Hawaii DIS’ers, check in....

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Hey all you DIS’ers who live in Hawaii, please check in and let us know you’re safe...

Hi! Thanks for thinking of us :)

I think Hawaii might possibly be one of the safer places in the US right now. We've got a relatively low number of cases, the entire state is under stay-at-home/work-from-home orders and the police are actually enforcing the law, and everyone coming in to the state undergoes a mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Food, household essentials, etc. are still being delivered on a regular basis. We've got the same hoarding problem the rest of the US is facing and things like rice and pasta are sold out from time to time. But there is a lot of food still on the shelves for anyone who wants to get creative or try new things.

How are things where you are?

Hi,
I'm in Hawaii too. I've got a slightly different perspective on the situation since both my siblings are on the coronavirus front lines here. My sister, who is an ER doctor, has been asked to use the same n95 mask for 5 days straight. They start to degrade after 2 hours of use. Our numbers of confirmed cases are low because we still are not up to speed with testing and there is way more community spread than has been reported in the news.

I see a lot of people going to the beach every day ('cuz I live across the street and they park in front of my house) without any regard for social distancing. I get angry because their disregard only endangers our kupuna more. Stay safe everyone!

I'm on an island (not in Hawaii) and our situation is similar. Our local governments have prohibited parking near the beach (in the popular parking areas, at least) to attempt to lower density there.

Well I know sickness is much scarier on any island than on a larger landmass, so we’re thinking of all of you.

Here in the rural south, we have fewer cases (because as Walt Disney said, we have the luxury of space) but life is still weird like everywhere. Most states are moving toward “shelter in place,” closing non-essential businesses. For small businesses in small towns, that could be disastrous. I’m not sure why these little places who probably don’t have 10 customers all day, let alone at one time, have to be shut down. If landlords decide to boot them out for not making rent, many of them are finished :(

And of course the TP hoarding has been ridiculous. My husband has ulcerative colitis and it literally makes him nearly sick worrying about running out. We have plenty for NOW, but I grabbed a crappy (no pun intended!) pack of one-ply yesterday when I ran across some just in case. But turkey season opens here today, so here’s hoping they’re lucky! It’s nice to be able to see food walking around on your own property LOL

Anyway, all you islanders stay safe!!

All of our Hawaii peeps still well and coping? DD and I are making dueling Dole Whip recipes tomorrow (neither is the real mix) to see which we like best! Wish I had some fresh llikoi and some haupia instead—my two favorite Hawaiian desserts!!

Fine here. Some of the panic buying has subsided. You can sort of find TP. I actually found hand sanitizer to buy at target last week. Wal-Mart had some big 34oz bottles today for sale. Traffic is very light. 6 new cases Saturday and 4 new cases Sunday.

Aulani is still empty of guests. Lagoons are off limits to everyone.

Sorry it sucks, just know you are not alone. We had 9 nights in Hawaii booked through VRBOs and are losing about $4K. When I tried contacting the owners they were unwilling to offer any refunds (I asked to go 50/50). The only refund we got through owners was "cleaning fee" since they wouldn't need to do that. Wow, thanks.

When I contacted VRBO directly they told me the only thing they could offer was FOR ME to contact the owners to request refund, that they were "encouraging owners to offer refunds but ultimately the decision was up to owner." They were able to refund my service fees of $251 & $149 but that peanuts compared to what we lost. When I asked to speak to another representative who might help me further they told me "sorry this call is being unproductive so we're hanging up" I have encouraged people to use VRBO and airbnb because of awesome accommodations but NEVER AGAIN after this. (FYI-I did buy VRBOs trip insurance too but of course it doesn't epidemics)
If the airline canceled your tickets, they are required to give you a refund. DOT laws.
Fine here. Some of the panic buying has subsided. You can sort of find TP. I actually found hand sanitizer to buy at target last week. Wal-Mart had some big 34oz bottles today for sale.

Now we’re in phase 2 of pandemic hoarding - flour, yeast, most baking supplies, cotton fabric, thread, notions, and elastic are hard to come by. I’ve been having a hard time finding bubble mailers as well.

Now we’re in phase 2 of pandemic hoarding - flour, yeast, most baking supplies, cotton fabric, thread, notions, and elastic are hard to come by. I’ve been having a hard time finding bubble mailers as well.
I hate to even ask what people are using all the bubble mailers for....??!? Let me know if you really need some and I’ll see if they’re available here.

Fine here. Some of the panic buying has subsided. You can sort of find TP. I actually found hand sanitizer to buy at target last week. Wal-Mart had some big 34oz bottles today for sale. Traffic is very light. 6 new cases Saturday and 4 new cases Sunday.

Aulani is still empty of guests. Lagoons are off limits to everyone.
Glad to hear the hoarding is dying down a bit. Still tough to get TP and hand sanitizer here, but food is much easier to get. Except ramen, which of course my teenagers NEED to survive LOL and is just non-existent now.

Glad to hear the hoarding is dying down a bit. Still tough to get TP and hand sanitizer here, but food is much easier to get. Except ramen, which of course my teenagers NEED to survive LOL and is just non-existent now.
Costco is back to normal with food stuffs. Ramen available and all different flavors and brands pre pandemic. Pallets of rice available the whole week. The not normal on food stuff is mainly choices. Like instead of having 3 brands of rice there mignt be 2.

TP is available for 2 or 3 days a week. Meaning if a shipment comes in on Thursday morning it will last up to Friday afternoon. Even had giant bottles of hand sanitizer last for a whole day on Wednesday. Clorox wipes available today for 6 hours or so. Tomorrow Kirkland wipes will be available. People have told me they were able to purchase hand sanitizer at Wal-Mart and Target. The only thing I would say in short supply are N95 masks but that is because it is being held for health care workers.

It helps when we have 596 cases of Covid 19 and just under 10 new cases so far this week. It has been really slowing down for past two weeks almost three weeks.

Costco is back to normal with food stuffs. Ramen available and all different flavors and brands pre pandemic. Pallets of rice available the whole week. The not normal on food stuff is mainly choices. Like instead of having 3 brands of rice there mignt be 2.

TP is available for 2 or 3 days a week. Meaning if a shipment comes in on Thursday morning it will last up to Friday afternoon. Even had giant bottles of hand sanitizer last for a whole day on Wednesday. Clorox wipes available today for 6 hours or so. Tomorrow Kirkland wipes will be available. People have told me they were able to purchase hand sanitizer at Wal-Mart and Target. The only thing I would say in short supply are N95 masks but that is because it is being held for health care workers.

It helps when we have 596 cases of Covid 19 and just under 10 new cases so far this week. It has been really slowing down for past two weeks almost three weeks.
Hi Frank!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!