Help/advice, trying to plan trip w/Grandma

disneykid1961

Earning My Ears
My family just returned from WDW trip and I'd like to try and plan a return visit with my Mom joining us. She is 77 and suffers from vasculitis and is on dialysis 3 times a week. Her drug regimin is a chemotherapy drug called Imeran, steriods, etc. The steroids have caused such leg swelling that walking is difficult, so I would either try to use a push wheelchair for her, or a scooter. It sounds like the ECV's are great, but I think she would think she would crash it or something...she's not very "into" new things so planning a trip like this would be a leap of faith on my part. How difficult are ECV's to learn to operate? If you're the kind of person that doesn't like new things, do you think its doable?? What about dialysis? On her treatment days, she's tired but I think she could do an evening at a park for fireworks or fantasmic. On non-diablysis days, I think she would be okay in an ECV.

How do rides work in terms of having her ride with her grandkids?? Do we get her a fastpass along with us and then everyone enter at the same time?
Is a minivan the best way to transport an ECV to the parks? We usually stay off-site and rent a car so we can come and go as we please. Is on-site really that much better transportation wise??? We would need to have a car I guess to transport her to dialysis anyway.

I would really appreciate any advice so I can talk to her about her choices. My kids would love to share this with her...but I'm afraid of tiring her out too much. Thanks in advance!

disneykid1961 said:
It sounds like the ECV's are great, but I think she would think she would crash it or something...she's not very "into" new things so planning a trip like this would be a leap of faith on my part. How difficult are ECV's to learn to operate? If you're the kind of person that doesn't like new things, do you think its doable??
If she hass ever driven a car, she will be more comfortable driving an ECV than if she has never driven.
A good way to test one out is to go to one of the big stores, like a grocery store, Walmart or Target and drive one (I'd suggest Target, they usually have much larger and clearer aisles than Walmart or grocery stores). If she can drive one of the store ones, a rented one will be a piece of cake since the store ones are huge and have a shopping cart attached.
There are many places to rent ecvs (look in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board). Any of the places in that thread are good, but for her I would suggest Randy's because they bring the ecv out when you are present (the others drop them off for you at your resort). The advantage of having someone deliver it to her is that you and she can be shown how that particular ecv works and get any questions answered.
What about dialysis? On her treatment days, she's tired but I think she could do an evening at a park for fireworks or fantasmic. On non-diablysis days, I think she would be okay in an ECV.
I guess you have to play that one by ear. One hint is to not try to get out of the parks right away when the fireworks or Fantasmic is over. Let the crowd clear a bit first. That way, you a much less stressful trip out of the park and it actually doesn't take much more time because you can travel faster when you do get going.
To actually set up the dialysis, there are some threads about that on this board. you can find them by doing a search.
How do rides work in terms of having her ride with her grandkids?? Do we get her a fastpass along with us and then everyone enter at the same time?
Most of the lines are what is called "Mainstream Access" which means the lines are wheelchair/ecv accessible. Getting everyone a fastpass is a good idea. That limits your wait in line. For some rides (mostly those with moving walkways for boarding), she will board at the exit, after waiting in line. Depending on the size of your party and how much space there is at the exit, your whole party may be able to stay together for boarding. The disABILITIES FAQs thread also has a link to the official Disney site for the Guidebooks for guests with Disabilities.
Is a minivan the best way to transport an ECV to the parks? We usually stay off-site and rent a car so we can come and go as we please. Is on-site really that much better transportation wise??? We would need to have a car I guess to transport her to dialysis anyway.
If you can get a Grand Voyager or Grand Caravan, those are longer wheelbase minivans which have a little extra space in the back.
If she has a handicapped parking permit, bring it along, so you can park in the handicapped spots.
The advantage to staying on site is that most of the WDW transportation is wheelchair/ecv accessible so you would not have to be lifting the ecv in and out of the van. The most convenient is staying at one of the MK resorts on the monorail. That makes it very easy to get to and from the parks.

disneykid1961 said:
My family just returned from WDW trip and I'd like to try and plan a return visit with my Mom joining us. She is 77 and suffers from vasculitis and is on dialysis 3 times a week. Her drug regimin is a chemotherapy drug called Imeran, steriods, etc. The steroids have caused such leg swelling that walking is difficult, so I would either try to use a push wheelchair for her, or a scooter. It sounds like the ECV's are great, but I think she would think she would crash it or something...she's not very "into" new things so planning a trip like this would be a leap of faith on my part. How difficult are ECV's to learn to operate? If you're the kind of person that doesn't like new things, do you think its doable?? What about dialysis? On her treatment days, she's tired but I think she could do an evening at a park for fireworks or fantasmic. On non-diablysis days, I think she would be okay in an ECV.
There is a very large FAQ that will help a lot. Click on "disABILTIES" at the top of this page to get to the index. The "disABILITIES FAQ" is the 4th or 5th item down.

The off-site rentals are much easier to control than the ones rented from Disney. Basically think of a tricycle; where you have your hands on he handlebars there is a lever under each thumb, pressing the right one makes you go forward and the left one makes you go in reverse. The harder you push the faster you go. Release the lever and you stop. Also, on the rentals there is a knob which controls the maximum speed. It is very easy to learn. You might want to take her to a large grocery store or Walmart; they have ECVs there which are much larger and more difficult than the rentals, if she can manage there WDW should not be a problem. Also, consider doing Epcot first as it has the most room.

Most of the lines, except MK which is older, are "mainstreamed". This means generally she would stay on line as everyone else. Depending on the attraction she generally would have to rensfer to a ride vehicle and the ECV will be waiting when you get off. Rides which are not mainstreamed will have either a marked handicap entrace, which the entire group would use, or a CM to direct you. For example, both Space Mountain and Rock & Roller Coaster she would have to park the ECV and tgransfer to a wheelchair which the park will provide.
Not really. If you have a full-size four door sedan you can put the ECV in the trunk. It breaks down into five peices with the largest under 40 pounds. This is also discussed in the FAQ.

One last point is if she has a disabled hang tag bring it with you so you can legally park close in; an ECV cannot go onto the trams.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter