• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Healthy Cooking 4/11: Under the Sea!

Hi Everyone!

I've had some requests for seafood recipes so I thought I'd share a couple here today.

Seafood is one of my favorites -- I grew up on the shore and there's nothing like getting up early for some clamming and then steaming those babies up with a little beer. Mmmmmm. I'm more of a shellfish person than a fish person so let me share a few of my tips for shellfish prep with you.

• Get all the sand out of your bivalves! If you are cooking up clams or mussels, scrub them then put them in a tub of fresh water topped with white cornmeal. They ingest the cornmeal and discharge the sand. It gives you a full belly, a sweet taste and no sand or shell particles in each bite.
  • Give them a good "shave". Mussels, in particular, come bearded meaning they have hairlike strands hanging off their shells. Scrub them well before cooking to remove the beards.
  • They may swim but don't drown 'em. Remember to steam, not flood, the shellfish. And if the shell hasn't popped after steaming, throw it out. A fresh, live clam or mussel with release it's muscle during steaming and the shell will pop open.

My favorite shellfish treat involves your barbeque grill.
  • Get a shellfish or fish plate for the grill top (so nothing falls through the grill openings).
    Clean your shellfish inside and out (I use clams and mussels for this particular recipe but you can also use oysters).
    In a disposable aluminum pan (large like for lasagna) melt a stick or two of butter (depending on the amount of shellfish), white wine and garlic. Put it to the side and let it simmer.
    Place your shellfish on the grill. The clams and mussels will steam in their own juices.
    When the shells have popped, toss them into the butter/wine mixture and toss.
Serve with crusty french bread (for sopping up the sauce and juices) and wet naps! MMMMMMMMM...I'm getting hungry!

And here's a recipe for all you shrimp lovers.

Herb Crusted Shrimp
from Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes
Serves 4

¼ cup chopped fresh basil
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 minced garlic cloves
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp coarse black pepper
1½ lbs. large shrimp, peeled and deveined

1. Pre-heat oven to 450ºF.
2. Coat a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
3. Combine all ingredients except the shrimp in a large bowl.
4. Add shrimp and toss to coat.
5. Arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet.
6. Bake for approximately 6 minutes.

4 points per serving
176 calories • 5g total fat • 1g saturated fat • 269mg cholesterol • 607mg sodium • 2mg total carbohydrates • 1g fiber • 29mg protein • 81mg calcium.

Do you have some fish recipes you’d like to share? We’d love to hear them.

I made this the other night--I'm not sure about points, but it was really tasty, and would be good (I think?) for those on low-carb diets. I made it for myself, but it seems easy enough to double etc...

Seared Salmon:
Season 1 salmon filet with pepper, salt, and garlic powder

Heat a bit of olive oil (not so good w/measurements...sorry) in a heavy duty pan on medium-high heat

Put the salmon, skin side down, in the pan and cook about 4 minutes a side (mine was tall, so I also seared it on the sides, as well as top and bottom)

I served this with spinach, wilted on the stove (just put washed spinach in a pan over medium heat and keep tossing until wilted) and also mango-avocado salsa

For the salsa:
Dice 1/2 mango, a sweet onion and an avocado. Mix together with a little vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper. You can add diced chilies or hot peppers for spice, or through in some cooked, rinsed black beans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter