Hawaii COVID Testing

Oh so if it’s non stop form DFW then it’s from the time my flight takes off? I totally misunderstood—thank you!!

I saw that yesterday too. Makes sense due to the requirements on the test that Hawaii is demanding. You'd hate to take a test only to find out that it's just a tiny bit different than Hawaii's standards.

Surely we'll be finding out more and more as the 15th approaches. For my upcoming trip in November, I thought that I'd go through CVS since there are a ton of them everywhere, but I haven't heard a peep as to how they're running the Hawaii test. We're flying out on Hawaiian and they've partnered with Vault Health for an easy take at home test, where you Zoom call a lab supervisor and they watch you take the test. I'm thinking that's the way we'll go.

so it's on the CVS site now, it's $139 per test. It states it is a 2-3 day turn around or longer. For us we might be on the plane by the time the test comes back, will not have it in time to put into the Hawaii health online form that really wants it 24 hours before you leave?? Wonder what issues that might cause.

I saw that yesterday too. Makes sense due to the requirements on the test that Hawaii is demanding. You'd hate to take a test only to find out that it's just a tiny bit different than Hawaii's standards.

Surely we'll be finding out more and more as the 15th approaches. For my upcoming trip in November, I thought that I'd go through CVS since there are a ton of them everywhere, but I haven't heard a peep as to how they're running the Hawaii test. We're flying out on Hawaiian and they've partnered with Vault Health for an easy take at home test, where you Zoom call a lab supervisor and they watch you take the test. I'm thinking that's the way we'll go.
In looking at the Vault Health test, I think that is what we will do as well (though we don't go until March, there may be more options by then...). My DW had a sinus surgery go bad some years ago that caused a CSF (Cerebrospinal Fluid) leak through a crack in the skull base. I have seen an instance of the nasal swab that also caused that in a person , so she has been fearful of the swab. Because Vault is the saliva test, it may be a lifesaver in this situation.

Just wanted to start a thread dedicated to those of us that are confused about COVID testing prior to landing in Hawaii to avoid quarantine after October 15. Obviously things can change rapidly and, personally, who knows how things will be around Christmas-time this year.

Assuming things are the same, though, it seems like the best option that I'm seeing is for those flying out of SFO where United is providing rapid tests (for a hefty price)

We are booked on a straight flight out of NYC- The thing that is confusing for us is to find out which tests Hawaii will recognize. It would be terrible to land there after an 11 hour flight to find out the test we took in the NYC area wasn't recognized.

As a United flyer I'm hoping that United sets up a similar facility in Newark to administer the test
Here in Seattle we are getting rapid tests at $150 each 48 hours before we fly to Oahu. We've done it twice before when we flew to Alaska and Massachusetts..it was no big deal.

HAS ANYONE FILLED OUT THE ONLINE HEALTH FORMS?
It needs your "hotel" info but we are staying one night at the Hyatt, and the rest at Aulani, so do you just list your first hotel? there was not a place to put another location. you would think they would have more in case.

I filled them out, and we're staying at Aulani the entire trip and just put that. We did end up leaving the room number empty though.
What you could do is put Hyatt/Aulani and see what they say...

As far as the testing, I was thinking of doing the Hawaiian Air take at home test through Vault for $150, but I see on their website that they're going to offer $90 tests at LAX and SFO. Since we're about 30 min away from LAX, we'll head over there. For the 7 of us $300 is worth the drive 3 days before...

I filled them out, and we're staying at Aulani the entire trip and just put that. We did end up leaving the room number empty though.
What you could do is put Hyatt/Aulani and see what they say...

As far as the testing, I was thinking of doing the Hawaiian Air take at home test through Vault for $150, but I see on their website that they're going to offer $90 tests at LAX and SFO. Since we're about 30 min away from LAX, we'll head over there. For the 7 of us $300 is worth the drive 3 days before...
We are also hoping to go to the LAX one as well - we are in Orange County flying out of San Diego, assuming this is for all Hawaiian Air passengers - they haven't really updated their site recently so we will see.

Last edited:
Just curious on how this will work with Canadians travelling to Hawaii. Hopefully they recognize our test results

Just curious on how this will work with Canadians travelling to Hawaii. Hopefully they recognize our test results
We have been actively watching for that as well. I think the focus in Hawaii to date has been on setting up the ‘trusted partner’ testing relationships in the US, but I have seen reference in the odd news article re discussions that Hawaii is having with non-US jurisdictions (although nothing concrete). My hope (perhaps wishful thinking) is that both Air Canada and Westjet become ‘trusted partners’ and springboard off of the testing pilots that they already have underway at YYZ and that are ramping up at YVR to provide a testing alternative to Canadian passengers en route to Hawaii.

We are planning to use the free testing facility at the Oakland airport--so nice that they are doing this. I'm assuming the rapid one they are offering will work, but I wish they would explicitly say this on the website. But I'm assuming they wouldn't offer it if it didn't.

Hoping a facility opens up at an east coast/NYC area airport! Some people on the ABD forum talked about COVID consultants...any luck with them for Hawaii?

I saw this where you can only test at the partners of Hawaii now:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kh...-about-states-pre-travel-testing-program/amp/

Thanks for that info! I am so glad I looked here!

It specifically states that the test needs to be done 72 hours prior to the last airport/leg of your trip time Time zone needs to be considered. So, I leave Dallas at 8 am Saturday 12/12/20 (an hour earlier than my time zone) so I will need to get my test done at 9 am (my time) on 12/9/20!

"The test will need to be taken no more than 72 hours before your flight departure time. If you have a multi-city flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arriving at a Hawai‘i airport (e.g. if your travel is from Chicago to Seattle to Honolulu, the departure time to look at is your flight from Seattle)."
https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/

It specifically states that the test needs to be done 72 hours prior to the last airport/leg of your trip time Time zone needs to be considered. So, I leave Dallas at 8 am Saturday 12/12/20 (an hour earlier than my time zone) so I will need to get my test done at 9 am (my time) on 12/9/20!

"The test will need to be taken no more than 72 hours before your flight departure time. If you have a multi-city flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arriving at a Hawai‘i airport (e.g. if your travel is from Chicago to Seattle to Honolulu, the departure time to look at is your flight from Seattle)."

There is a lot of good info on testing on Hawaii trip advisor forum too.

You don’t have to get it done exactly at 9:00 AM. Any time after 9:00 AM on 12/9 would work as well, providing you’re confidant you’ll get the results in time.

Do we know what the policy is for interisland travel? For example, If my ultimate destination is the big island. I start in Newark, fly to honolulu (with my negative COVID test), fly from HNL to Kona and get a secondary COVID test there because the Big Island requires it. Now, when we leave Kona and fly to HNL before flying back to Newark, what happens with testing then?

There are just SO many questions and I feel info is vague still. We have reservations at Four Seasons on the Big Island as well as Aulani, and as much as I would love to go there this December, Its looking like the hassle might not be worth it and we'll do plan B at WDW instead...

Do we know what the policy is for interisland travel? For example, If my ultimate destination is the big island. I start in Newark, fly to honolulu (with my negative COVID test), fly from HNL to Kona and get a secondary COVID test there because the Big Island requires it. Now, when we leave Kona and fly to HNL before flying back to Newark, what happens with testing then?

There are just SO many questions and I feel info is vague still. We have reservations at Four Seasons on the Big Island as well as Aulani, and as much as I would love to go there this December, Its looking like the hassle might not be worth it and we'll do plan B at WDW instead...
We had multi island trip planned this dec as well. We cancelled our trip to Maui and readjusted our flights. Multi island trip does not sound logistically possible under the current climate; hence, we are sticking to one. Also, everything we currently have booked including excursions is cancellable. We thought there were too many variables to consider a multi-island trip and did not want to get affected if one of the mayors comes up with a last minute change.

Hi folks I saw this story in the local news, this is a couple who says they and a few others on their plane were turned around in Hawaii because they didn't use an approved Hawaii vendor (even getting a QR code from Hawaii and thinking they were fine.)

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but if extra caution before departure and double checking can spare you grief I am glad to share it.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-fa...ut-negative-covid-19-results-wont-be-accepted
Good travels to everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter