Help me get excited for Universal

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
We visit family in Florida almost every year, and usually alternate between tacking on a few of days at Disney or a couple at Universal. (This is Universal year.) Either way, rather obsessively planning is part of the fun for me :teeth: and ramps up my energy for the trip.

But this year, I've been very hesitant to let myself get absorbed in plans because of the recent medical news. - I didn't want to be too disappointed if travel restrictions were put in place and we couldn't go. But the trip is getting close now, and (fingers crossed) looks like it can happen.

So help me catch up to the excited spot I'm usually at! -

If you've been lately, what's the best strategy for the new Hagrid coaster? (or do you think it isn't worth the hassle until they get the kinks worked out?)

It looks like there's a Mardi Gras concert while we're there (begins at 8:30, park close is listed at 9:00). How does that work? - Is it just open to everyone, and you just hear it as you walk around the park? Do you have to pick up special tickets for a designated area, or be sure to get a seat early?

Anything else new I should know if I haven't been since February of 2018?

I don't think the Hagrid's strategy has changed much from when we went back in November. You safest bet is to get to IOA early. They normally open the gates 15 minutes before the posted time, so 8:45 for a 9:00 start. We got in line at 8:00 and brought breakfast with us. The crowds really piled up quickly. I'll let others chime in if arriving at 8:15 or 8:30 is ok. Then head straight to the ride.

The concerts at Thanksgiving were open to all park goers, so I assume these would be too. The only issue is for Seasonal Pass holders that are blocked out from US on those days. They would have to upgrade to Power Passes.

Not much changed between our trips in 2017 and 2019. You know about Hagrids already (great ride!). Fast and Furious didn't thrill us much, though we liked it better than others. Jimmy Fallon's Race Through NY is ok.

I don't think the Hagrid's strategy has changed much from when we went back in November. You safest bet is to get to IOA early. They normally open the gates 15 minutes before the posted time, so 8:45 for a 9:00 start. We got in line at 8:00 and brought breakfast with us. The crowds really piled up quickly. I'll let others chime in if arriving at 8:15 or 8:30 is ok. Then head straight to the ride.

The concerts at Thanksgiving were open to all park goers, so I assume these would be too. The only issue is for Seasonal Pass holders that are blocked out from US on those days. They would have to upgrade to Power Passes.

Not much changed between our trips in 2017 and 2019. You know about Hagrids already (great ride!). Fast and Furious didn't thrill us much, though we liked it better than others. Jimmy Fallon's Race Through NY is ok.

Thanks!

If you've been lately, what's the best strategy for the new Hagrid coaster? (or do you think it isn't worth the hassle until they get the kinks worked out?)
Hagrids is an amazing ride. One of the best. We have been lucky and, other than one ten minute delay, have managed to ride every time we have tried using RD.

Hagrids is an amazing ride. One of the best. We have been lucky and, other than one ten minute delay, have managed to ride every time we have tried using RD.

Excellent! That makes me feel very hopeful that we'll get to experience it. I've heard a lot of "it was down from ____ to ____" stories, and I wasn't sure.

The alternative strategy for Hagrid’s is to ride it in the early afternoon, around 1pm-2pm. It tends to have the shortest wait posted then and many people have got on in less than an hour - the posted wait is normally inflated in case of delays.

I did the group VIP Experience, so zero wait for Hagrid's. That the BEST way. Or review the extensive Hagrid's thread on here for other strategies.

The Mardi Gras concert is in an open air band shell. You can hear it from a distance or grab a seat. It's not generally hard to see, but I guess it depends on who's performing.

The day we got on last week we waited until around lunch time. The wait went down to 75 mins when we decided to get in line. We only waited an hour. 75 mins was the lowest I ever saw it get during the days we were there.

Thanks everyone, but we ended up canceling. :(

I will say that Universal was extremely good about it! They actually called us (because we were booked in the new Dockside hotel, and the opening is delayed now) so DH didn't even have to wait on the phone for hours.

Thanks everyone, but we ended up canceling. :(

I will say that Universal was extremely good about it! They actually called us (because we were booked in the new Dockside hotel, and the opening is delayed now) so DH didn't even have to wait on the phone for hours.

It stinks that your vacation had to be canceled but at least you won't be out of pocket with nothing to do there. Hopefully you can find another time to visit when we're all on the other side of this.

In all honesty I'm not a fan of the Hagrid ride. The Mardi Gras parade is fun unless you get hit with beads or until someone fights you for beads which is a weird thing to fight over but hey that's beside the point.
I reaally enjoyed Universal's new water show and well of course the best ride Universal has is still Revenge Of The Mummy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter