HELP! Cigarette stains/smell on furniture

I am getting two reclining loveseats from my grandmother next month. They work great, are VERY comfortable, and will fit nicely in my small living room. My grandmother is a HEAVY smoker for the last 60 years and the furniture is covered in a layer of gross, tar colored..stain I guess. They also must just reak since I can't be in the room for more than 5 minutes without leaving smelling like a cigarette filter. That smell permeates everything!

How can I get the stains and smell out? Can I use a steam cleaner? I would really prefer not to have to rip all the upholstery and foam off and start over. A slip cover isn't really an option either because I can guarantee the stain would eventually come right through.

I am not working right now and my DH just got a job but its PT and there's no way we can afford new furniture. I really don't want to pass if these can be salvaged...anyone?

You could try cleaning it our carpet cleaner also has a upolstery appliance. Also depending on your area there is a company called Servpro. They deal with fire and water restoration. Pretty much when you have a fire they come in and clean. They have machines called ozone machines they put 100% O2 in to the air and can make anything smell better.(even skunks) It will get the smell out. You will have to call on price but I bet it wouldn't be to bad if you really want to keep the chairs. But I will tell you the house we bought had smokers in it and it took long time to get the smell out we also had to pull carpet and paint everything. I wish I new about the ozone machine back then. Goodluck!

The house has been in our family since the day Kennedy was shot. I love the house and someday it will be mine, but not without a complete stripping of all surfaces, severe duct cleaning and pretty much replacing all appliances. Unfortunately, my grandmother assumes since she hasn't gotten cancer yet, she never will (she's 83). I love my grandmother, but her house is DISGUSTING! My DH smokes but he has never smoked indoors. He hates that smell as much as the next person.

Like I said, I just really want to keep the furniture. If I have to call in professionals, I will, if they are inexpensive enough. I don't think Goodwill would take them with the stench and tar build-up....but they are such a perfect size, so comfortable, and I can't beat the price tag :banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter