"Have you ever seen something so Wonderful in your entire life?" - a January 2012 trip report now with PICTURES

DLfan4

Cant wait for another trip to DLR
"Have you ever seen something so Wonderful in your entire life?" - Ariel , The Little Mermaid.

Let's take a trip back to January 2012 for our week visiting Disneyland , Disney California , Seaworld, Universal Studios and Knotts.

Last edited:
TRIP PLANNING
On this trip will be me, DH, DD7 and DD7. We are travelling from Winnipeg Manitoba to California.
Joining us will be my Cousin S, his wife A, and their boys DN4 and DN1. They will be travelling from Northern California.

We decided on this trip because we wanted to take DD7 and DD7 to Disneyland. Many friends told us to Fly Allegiant Air from Fargo, North Dakota, as the flights were direct, and the cost was much less than what we would pay flying out of Winnipeg. We found a fantastic deal.
Return Airfare for the 4 of us from Fargo to LA, car rental for the week, and a weeks stay at the Knotts Berry Farm resort hotel.... all for less than just return airfare from Winnipeg. So we booked it.

Cousin S mentioned that we should get the Southern California City Pass. He said we could pick them up a costco in California.
So we searched Costco.ca and we were able to purchase the 4 Southern California Citypass tickets for approx $1000 Canadian total (if i remember correct). The Citypass at that time included 3 day parkhopper tickets at Disneyland Resort ( w/ 1 magic morning), 1 day Seaworld, 1 day Universal . We also got a great deal on Knotts Berry farm tickets, so we bought then as well, since we were staying on property anyway.

We were flying out Sunday January 15th and staying until Sunday January 22nd.

maps.jpg

Stay tuned to find out more.

Last edited:
Trip planning

We decided to keep the trip a secret and surprise the girls on Christmas morning. Then it was so much fun planning the trip with the girls.

This was DD7 and DD7 first trip to Southern California. Thier First trip to any Disney park.
This was my 3rd trip to Disneyland, but first to DCA.
This was my DH 2nd trip to Disneyland, but first to DCA.

Back in December 2011 and early January 2012, when we were planning the trip, I did not yet know about the Dis Unplugged. So we used the Disney website . We let the girls pick which rides were their top choices, and we looked at restaurants. They only sit down meal we planned was Ariels Grotto for lunch, so we made a reservation for Wednesday Jan 18th.

buttons.jpg

Stay tuned for more

Sunday, January 15th, 2012

We got up early and drove ( from just outside Winnipeg) to Fargo, North Dakota. Even though our flight was not until 2 pm, we arrived in Fargo at 9:00 am. We wanted to give ourselves alot of time to drive, since it was winter.

We first went to find the airport and see where the Park and Fly parking lot was. ( I think the parking cost us around $45 us total to park for the week) Then we went out to find a place to eat. We found great home cooked place called "Mom's Diner" . We all have a good breakfast.
After breakfast we headed to the airport. There was no lineup at the Allegiant Air counter, and no lineup at security. We went to our gate, got something to drink and then sat and relaxed until our flight.

Right by our gate they had this cool electronic TV floor with kids games. The floor would change from one game to another. Things like X's and Os, snakes and ladders, etc. You just step on the screen. It was very cool and kept the girls entertained while we waited.

We had a direct flight to LAX. We bought some snacks to eat on the plane.

when we arrived in LAX we took a shuttle to our car rental place, and then drove to the Knotts Berry Farm hotel. We got our room, and then went shopping to get some supplies for the week ( water, breakfast items, snacks to take into park).

The we went to The Outback Steakhouse for dinner. The weather was awesome.

Next up our cousins join us at our first park of the week.

Last edited:

Wow, I'm impressed you can remember such details from over 8 years ago! I forgot they had a city pass.

Wow, I'm impressed you can remember such details from over 8 years ago! I forgot they had a city pass.

It was so amazing that I remember every bit of it. I do have a few small notes jotted down as well to trigger the memories.

I have to get back to this trip report soon, when i have some time to upload some pictures.

thanks for following CO2CA

Monday January 16, 2012 - Knotts Berry Farm day

We got up and ate in our room. ( a Fruit platter and some pastries we picked up at the grocery store the night before). My Cousin and his family were driving down from the San Jose area to join us. My cousin said we could head into the park and he would meet us when they arrived, but we said no, we would wait for them. So while we were waiting we went to a grocery store nearby (Albertsons) to pick up some more snacks for the room and to take into the park. We found those little apple slices in baggies, which were a perfect snack for the park. For the park each day we packed water bottles, a small ice pack, apple slices , raw veggies, goldfish and granola bars.

At around 11 there is a knock on our door and it was my cousin and his family. We spent a few minutes talking. It was over 6 yrs since i saw my cousin, and this was my first time meeting his wife and kids.

We all then headed to Knotts Berry farm. The park is behind the hotel. The kids were excited. We headed into Snoopys Camp. The kids rode the rides in Camp Snoopy. If I remember correctly they rode Lucy's Tugboat, The Camp Bus, Woodstocks airmail, Snoopy's Great Sk8. We watched the Peanuts live show and one of the kids were chosen to be part of the show. We rode a few family rides like the Grand Sierra train, the stagecoach, the Calico mine train, and Calico railroad. For lunch my cousin said we should eat at Panda express. We did, but the food was not good.

A little while later half of us went back to the hotel to rest and the other half stayed and rode a few more rides. like some mild roller coasters like the Pony Express and Jaguar.

Then we ordered some Knotts Chicken to-go on the way back to the hotel, and also some soup from the hotel restaurant and ate in the hotel.

We went to bed early. We were going to have an early morning at Disneyland the next day.

Last edited:

Tuesday January 17, 2012 - our first Disneyland Day,

Today was the day we are all the most excited for. Our Disneyland early entry morning.

We got up and ate in breakfast in our hotel ( fruit platter, pastries). We had about a 10-15 minute drive to Disneyland. But we first drove to the hotel my cousins were staying at, which I think was a RedRoof Inn perhaps? Then we followed them to a nearby Starbucks to get coffees for adults and juices for the kids, and then headed to Disneyland.

We arrived early, and went to the Mickey and Friends parking structure. Then we took the tram from the parking structure to downtown Disney.

It was an amazing first day at Disneyland. Stay tunned to hear more.....

Last edited:
Tuesday January 17, 2012 continued. - Our first Disneyland day continued

We arrived for early entry. The line was not too bad. When we were let in, we were allowed in the hub area only. There were many characters to meet and greet us. We got pictures with Minnie, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Pinnoccio w/ Gheppetto. We then went to the city hall to get First visit badges.

Once the rope dropped, we went went under the castle into fantasyland. But we first took a few pictures in front of the castle.
We then rode most of the fantasyland rides. Pinnoccio, Snow white, Dumbo, Mr Toad, Storybook land, Casey jr, Carousel, Alice, Mad Tea party, small world Holiday version.. The line-up for Peter pan was long we we skipped it. Matterhorn was down for refurbishments ( i believe it was for the change in the seat cushions?)

While in Fantasyland we go Disney hats/ears for all the kids. While waiting in line the kids had the snacks we brought with us ( apple slices, goldfish, veggies) I think we might have gotten churros and I think my cousin bought big lollipops for the kids.

Then we headed into Toontown to meet Mickey and get our picture with him. We then toured Minnies hours, Chip and Dale treehouse. Donalds boat, Goofys house. We saw Pluto again and took a picture with him. We rode Roger Rabbit, and some of us rode Gadgets coaster.

My daughters wanted to meet the Pincessess, which back in 2012 met that the Disney Princess Fantasy Faire ( by the Troubadour Tavern). So we went to meet the princesses while my cousin and his boys stayed in Toontown. In the Princesses fantasy faire we met Tiana, Ariel, and Belle.

We were hungry for lunch, and my cousin said we must experience Blue Bayou so we all headed there. We got in without having a reservation. We just walked in. We all really enjoyed our meals. I had the sustainable fish I believe. It was nice to sit and relax and talk with my cousin and his family.

stay tunned to hear more.......

Last edited:
Tuesday January 17, 2012 continued. - Our first Disneyland day continued

After lunch I believe we walked around New Orleans and rode Pirates. (Haunted Mansion was down to remove the overlay, which I was sad about, as that is one of my favorites. ) Then we rode Jungle cruise, Pooh and Indiana Jones. (Indy was the only ride with a long lineup waited for today).

We did a bit of shopping in Frontierland. and then mainstreet. The girls bought these beads and chain for a make-yourself necklace in fronteirland, then they also bought Minnie earings, and it was starting to get cool the girls and I bought Disneyland hoodies.. DH bought a Disneyland t-shirt.

Then we all then headed to Tommorrowland. We rode Buzz lightyear, Nemo, The monorail.

We wanted to get something light to eat before the parade. So we went to the Tomorrowland Terrace. All the kids ordered the Kids Power Pack which included a small milk, yogurt, cheese string, goldfish and apple slices. DH went to Redd Rockets Pizza port and ordered a yummy Asian Salad for us to share. (i cant remember what my cousin and his wife ate).

We wanted to watch the parade, so we went to the little trail between Fantasyland and Pixie hollow to sit and wait for the parade. That little path was a perfect spot to sit and watch the parade. There is a little lily pond that has lights that "dance". So the kids were entertained while we waited. Then we watched the Soundsational Parade.

