He Just Came For The Food: A March 2018 Dining Report *update 9/22 S. Hollow/GF Cafe

Inside was better:

img_8344-jpg.326220

Oh my gosh, yum!!

Um, one may have been missing already....

:laughing: Gee, I wonder how that happened? :confused3

I explained how this played out over in my TR, and because I do love the man I won't do it again here lol.

:laughing: God love him.

Chris tried and was appalled that people actually eat these so he left them to his dad and brother.

:rotfl: Chris takes after you in this regard! I was trying to explain to Nathan what edamame was when we were at a sushi place the other night, and I think I made it sound pretty gross because neither of us ended up even considering ordering it. :laughing: Oops.

Funny how they can remember to bring you chocolate, but couldn't remember to vacuum!!
Well, in the grand scheme of things chocolate IS more important than vacuuming :scratchin

Hoping to spend more time in DS on our next trip and actually check some of these places out.
There are lots of places I want to check out there, and in theory, stopping sounds good. But then when we're there I don't feel like going in half the places I wanted to originally.......

Given Steve's proclivity for "directions" how on earth can anyone listen to him anymore :P
:sad2: I do't understand why he even thinks he could still possibly be right!

I've been reading about the changing plans. Think they may end up going the ADR route????
OMG I hope not. That would take away from the place, definitely. I suppose if they went to ADR's you could still go sit at the bar for a drink, or sit at one of the tables out at the water, except those seats would be taken up more often by people waiting for a table. And you know more people would want to eat there if they had to make a reservation for it instead of just happening upon it, so I honestly hope they don't.

The only time I've gotten chocolate on my pillow at Disney was in Disneyland when we stayed at the Grand Californian
I believe it's normally done at CL, because we got chocolates every day when we stayed at WL CL. That's why I was surprised to get them this time!

OMG! That sounds amazing!! I love spicy chocolate :)
Lindt has a dark chocolate chili bar, it's delicious! If you like dark chocolate you should try it!

I love how flexible you guys are, but I'm just curious, did you have to cancel your ADR? And if so, was it ok or was there a charge?
Well I probably shouldn't admit this here.........:rolleyes1 we did not cancel since it was so close to the time and no, we didn't end up having to pay. In this particular case, I knew calling was pointless unless I said someone was sick, and to be honest I didn't feel like getting on the phone and possibly being on hold for a long time. But also, this wasn't the first time we'd missed a reservation without cancelling........................and we've never been charged. Yup, never been charged. I'd say since they put that in place, we've missed 7 or 8 ADR's that we haven't cancelled, some for just the 2 of us and some for 4 - a charge never shows up. I have heard of others being charged so I won't say it won't happen but that's our experience. And for anyone reading this who is getting sweaty and angry just thinking about "others who are missing out on eating at a restaurant because we booked an ADR and didn't cancel it for someone else to grab", we've never missed one at a super popular place like BOG, CRT, 'Ohana, etc. :P

I love the Gyser Point Cheeseburgers I ate so many of them on our 2017 Wilderness Lodge Trip! I’ll admit I still crave them from time to time. I’m hoping to maybe stop for one sometime on this next trip!
They're delicious! Just cross your fingers they don't take it off the menu or change it before you go :(

That's exactly how my husband feels about arugula :laughing: Whenever he orders anything with a salad, he specifically asks if there's arugula in it. If there is, he orders something else :rotfl:
That's what I do! I will not order anything with arugula or cilantro; if it has it and I really want it I'll ask for it to be left off.

GP looks like a such a great place
It is :goodvibes @kastoney better keep her changing-it-to-ADR thoughts to herself so nobody hears >:(

Chris takes after you in this regard!
:laughing: true! Although he'll eat a few veggies and I stick to corn, the TRUE veggie lol

I was trying to explain to Nathan what edamame was when we were at a sushi place the other night, and I think I made it sound pretty gross because neither of us ended up even considering ordering it
Edamame reminds me too much of peas, and peas are the devils doing :crazy2: I hate peas with a passion almost as deep as my Disney passion, so edamame may be good but I'll never let myself know!

