed. whole vacations outright canceled, no substitutions, but I don't go crying on about it almost a year later. You really need to seek professional help, IGTD.

Originally posted by atigeg
actually it's 33 of 33

seems like Jan, Feb and March have the highest chances of not docking due to the winds from the winter cold fronts.

We have been very lucky. On both our cruises (Wonder '01 and Magic '03) the ship was able to doc at CC.

My folks are coming with us in Feb '04. We have talked about our WDW/DCL trips so much, they really wanted to tag along. CC is always the highlight, so I am hoping Murphy's Law does not come into play this time around :confused: :confused: :confused:

Originally posted by jott3
In February 2002 we missed Castaway Cay because of really bad winds. They tried to dock the ship multiple times, but finally gave up. It was very depressing watching this from our verandah.

Next they tried to take us to Freeport, but even with tugboats we were not able to dock. It turned into a day at sea, which was still fun, but everyone was disappointed about missing Castaway Cay. They reprinted the Navigators and added more activities, but I don't remember what they were.

Wowsers.... SSB was on that very cruise!!! Had to be the same one, as exact dealee. Had fun up on deck watching during the Freeport part... BIG winds!!!!!

Luckily, the only one out of seven that SSB did not make CC...

:)

I was on that same cruise in Feb with you, SSB and Jett! I was also up on deck watching us try to get into Freeport! It was very windy at the pool, and even though we didn't get to Castaway Cay it was a great day!

I've had one other time that we didn't get into Castaway Cay which was the end of Sept '01, due to a tropical depression going through the area.

I have my fingers crossed for our 3 night cruise this October!

We went September 12th 2001. Sailed the day after the tragedy, missed Castaway Cay due to tropical storm and returned home to find that the storm had knocked out power and downed trees. Despite all that is was an awesome trip, going again in exactly one month.

I got one for November! I'm thinking it was in 2002, mid November, the Magic tried twice and was unable to dock due to winds and waves. The waves were actually breaking over the dock. It was disappointing, but was a cloudy and windy day, so it wouldn't have been a very good beach day anyway. I've sailed four times, and have only missed 1 Casaway Cay day...not too bad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter