Help! Having trouble booking on-site hotels

codenamejack

I've got a jar of dirt!
I tried booking online and it rejected my card. I'm not sure what the issue was, but the bank said they never even saw the attempts.

I've also tried calling, but I can't seem to get through.

Any advice for either issue? :/

Be sure and let your credit card issuer know that you are going to use the card for a foreign transaction.

Try again. You may need to try a different card.

Back. I got a room!!! I'm going to outline my adventures with getting a hotel at Tokyo Disney in case anyone has these issues in the future.

Step 1. Figure out that a "twin" room means two beds. A "double" room means a single bed that's doubled in size (meant for two co-sleeping adults). A "triple" room has three beds. (I wish they had this option at WDW!) Never having been to Japan before, this confused me so much until I figured it out and then it was just funny.

Step 2. Wrangle your login info. The Tokyo Disney website has its own system, which shares some login info with the US system, but not necessarily all. It found every old account for online Disney stuff that had ever been associated with my email, including my Toontown login. (haha!) I ended up creating a new account under a different email address because I was having password issues.

Step 3. Get frustrated over your stupid banking card. I have an ordinary bank debit card with the MasterCard logo that I use for all my online purchases, which did not work at all. My bank never even saw the transaction attempts, so it was rejecting it at the website level. After discussing it with the bank, there are two possible reasons it was being rejected -- it was a debit card, not a "real" credit card, or the MasterCard SecureCode security layer was causing issues. If you haven't used this before, normally what happens is when I try to make a purchase on certain websites or over a certain amount, I will be given a small popup window and sent to the MasterCard website to supply a password OR MasterCard generates a temporary code for me. The Tokyo Disney reservations website will ask you for a short numeric code along with my card number. This is NOT the number on the back. It wants a securecode or password of some kind. If you can figure out how to generate one on your own, that's probably it.

Step 3b. Panic over paying for things while in Japan. In all my research, it seems that MasterCard may be somewhat limited in Japan. We went ahead and ordered a "real" credit card to make sure it had one of the new chips in it, which my debit card does not. I don't know if AmEx, Visa, or others have the same issues in Japan. It seems like a good idea to make sure you have more than one form of payment when traveling to Japan and make sure your CC is up to date.

Step 4. Call Japan at least 7 times. Their reservations system is only open during business hours. Their lines get very busy and they have a limited number of English-speaking agents. Call early in the day (Japan time) and you can opt to wait on hold. When I called later in the day, it would let me know that if it can't reach an agent, the call would be disconnected, so you have to call back. Once I was actually speaking to an agent, making a reservation was very easy. They still do it old school over the phone -- just name and number and reservation info! I think they don't take CC numbers over the phone for safety reasons.

Step 4b. You do not need to dial 011 when on a US cell phone. It's just 81 + local number.

Step 5. Freak out! because you're going to stay at the Hotel Miracosta and it's been a dream of yours forever and now you're going and I'm gonna go cry now.

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues using credit cards in Japan, including Visa, AMEX and MasterCard. ATM cards are another issue; many ATMs will reject your US card. Reliable ATMs can be found at the airport, in post offices and 7-Bank ATMS in 7-11s.

Oh.My.God

I just tried to make a reservation online, and it took me 30 mins. I clicked on the Terms and Conditions which took me to a page that I couldn't get back to my reservation from. I actually made some variation of my reservation FIVE times before it finally went through. And my husband is a web dev for Disney, and even he couldn't help me. At the end of it, I actually reserved a room I didn't really want, but I'm too exhausted to deal with it. Our trip is in October and I couldn't even get into the MiraCosta, probably because we're coming in on a Wednesday. I'll just be happy to get there in one piece, but, wow, that was a frustrating process.

...the MasterCard SecureCode security layer was causing issues.

Yep, this is what happened to me. The SecureCode "feature" doesn't work properly with their website - or, I couldn't get it to work. And, as you said - this caused much panic! Especially with the way that popular rooms disappear so quickly 6 months out!

In the end, we used my mother-in-laws credit card :love2: and all is well.

So, unless you can get the SecureCard feature to work, I would advise using a non-MasterCard Credit Card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter