hearing impaired question

blunoz

Earning My Ears
Hi all, I have a question.....

We're leaving in 2 days for our first visit to WDW. WooHooo! My DH is hearing impaired, not totally deaf but wears aids in both ears. My question is which device that the parks offer do you think is best to use? I see that there are a number of options and are a little befuddled. We will have DD11 & DS9 with us so are planning on taking in as much as possible. He has never used anything other that his HA's but has problems with them in crowds so will probably need a little extra help.

Any favourites? Would the headset ones interfere with the HA's? All feedback welcome.

Thanks

First question is is completely oral or does he sign? If he can sign I would recommend the interpreted shows and getting a schedule for those from Guest Services. Only need to get it at the beginning of the week for the entire week. If not he will need to depend on reflective captioning at the shows that have that and the handheld captioning device for rides. I don't really like the ALDs as they amplify everything and not just the speech.
For reflective captioning inform the castmember as you enter the show. The handheld device and be gotten at Guest Services with a $100 deposit that is refunded when you return the device at the end of the day. These are park specific so you cannot use one from Magic Kingdom in Epcot, Animal Kingdom or MGM.
Btw you really cannot use the headset with the hearing aids on the ALD but if your husband has a telecoil I believe that there is a way that they can be used without the headset. If the castmember at Guest Services doesn't know have them contact Mark Jones and he will know.

Thanks Talking Hands, nope he doesn't sign, funny thing is that both my son & I have taken classes but the one who needs it, nope, couldn't be bothered arrrgh!!! But yes, he is completely oral, he is not totally deaf, at about 80 % loss in both ears.

I think the reflective captioning sounds cool. Have you used the handheld captioning?it seems to be available on a lot of rides. Also if we choose to use a variety of devices are the attractions well marked asa to which one they use?

I don't know what a telecoil is, sorry ;) I guess he doesn't have one.

I do appreciate the help, Christina

blunoz said:
I think the reflective captioning sounds cool. Have you used the handheld captioning?it seems to be available on a lot of rides. Also if we choose to use a variety of devices are the attractions well marked asa to which one they use?

I don't know what a telecoil is, sorry ;) I guess he doesn't have one.

I do appreciate the help, Christina

There is a sheet with all this. No it isn't clearly marked so without the sheet you may not know.You can get it from Guest Services.

SERVICES FOR GUESTS WITH HEARING DISABILITIES

The following information highlights services available that may prove useful during your visit.

SIGN LANGUAGE: If requested, the Walt Disney Worldâ Resort provides Sign Language interpretation for our Guests at live Theme Park shows with a minimum of seven days notice. However, interpreted performances are currently available on a rotating basis as follows:

Disney-MGM Studios- Sundays, Wednesdays MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park- Mondays, Thursdays

Epcotâ- Tuesdays, Fridays Disney’s Animal Kingdomâ Theme Park- Saturdays

This service can be requested by calling Walt Disney Worldâ Resort Information at (407) 824-4321 [voice] or

(407) 827-5141 [TTY]. You will be contacted prior to your visit with an appropriate show schedule. Arrangements can also be requested for other events and shows with a minimum of two weeks notice. There is no cost for this service.

If necessary, please check with Guest Relations to obtain further information and the best location to view or wait for interpreted performances. Guest Relations can also provide updated performance schedules as well as equipment such as Assistive Listening Devices, Handheld Captioning receivers, and remote control Activators for Video Captioning.

CAPTIONING (NOTE: Not all parts of an attraction experience may be captioned)

Reflective Captioning

This technology utilizes an LED display to project captions onto an acrylic panelplaced in front of you. To use this system, please contact a host or hostess at the attraction for assistance. Reflective Captioning is available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Frontierland-Country Bear Jamboree

Liberty Square-The Hall of Presidents

Fantasyland-“Mickey’s PhilharMagic”

Tomorrowland-The Timekeeper (open seasonally)

Disney-MGM Studios:

Voyage of The Little Mermaid

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream (theater only)

“Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D”

FANTASMIC!

Epcotâ:

The Living Seas-Theaters

The Land (2)-“The Circle of Life” & Food Rocks

Imagination!-“Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”

Wonders of Life (2)-Cranium Command & “The Making of Me”

Canada-“O Canada!”

France-“Impressions de France”

The American Adventure-The American Adventure

China-“Reflections of China”

Norway-Maelstrom (theater only)

Disney’s Animal Kingdomâ Theme Park:

Discovery Islandä-“It’s Tough to be a Bugâ”

Video Captioning

Caption-ready monitors have a “CC” symbol and can only be activated by remote control. These remote control Activators are available through Guest Relations and require a $25 refundable deposit (must return item on the same day for refund). Handheld Captioning receivers also contain an Activator. Video Captioning is available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Mickey’s Toontown Fair-Judge’s Tent

Tomorrowland- Carousel of Progress (pre-show only)

The Timekeeper (pre-show only) (open seasonally)

Disney-MGM Studios:

“The Twilight Zone Tower of Terrorä” (pre-show only)

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage (queue only)

The Making of “The Haunted Mansion” Movie

Studios Backlot Tour (queue ramp and prop warehouse only)

Star Tours (boarding area only)

“Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D” (pre-show only)

Epcotâ:

The Living Seas-Sea Base Alpha (several locations)

The Land-“The Circle of Life” (pre-show only)

Wonders of Life (3)-Body Wars (pre-show only), Frontiers Exhibit

Area & Coaches’ Corner

Mission: SPACE-Mission: SPACE attraction

Test Track (2)-Briefing Room pre-show & Dreamchaser post-show

DinoLand U.S.A.â-DINOSAUR (pre-show only)

Rafiki’s Planet Watch-Conservation Stationâ:Look-In Labs

Africa-Kilimanjaro Safarisâ (pre-show only)

Pangani Forest Exploration Trail: Gorilla Falls Overlook

WALT DISNEY WORLDâ RESORT-SERVICES FOR GUESTS WITH HEARING DISABILITIES, p2.

Handheld Captioning

This portable captioning system uses a wireless handheld receiver to display text in locations where fixed captioning systems are impractical, such as moving attractions. Receivers are available through Guest Relations and require a $100 refundable deposit (must return item on the same day for refund). Handheld Captioning is currently available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Walt Disney Worldâ Railroad

Adventureland-Pirates of the Caribbean

The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management

Liberty Square-The Haunted Mansion

Fantasyland-Peter Pan’s Flight

Snow White’s Scary Adventures

“it’s a small world”

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Tomorrowland-Tomorrowland Transit Authority

Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin

Epcotâ:

Spaceship Earth-Spaceship Earth ride

Universe of Energy-Ellen’s Energy Adventure

The Land-Living with the Land

Imagination!-Journey Into Your Imagination With Figment

Mexico-El Rio del Tiempo

Norway-Maelstrom (ride portion only)

Disney-MGM Studios:

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage

The Great Movie Ride (ride portion only)

ASSISTIVE LISTENING DEVICES: Assistive Listening Systems utilize a lightweight wireless device that receives an infrared signal (an invisible beam of light) from overhead transmitters at certain locations in order to amplify sound. Receivers are available at the Guest Relations lobby. A $25 refundable deposit is required (must return item on the same day for refund). Assistive Listening Systems are available at the following locations:

MAGIC KINGDOMâ Park:

Adventureland-Jungle Cruise

The Enchanted Tiki Room Under New Management

Frontierland-Country Bear Jamboree

Liberty Square-Diamond Horseshoe Saloon

The Hall of Presidents

Fantasyland-“Cinderella’s Surprise Celebration”

“Mickey’s PhilharMagic”

Mickey’s Toontown Fair-Judge’s Tent

Tomorrowland-Sunny Eclipse at Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe

The Timekeeper (open seasonally)

Carousel of Progress (open seasonally)

Galaxy Palace Theater (open seasonally)

Disney-MGM Studios:

Theater of the Stars: “Beauty & the Beast”-Live On Stage

FANTASMIC!

The Great Movie Ride (pre-show only)

Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage

Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream (theater only)

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It!

Jim Henson’s Muppet*Vision 3D

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

Indiana Jonesä Epic Stunt Spectacular!

ABC Sound Studio: Sounds Dangerous-Starring Drew Carey

Epcotâ:

Universe of Energy-“Ellen’s Energy Adventure”

Wonders of Life (3)-Cranium Command, “The Making of Me”, &

Goofy About Health

Test Track (pre-show only)

The Living Seas-Theaters & selected exhibits

The Land (2)-“The Circle of Life” & Food Rocks

Imagination!-“Honey, I Shrunk the Audience”

The American Adventure-The American Adventure

America Gardens Theatre

Germany-Biergarten

China-“Reflections of China”

Norway-Maelstrom (theater only)

Innoventions (East & West)-certain attractions

France-“Impressions de France”

Canada-“O Canada!”

Discovery Islandä-“It’s Tough to be a Bug!â”

Camp Minnie-Mickey-Festival of the Lion King

Pocahontas & Her Forest Friends

DinoLand U.S.A.â-DINOSAUR (pre-show only)

Theater in the Wild: Tarzan Rocks!

Asia-Caravan Stage: Flights of Wonder

Kali River Rapids (pre-show only)

Rafiki’s Planet Watch-Conservation Stationâ (certain attractions)

Africa-Kilimanjaro Safarisâ

Wildlife Express

WRITTEN AIDS: Guest Assistance Packets containing dialogue, flashlights, and pen/paper are available at or near the performance areas or entrances for most shows and attractions. Please contact a host or hostess at the location for assistance.

TELEPHONES: Pay telephones equipped with amplified handsets as well as Text Typewriters (TTYs) are widely available throughout the Walt Disney Worldâ Resort.

INFORMATION: To obtain further information about available services for Guests with disabilities, visit the Walt Disney Worldâ Resortwebsite at www.disneyworld.com and click on “FAQ” (Frequently Asked Questions) or contact Walt Disney Worldâ ResortInformation at (407) 824-4321 [voice] or (407) 827-5141 [TTY].

I use Sign Language however, I was impressed with the Hand Held Captioning and with the reflective captioning. I tried to use a script for the ride at Disney Studios but it was not a great idea.
Just another opinion, enjoy your trip. :cool1:

Thanks to both of you. It looks like we may use both the ALD and one of the captioning devices. I'm trying to make a small graph to show which attractions offer which assistance so we can tell at a glance.

2 more days.....;)

We had very little success with the ALDs that are used either with a telecoil or as an independent headset device. In fact, out of 6 devices in 3 parks, none worked. When we asked at Guest Services who could help us solve the problems, we were told, and I quote, "no one". ( At one park I did mention the aforementioned gentleman, but only received a blank look in return.)

We didn't use captioning devices as my daughter is only 4. I had to keep explaining that to the Guest Services CM, because they consistently told us the listening devices didn't work and that people liked the captioning devices. (After a while, I was tempted to ask them if they supposed that people liked the captioning devices better than the listening ones BECAUSE THEY WORKED?????)

I hate being a wet blanket, and in fact had composed a long update to my prior post about ALDs at Disney, but it somehow didn't get posted, and I decided that if I couldn't say anything positive, I just didn't need to say anything, so I didn't repost.

However, I'd hate for someone to get there and expect stuff to work and expect help and be dreadfully disappointed, as we were. It's entirely possible that things may work great for you, but that was not at all our experience. Guest Services provided devices and told us that they usually didn't work. They had to dig to find devices for which they hoped the batteries were working. Only in Epcot, did they have anyway to test to see if it was receiving a signal, but even then the devices didn't work at the attractions. They could offer no solution to non-working devices when specifically asked for further help. All in all, it was a very disappointing and frustrating experience.

I have not sent an email to the Customer Service number from the card one of the Guest Services CMs provided, who told me, "Please call and tell them these things don't work." That's on my to-do list.

Anyway, I apologize for sounding so negative, and I hope your experience is a better one.

bumping like another DISser to help someone else locate some needed information

Alice Sr. said:
Thanks momsgoofy your a gem :flower:

:blush:

After reading the other thread, I just had to check out the DISabilities information and when I saw this thread, I thought it might help, too. So happy it did!! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter