Hawaii COVID Testing

neurosx1983

Mouseketeer
Just wanted to start a thread dedicated to those of us that are confused about COVID testing prior to landing in Hawaii to avoid quarantine after October 15. Obviously things can change rapidly and, personally, who knows how things will be around Christmas-time this year.

Assuming things are the same, though, it seems like the best option that I'm seeing is for those flying out of SFO where United is providing rapid tests (for a hefty price)

We are booked on a straight flight out of NYC- The thing that is confusing for us is to find out which tests Hawaii will recognize. It would be terrible to land there after an 11 hour flight to find out the test we took in the NYC area wasn't recognized.

As a United flyer I'm hoping that United sets up a similar facility in Newark to administer the test

The only thing they've mentioned for sure is that they're partnering with CVS and Kaiser to provide the tests. Of course, since Oct 15 is still a couple of weeks away, they really don't need to roll out details until maybe 5-7 days before. Given how they've done things up until now, I wouldn't expect details to come sooner than the last minute. <Sheesh...I sound like such a downer, but don't mean to!>

Hawaiian Airlines is offering a 36 hour turnaround drive thru Covid test, as well as a pricier day of test, in Los Angeles to all of its passengers.

Hawaiian Airlines is offering a 36 hour turnaround drive thru Covid test, as well as a pricier day of test, in Los Angeles to all of its passengers.

Dang, when I moved my flight, I was able to grab Long Beach(much easier to fly in/out of), but now see that the testing sites will be "nearby" the airports. I'm sure it should work out fine.

Dang, when I moved my flight, I was able to grab Long Beach(much easier to fly in/out of), but now see that the testing sites will be "nearby" the airports. I'm sure it should work out fine.
Are you flying out of SoCal? If not, maybe a better idea to get the test at your point of origin. But I agree that it will work out fine! Am sure we’ll have a bunch of options as Hawai’i looks to jumpstart tourism.

Hoping people will report starting Oct. 15th their personal experiences, we go November 5th, but Aulani isnt opening till the 1st. So hope it opens on time, since i will be tested on the 2nd.

Are you flying out of SoCal? If not, maybe a better idea to get the test at your point of origin. But I agree that it will work out fine! Am sure we’ll have a bunch of options as Hawai’i looks to jumpstart tourism.
Sure am. I'm about 10 minutes away from Disneyland so LAX, Long Beach, and John Wayne are all options. It's just A LOT easier to fly out of LB or OC.

The guidance says only that the test must be a NAAT test (aka a PCR test) that's done by a CLIA certified lab. There are lots of places that you can get a test like that whether it be an urgent care, hospital, government test site, etc. Just ask to make sure it's a PCR test and that the lab is CLIA certified (95% chance it would be).

As for the turnaround time-- it certianly varies by region. I'm in NYC and it's fast here. I have friends that went to Costa Rica last week and got 3 different tests to make sure they had one come back within 72 hours. One place they got the results back in 8 hours, and the other two were the next day. All of those were PCR tests from CLIA labs and all but one was free.

QUESTION regarding the TIME of testing: I believe it must be 72 hours from the TIME I LAND??? IF I am coming from the DFW airport, non stop, then I need to take my time zone into consideration? I need to test based on HAWAII TIME? is this correct? if so, we land at 345 pm , but in DFW that is 745 PM meaning i cant test till the "next" day and might not have my results in time (says 2-3 days) and we leave on a friday.

Does anyone know if they will still allow is to rent a car if the results are not in??

QUESTION regarding the TIME of testing: I believe it must be 72 hours from the TIME I LAND??? IF I am coming from the DFW airport, non stop, then I need to take my time zone into consideration? I need to test based on HAWAII TIME? is this correct? if so, we land at 345 pm , but in DFW that is 745 PM meaning i cant test till the "next" day and might not have my results in time (says 2-3 days) and we leave on a friday.

Does anyone know if they will still allow is to rent a car if the results are not in??

It's within 72 hours from departure on your last leg (if you had a connection). Say your flight left at 2pm on Friday, you'd need to get tested after 2pm on Tuesday or later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!