[QUOTE="ariane37, post: 59326372, member: 445750]They're delicious! Just cross your fingers they don't take it off the menu or change it before you go :([/QUOTE]

Oh I would be sad if they got rid of them... I still haven’t figured out when I could get out to WL on my next trip. But it was nice last year when i’d Forget to grab dinner in the parks I always knew I could stop at gyser point. We were there when roaring forks was getting refurbed.

Caught up again! You had me :rotfl: throughout your updates, I especially like your symbol for arugula which I will happily agree represents it accurately! :thumbsup2

We are so happy they added Geyser Point, not that we had much experience with WL prior! On our first couple of stays there, GP was in the process of being built. Because they have heat lamps it's not bad sitting out there when it's chilly or even drizzly, and the huge overhead fans make it not so bad when it's hot

Your burgers look amazing! I'm going to have to try to remember this place. We tried D-Luxe Burger in April and didn't love it. Your burgers at GP look better :love:

Caught up again! You had me :rotfl: throughout your updates, I especially like your symbol for arugula which I will happily agree represents it accurately! :thumbsup2
Just when I get caught up on everyone's, they all go and update and I'm behind, again! I'm glad I keep you laughing :goodvibes and I knew there were others who shared my hearty hate for arugula :hug:

Your burgers look amazing! I'm going to have to try to remember this place. We tried D-Luxe Burger in April and didn't love it. Your burgers at GP look better :love:
We haven't been to D-Luxe burger; I know @Raeven and her BF Josh really like it there. When we go to DS for quick service (which isn't often) we like Earl of Sandwhich or WPE so those would be our first 2 choices. However those burgers at GP were out of this world, so I have to imagine they'd beat D-Luxe!

Good to know about the edamame. I've always wanted to try it but was hesitant about the chili salt...
You could probably ask for it without the chili salt, but Ricky doesn't do spicy and had no problem with it :)

Hey there all, hope you enjoyed the weekend! We had a fairly busy one running the boys around, doing errands, and going over to my stepson and DIL's house so Ricky and Chris could meet Victoria, Eric's gf from Florida who came up for the weekend. Unfortunately I don't have pictures because I'd had a couple :drinking1 before we got there and then more :drinking1when we got there, so picture taking just wasn't on my mind. Poor Victoria seemed a bit lost amongst everyone; my stepson and DIL were there and then the 4 of us came, and Jason's (my stepson) friend and his wife were there. And the closest one to Victoria's age of 20 was Ricky at 16!!!
Anyway those drinks I had before getting to Jason's? Steve had a couple also. And we were with another couple. Ya know who we were with?

IMG_7936.JPG

Ariella and Andy, otherwise known as @StarWarsMomofGirls! and her DH! Yes, we got to meet and it was so fun and cool :goodvibes

IMG_7930.JPG
WHY can't I look at the camera??

They live about 2.5 hours from us but have friends right here, and were coming up to go to a party. We've tried a couple other times when they were coming to the area to get together but it didn't work until now. We hit it off, as so many of us DISers do, and hopefully it will not be the last time we hang out!

WHISPERING CANYON CAFE
BREAKFAST
One of the restaurants at the WL, which will make none of you go"oh, I didn't know that!" is Whispering Canyon Cafe. We've eaten both lunch and dinner there but never breakfast, so it only made sense that we try it out!

We weren't in a rush this morning as we were going back to DS for some bowling, so I made our reservation for 8:45. I forgot to put this in my TR but Ricky got up and went to the gym first, for the 2nd time of the trip.
We got down to WCC about 5 minutes before our reservation, gave the host our cell #, got a pager, and it went off about 30 seconds later. The restaurant was pretty empty but filled up before too long.

First up were drinks. Water and I believe lemonade for the kids and coffee for Steve. I, as some of you may know, do not drink coffee. Occasionally cappuccino which they didn't have. When that happens I stick with my non-alcoholic go-to, diet coke. Something else that probably won't surprise most of you is that WCC has some fun "antics" at most meals along the lines of 50's Prime Time Cafe, but different. See if you find anything in this picture that gives you a chuckle:

IMG_8346.JPG

Look at the size of the salt shaker and the size of my soda. It's a freakin GALLON of soda, exactly. And our server made a point of telling the entire restaurant that I had a gallon of diet coke, and that they had to keep an eye on me to make sure I drank it all, since "YOU DON'T DRINK SODA WITH BREAKFAST!"

um, and I wasn't offended in the least fyi.

Let me say here that our server was awesome, clearly the best in the place. Her name was Wendy/Hickory. She was loud, obnoxious, and sweet. Here she is with my soda and I:

wcc.jpg

Letting her fingers do the talking :rolleyes1

We watched a couple other servers and one was a total bomb, a couple were fun, but Hickory was definitely the best. I can't even see her "toning it down" like they're supposed to be doing!

On to the food. Both boys wanted the all you can eat skillet:

All-You-Care-To-Enjoy Breakfast Skillet

Scrambled Eggs, Country Potatoes, Hickory-smoked Bacon, Sausage, Mickey Waffles, House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuits, and Sausage Gravy

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8348.JPG

this is the same skillet, just two different views for your consideration. When more than one person at the table orders the skillet, they just double/triple/whatever the amount of everything rather than bring multiple skillets. The boys ate a little of everything and liked it all minus the gravy which, up here, we really only see at Cracker Barrel. Since this is all you care to eat they did request more bacon and waffles:

IMG_8352.JPG

And then one ate a waffle and one ate a piece of bacon lol.

Steve got this:
Ham and Cheddar Omelet
Country Potatoes and a House-made Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuit

IMG_8349.JPG

Except he asked for toast instead of a biscuit. Steve can't eat eggs unless they're well done and they did a good job with his omelet, even though you can't tell since this is covered with cheese. He cleaned his plate though! He and the kids loved the country potatoes which had a little bit of extra flavor to them as there were onions and peppers mixed in, but not big pieces. And, everyone's bacon was nice and crispy which is always a plus!

I almost got the skillet but knew it'd be too much food for me, so I went with this:

Eggs-Any Style
Country Potatoes, a House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuit, and your choice of Hickory-smoked Bacon or Sausage

IMG_8350.JPG

Again, all delicious. I love Disney eggs, powdered or not, eggs just taste better in Disney! You can see how well my bacon is cooked. Biscuits aren't my favorite when it comes to carbs, but I won't kick any carb out of bed so of course I had a few bites.

One negative to our breakfast: it took FOREVER to get our food. I think, and I could be wrong, that sweet Hickory forgot to put our order in right away. I don't hold this against her because I wouldn't have wanted any other server. They kept seating people in her area so she had like, 8 tables to all the other servers; 3 or 4 tables. But tables seated after us got their food first. Because of this, instead of getting out of there in an hour which is what I expected, it took about an hour and a half. Luckily since we weren't going to a park we weren't close to missing RD or a FP or anything, but it was just a long time sitting there.

One of the more well-known antics there is the multiple bottles of ketchup being delivered to your table when you ask for it. Ricky and I don't use ketchup at breakfast. Chris wanted it for his potatoes but said he wasn't going to ask for it, and both kids were a bit mortified when Steve declared he absolutely could not eat his potatoes without it. Here as the result:

IMG_8351.JPG

I don't think they have as many bottles out at breakfast? Because when we were there at lunch last year we had enough delivered to our table for our server to make us a castle out of them! Regardless a young boy had fun bringing them to us, and then when another table needed ketchup I sat still while my 3 men delivered the stuff where it had to go.

My favorite breakfast in Disney is still Boma, and we really like Trail's End and the Wave, but we'd come back here again, too. Not sure we'd make a special trip here if we weren't staying at the lodge unless one of the kids asked simply because if we were going out of our way for breakfast I'd pick Boma or the Wave first, but this is a solid option for sure. I also recommend asking for Hickory's section if you go, as long as they don't go and do something stupid like totally get rid of the antics :mad::mad:

We made our way to DS for bowling and then hopped over to AK via OKW for some EE, Rafiki, and FOP. In between all that we ate at a location new to all of us, coming up next!

Last edited:
I could get that size of diet coke in the morning and finish it! Too funny that she called you out on it ;)

Something about a homemade cheddar biscuit sounds really good right now! I'm so sad to see you don't love biscuits!

Overall looks like a good option when it is convenient to get there!

Your food looked really good. I've never been there, but have heard good things about it. That's a shame the food took so long. I've heard about the funny things they do, like the ketchup bottles. I know they were going to tone it down, I guess from people complaining? But I think they went back to it because people complained it wasn't fun anymore.

Poor Victoria seemed a bit lost amongst everyone; my stepson and DIL were there and then the 4 of us came, and Jason's (my stepson) friend and his wife were there. And the closest one to Victoria's age of 20 was Ricky at 16!!!

Haha poor girl! It's funny for me—I'm about to turn 25, and for some reason 20 doesn't seem THAT much younger, but 16 seems SO young?? :confused3

This is awesome!! Glad you had a good meet and hit it off!

I forgot to put this in my TR but Ricky got up and went to the gym first, for the 2nd time of the trip.

Wow. This kid is dedicated! I can't get my butt in gear to go to the gym once on vacation.

img_8346-jpg.328630

Look at the size of the salt shaker and the size of my soda. It's a freakin GALLON of soda, exactly.

:rotfl:

On to the food. Both boys wanted the all you can eat skillet:

Good choice. That's what Nathan and I have gotten the last couple times we've been there.

Except he asked for toast instead of a biscuit. Steve can't eat eggs unless they're well done and they did a good job with his omelet, even though you can't tell since this is covered with cheese.

Holy cheese, Batman! Looks good though. Nathan can't stand wet scrambled eggs/omelets.

Ricky and I don't use ketchup at breakfast. Chris wanted it for his potatoes but said he wasn't going to ask for it, and both kids were a bit mortified when Steve declared he absolutely could not eat his potatoes without it. Here as the result:

:rotfl: Way to go, Steve!

and then when another table needed ketchup I sat still while my 3 men delivered the stuff where it had to go.

Naturally! :laughing:

My favorite breakfast in Disney is still Boma, and we really like Trail's End and the Wave, but we'd come back here again, too.

Agreed! Boma :lovestruc Glad to hear your good review of the Wave, too. We just had some shuffling of our plans for August as I get ready for FP day, and I ended up cancelling one breakfast we had and replacing it with the Wave. It'll be new for us, but I've heard mostly good things.

Ariella and Andy, otherwise known as @StarWarsMomofGirls! and her DH! Yes, we got to meet and it was so fun and cool :goodvibes
Why does everyone live up the east coast? :sad1:
Look at the size of the salt shaker and the size of my soda. It's a freakin GALLON of soda, exactly. And our server made a point of telling the entire restaurant that I had a gallon of diet coke, and that they had to keep an eye on me to make sure I drank it all, since "YOU DON'T DRINK SODA WITH BREAKFAST!"
:rotfl: Zack had a somewhat similar experience at 50s! I love it!

Scrambled Eggs, Country Potatoes, Hickory-smoked Bacon, Sausage, Mickey Waffles, House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuits, and Sausage Gravy
Wait, cheddar biscuits and mickey waffles???
Biscuits aren't my favorite when it comes to carbs, but I won't kick any carb out of bed so of course I had a few bites.
:rotfl2:
One negative to our breakfast: it took FOREVER to get our food. I think, and I could be wrong, that sweet Hickory forgot to put our order in right away. I don't hold this against her because I wouldn't have wanted any other server.
Oops... :o It's hard to be too upset if they're an awesome server though, and you're not in a rush.
I also recommend asking for Hickory's section if you go, as long as they don't go and do something stupid like totally get rid of the antics :mad::mad:
This makes me so sad. I think these are some things that make Disney unique - not many places have waiters that heckle you for fun!

This cracks me up, because I start every day with a Diet Coke! I don't drink coffee either, but need something to get going in the morning.

My favorite breakfast in Disney is still Boma, and we really like Trail's End and the Wave, but we'd come back here again, too. Not sure we'd make a special trip here if we weren't staying at the lodge unless one of the kids asked simply because if we were going out of our way for breakfast I'd pick Boma or the Wave first, but this is a solid option for sure.

Great to hear, as I currently have two breakfast ADRs for our August trip, and they are Boma and The Wave!

Really enjoying your report :thumbsup2

And the closest one to Victoria's age of 20 was Ricky at 16!!!
Oh no! I do find it kind of funny...

img_7930-jpg.328673

WHY can't I look at the camera??
It's because we were too busy still talking even though we had to both leave! I wish we had more time, but I think we would have been way too :drinking1if we had more time!

We hit it off, as so many of us DISers do, and hopefully it will not be the last time we hang out!
It def won't be the last! We had a great time as well.

We got down to WCC about 5 minutes before our reservation, gave the host our cell #, got a pager, and it went off about 30 seconds later. The restaurant was pretty empty but filled up before too long.
why do they do this? They have to know they are going to seat you in like a minute... so strange.

img_8346-jpg.328630

So, how much did you end up drinking?

img_8352-jpg.328642

And then one ate a waffle and one ate a piece of bacon lol.
Way to stick it to the mouse! Get those extra waffles!

Chris wanted it for his potatoes but said he wasn't going to ask for it, and both kids were a bit mortified when Steve declared he absolutely could not eat his potatoes without it.
Ha! There is nothing better than embarrassing the "crap" out of your kids!

I don't think they have as many bottles out at breakfast? Because when we were there at lunch last year we had enough delivered to our table for our server to make us a castle out of them! Regardless a young boy had fun bringing them to us, and then when another table needed ketchup I sat still while my 3 men delivered the stuff where it had to go.
I feel like you NEED to ask for Ketchup whether you actually need it or not there. It's half of the fun!

Look at the size of the salt shaker and the size of my soda.

Yikes! Did you finish it??

img_8347-jpg.328631

img_8348-jpg.328632

Looks yummy!

One of the more well-known antics there is the multiple bottles of ketchup being delivered to your table when you ask for it.

Has there been a definitive answer whether or not the stopped the antics? I'm not crazy about them myself, but I know other people really enjoy all that.

So envious!

but never breakfast, so it only made sense that we try it out!
We tried it on our trip, as well.

Water and I believe lemonade for the kids and coffee for Steve. I, as some of you may know, do not drink coffee. Occasionally cappuccino which they didn't have. When that happens I stick with my non-alcoholic go-to, diet coke.
No Bloody Marys or Mimosas?

Let me say here that our server was awesome, clearly the best in the place. Her name was Wendy/Hickory.
She was there on Monday when we went. She was not our server...ours was good, though...but she was singing and having a good time, the entire time we were there. She kidded with us a few times.

Steve got this:
Ham and Cheddar Omelet
Country Potatoes and a House-made Buttermilk Cheddar Biscuit
I thought about this but other than bacon, I'm not really a huge ham fan.

Eggs-Any Style
Country Potatoes, a House-made Buttermilk-Cheddar Biscuit, and your choice of Hickory-smoked Bacon or Sausage
This is what both Chad and I got.

I don't think they have as many bottles out at breakfast? Because when we were there at lunch last year we had enough delivered to our table for our server to make us a castle out of them!
There were more bottles at our breakfast last week. But they were very quiet about asking for it. It was not quite the show it had been previously.

we'd come back here again, too.
I liked it well enough. It worked out perfectly for the type of trip we took this time. And it was right there at our resort. I wouldn't go out of my way either, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!