After the parade we saw a Photopass photographer by the castle so we took a bunch of pictures. Some with just our family of 4 and some with all 8 of us. We left the park and headed back to our hotel for the night.

Stay tunned to hear about our first California Adventure day........

Last edited:
Wednesday January 18, 2012 - California Adventure day 1

We got up, ate breakfast in our room and headed to Disney. We parked in Mickey and Friends, and took the Tram to Downtown Disney. DH and I wanted a coffee so we stopped at La Brea Bakery for coffees, and the kids got a pastry I think?

The lineups were not that long and soon we were in California Adventure.
There were alot of scrims and fences up, as they were still working on Buena Vista street and Carsland. So there was a long fence from the gates through Golden State ( which is now called Grizzly Peak ) to Paradise Pier (which is now Pixar Pier ) . The first ride we rode was Ariels Undersea adventure. There was no lineup at all ! So the CM let us stay on the ride and we rode a 2nd time. We did many rides in Paradise Pier, all which we were the only people on the ride! The Golden Zephr , Jumpin Jellyfish, Silly symphony swings, and Goofys sky school, King Tritons carousel., TSMM .

Today was the only day we had a dining reservation (which we really didnt need as there was only a very short line). We wanted to have lunch at Ariels Grotto. We had a small wait on the stairway to meet Ariel. The girls got thier picture with Ariel and then they asked if we wanted to eat inside or outside on the patio. We chose the patio, while everyone else at the resturant chose inside. It was so nice, sitting on the patio overlooking the pier on January 18th ( back home it was cold and snowy). The meal was "family style". We got some bread to share. Thenrse is a tiered tray with various items. The tiered Antipasta tower had little fish/sea shaped jelllos, little pickles, fruit and veggies , meats and cheese ( if i recall correctly) . One of the layers was a family size salad to share. We all really enjoyed the Antipasta tower and salad.
For the main course I had the fish, DH had the Tri-tip I think? and DD1 and DD2 had the pasta.

During this time the princesses would come out, one by one, and then come to meet us. Since we were the only people on the patio they seems to spend alot of time at our table. We saw Snow White, Belle, Aurora, Cinderella and Tiana. .

Then our dessert platter arrived. There were many yummy treats on the platter. We shared with our waitress that we were celebrating on our trip and so they gave us a complimentary brownie.

We really enjoyed eating and relaxing on the patio. This is one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Stay tunned to hear more....Ariels Grotto entrance.jpgariels grotto food.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday January 18, 2012 - California Adventure day 1 continued

After lunch a some of us went to ride California Screamin' while others went back to Ariels Undersea.

We went on Mickey's fun wheel swinging ( I did NOT like that).

We got a softserve icecream from the icecream shop in Paradise pier ( which is now the Abominal snoman icecream shop)

Then we went to Bugs land. We watched Its tough to be a bug then went on Heimlichs, Tuck and Rolls Buggies,, Francis' ladybug boogie, and fliks flyers.

Then we went on Tower of Terror, Monsters, Muppet Vison, Turtle Talk ( my girls got to ask Crush a question) and the sorcerers workshop.
on the way out we road soarin' over California.

We left the park early, and decided to eat outside of the park close to our hotel. We ate at TGI Fridays at the Knotts Berry market area.
Then we went back to hotel to relax and get a good nights sleep. We would be getting up early to drive to San Diego in the morning.view from mickey wheel.jpgtower or terror.jpg

Last edited:
Thursday Jauary 19, 2012 - our Seaworld day

( i have alot of pictures, once i am able to upload them, i will edit the posts to include the photos)

We got up early, got ready and ate in the room. We met up with our cousins, stopped at Starbucks for coffee/juice and then headed down the PCH to San Diego. It was a beautiful drive. We arrived at Seaworld, and had to switch our CityPass card to a SeaWorld card. The lineup was not very long to enter.

The first thing we did when we arrived was go up in the Skytower (Observation tower ). From the tower we could see amazing views of San Diego and the Ocean.

Then we went to the childrens area called Sesame Street Bay of Play, and rode Elmos flying fish, Abbys sea star spin, and Oscars rocking eel. There was a childrens rope course the the kids spent alot of time climbing on. They also tried a game where you try to climb a turning latter to the top. We got to meet Elmo and his friend and take pictures with them.
Then we went to the Sesame street show. "Lights Camera Imagination".

We all wanted a snack, so we went to the Seaside Cafe and Bakery. We got strawberries w/ whipped cream for the girls to share, while DH and I each got a coffee and shared a muffin.

We then went to see the Blue Horizon Show. One Ocean show and Sea Lions live show. We made sure not to sit in the "wet zone".

We then went to visit most of the exhibits. I cant remember them all, but I know we visited the Shark encounter, Turtle reef and Penquin encounter for sure.

We then went to Wild Artic exhibit, and was surprised that the exhibt mentions a flight to "Winnipeg" , which is where we are from, which was cool ( i have a picture that i will find and upload soon)

We shopped around for souveniers, DH and I each got a t-shirt. DD1 got a Dolphin Trainer Barbie (comes with a dolphin) and DD2 got a stuffed Shamu wearing a santa hat.

Then we headed back to our hotel. But first we stopped in San Diego at a Black Angus Steakhouse. All the adults got the steak, I can't rememvber what the kids ate. The adults had fun relaxing and talking. The kids had fun playing on the DS Game.

We got back to the hotel and went to bed early, as we would be going back to Disney;and (and parkhop to California Adventrue) in the morning, to ride the attractions we missed the other days.

Stay tuned for more .....seaworld.jpgseaworld2.jpgseaworld3.jpgseaworld4.jpg

Last edited:
TRIP PLANNING
On this trip will be me, DH, DD7 and DD7. We are travelling from Winnipeg Manitoba to California.
Joining us will be my Cousin S, his wife A, and their boys DN4 and DN1. They will be travelling from Northern California.

We decided on this trip because we wanted to take DD7 and DD7 to Disneyland. Many friends told us to Fly Allegiant Air from Fargo, North Dakota, as the flights were direct, and the cost was much less than what we would pay flying out of Winnipeg. We found a fantastic deal.
Return Airfare for the 4 of us from Fargo to LA, car rental for the week, and a weeks stay at the Knotts Berry Farm resort hotel.... all for less than just return airfare from Winnipeg. So we booked it.

Cousin S mentioned that we should get the Southern California City Pass. He said we could pick them up a costco in California.
So we searched Costco.ca and we were able to purchase the 4 Southern California Citypass tickets for approx $1000 Canadian total (if i remember correct). The Citypass at that time included 3 day parkhopper tickets at Disneyland Resort ( w/ 1 magic morning), 1 day Seaworld, 1 day Universal . We also got a great deal on Knotts Berry farm tickets, so we bought then as well, since we were staying on property anyway.

We were flying out Sunday January 15th and staying until Sunday January 22nd.

View attachment 517411

Stay tuned to find out more.
sounds awesome!!

I have found my trip notes, and have gone and made a few minor edits to the trip report.

Friday January 20, 2012.

Today was our last day at the Disney parks. Our plan was to ride the attractions we missed. We first headed into Disneyland.

We walked with purpose as fast as we could to Peter Pan. We had a wait, but it wasnt too bad. Then we went on Mr Toad again.

DH ran over to California Adventure to get a paper fastpass for World of Color. This was the only fastpass we got on this trip.

We went to pixie hollow and took pictures with Tinkerbell.

We went to tomorrow land and rode Autopia, Star tours, Buzz again, and then Captain EO. For lunch we ate at the tommorland terrance.
Thats when we noticed DH did not have his backpack. It wasnt too much worry, nothing important was in it, but it did have all our water, and snacks,. We realized that he must have forgotten it in Captain EO. So we headed to the exit and sure enough, someone had found it and gave it to a CM.

Then we at at Tommorowland. The kids got the kids powerpack again, and DH and I shared a Salad from pizza port.
We then rode the railroad around the park.

We took the raft to pirates lair and the kids had fun explorng the island. We took alot of cute pictures of the kids on the island. We then did Big Thunder. then Splash, and went to explore Tarzan treehouse and then the Tiki room.

We got Mickey icecream bars and Mickey icecream sandwhiches and sat overlooking the Rivers of America.

Then we headed to California Adventure for the afternoon.

Stay tuned ....

Last edited:
Friday January 20, 2012 continued.....

In the afternoon we went into California adventure. The other days the girls saw the characature/portrait artists and really wanted to get thier Characatures and portraits done. So we went to paradise pier artists booths. 1 got a characature and 1 got a portrait. They make beautiful souveniers, i would recommend everyone getting this done.

Then we went to see the Aladdin Show at the Hyperion Theatre. That was an awesome show, the Genie was fantasitc. Too bad they dont have this show anymore.

We went to Taste Pilots Grill ( what is now Smokejumpers ) for dinner. The kids shared an order of Ribs, DH and I shared a Blue cheese burger, and we got some fries and onion rings to all share.

We then used our Fast Passes to go to the World of Color. We arrived early, and were the first ones in our roped off area. But then it started to get packed and more packed and people sneaking in front of us... We got to see the show, but not as good of a view as I had hoped for. But the show was amazing.

We left California Adventure, then I quickey popped back into Disneyland Main street to get a few souveniers for the people watching our pets/home. While we were shopping the fireworks were still going on so we saw a bit of them.

We said our goodbyes to the Disneyland resort. Tomorrow we would be going to Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!