Hawaii COVID Testing

Hi folks I saw this story in the local news, this is a couple who says they and a few others on their plane were turned around in Hawaii because they didn't use an approved Hawaii vendor (even getting a QR code from Hawaii and thinking they were fine.)

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but if extra caution before departure and double checking can spare you grief I am glad to share it.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-fa...ut-negative-covid-19-results-wont-be-accepted
Good travels to everyone.

I saw this where you can only test at the partners of Hawaii now:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kh...-about-states-pre-travel-testing-program/amp/

That is why you should look at this link @CodyBoy posted! I know where & when I need to go now! Thanks @CodyBoy!

It would be very helpful if people would be willing to share their testing experiences with the different trusted partners. I am trying to figure out what my best option is, or if I should try multiple companies, to ensure I get the results back in time. For example, I could use CVS, but they will only schedule an appointment 2 days in advance, and then they say it will take 3 days to get results. That makes me nervous because I know I can't rent a car if my test results aren't back yet.

On the other hand, there is a Walgreens not too far away from me that does the rapid 1 day test, however it's not clear from their site that you can get that test if it's for travel, or if appointments are being reserved for those with symptoms.

I'm not going til December, so there's a bit of time to see how it's going for folks before I leave, if people are willing to share.

I am also getting a little nervous about which route to go in regards to testing - we leave on 11/24 (tuesday) in the morning so we would need to test Saturday am (?). I'm really hoping Hawaiian airlines opens up their drive thru by LAX, I am willing to pay the $90 for results in 36 hours (we are in orange county flying out of San Diego on Hawaiian) anxious to see what everyone else decides to do!

We're leaving on the 12th out of LAX to HNL, and was also hoping to use the Hawaiian drive thru option. The one up at SFO just appeared one day without any advance notice, so we went ahead and ordered the $150 Vault test. Ordered it on Sunday and it arrived today(Tuesday) in the morning.

I'll still be freaked out however, until the samples reach the lab. So many things can go wrong!!

We're leaving on the 12th out of LAX to HNL, and was also hoping to use the Hawaiian drive thru option. The one up at SFO just appeared one day without any advance notice, so we went ahead and ordered the $150 Vault test. Ordered it on Sunday and it arrived today(Tuesday) in the morning.

I'll still be freaked out however, until the samples reach the lab. So many things can go wrong!!
interesting...not sure I want to shell out $300 for my husband and I justtttttt yet - but please report back if you can!

It would be very helpful if people would be willing to share their testing experiences with the different trusted partners. I am trying to figure out what my best option is, or if I should try multiple companies, to ensure I get the results back in time. For example, I could use CVS, but they will only schedule an appointment 2 days in advance, and then they say it will take 3 days to get results. That makes me nervous because I know I can't rent a car if my test results aren't back yet.

On the other hand, there is a Walgreens not too far away from me that does the rapid 1 day test, however it's not clear from their site that you can get that test if it's for travel, or if appointments are being reserved for those with symptoms.

I'm not going til December, so there's a bit of time to see how it's going for folks before I leave, if people are willing to share.

On trip advisor Hawaii forum there are many with firsthand experiences some good and some not so good.

interesting...not sure I want to shell out $300 for my husband and I justtttttt yet - but please report back if you can!

Please don't make me think about how much it cost. We have 5 kids, and thankfully, one is under 5 so we didn't have to pay for him to have a test. But we did end up using the HSA funds to pay for the rest of us...

We are scheduled to go the week of Christmas - rescheduled from May. Honestly, these stories make me want to cancel. A trip to Hawaii is supposed to be relaxing. This sounds like anything but that. We are coming from Phx so no airport testing. I have a friend who recently moved to Oahu and her stories of getting to the mainland and back are terrible. I'm working hard to try to convince my family that this is not the year for Christmas in Hawaii.

On trip advisor Hawaii forum there are many with firsthand experiences some good and some not so good.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm not the only one considering multiple tests, just to be safe. Good news is that I went part of the way through the Walgreens booking system and it did say I was allowed to take a test, although there weren't any options for testing just for travel purposes. But most of the Walgreens were booked out for the next 3 days with no appointments available, which is nerve wracking.

At this point I think I'm going to order the Vault test, and have a Walgreens/CVS as a back-up so that I will likely have some results prior to landing in Hawaii.

At this point I think I'm going to order the Vault test, and have a Walgreens/CVS as a back-up so that I will likely have some results prior to landing in Hawaii.

I've been following this thread, and although we've decided to go to Maui instead of Aulani, this is exactly what we plan to do re: the testing. My D had to be tested before she started college this fall, and the test results weren't ready when they were promised. I'm not blaming anyone for that (it's a pandemic, after all), but the lesson we learned is to get two tests just in case.

Hi. I’ll be happy to post our experience. Our plan is to schedule our test at CVS using the self-pay link on 11/2, take the test on 11/4, and arrive in Honolulu on 11/7. Hoping for the best!
Good plan! Mine will be as close to the 72 hours as possible so I have results on time too (fingers crossed for that!).

Hi folks I saw this story in the local news, this is a couple who says they and a few others on their plane were turned around in Hawaii because they didn't use an approved Hawaii vendor (even getting a QR code from Hawaii and thinking they were fine.)

I don't mean to alarm anyone, but if extra caution before departure and double checking can spare you grief I am glad to share it.

https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-fa...ut-negative-covid-19-results-wont-be-accepted
Good travels to everyone.

What a nightmare!

Any idea what time Walgreens posts their available appointments for the next three days for the POC test? All three days shown online (for the two POC locations within 60 miles of me) are already "sold out." Does anyone know what time of day I should be looking (when additional days/times are loaded)? Midnight?

Please don't make me think about how much it cost. We have 5 kids, and thankfully, one is under 5 so we didn't have to pay for him to have a test. But we did end up using the HSA funds to pay for the rest of us...
reading all the trip advisor threads I think this will end being the route we go as well unless Hawaiian opens up their drive thru by LAX in time - seems like the experiences with CVS and Walgreens are all over the place and there are no POC rapid test for Walgreens in CA that I could see. Please report back if you can! :)

Certainly will! I ordered the tests a little early just in case. We'll be taking them on Nov 9th in preparation for a Nov 12 departure to HNL.

Any idea what time Walgreens posts their available appointments for the next three days for the POC test? All three days shown online (for the two POC locations within 60 miles of me) are already "sold out." Does anyone know what time of day I should be looking (when additional days/times are loaded)? Midnight?
I was wondering same thing!!
EDIT I tried just to See and got in 4 days ahead! See next post

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter