Help me plan my Disney compact Sony FF kit

LGithens

Mouseketeer
I’ve been a Canon girl since the 70’s. My last two Canons are the 60D and mirrorless M50. I love the small form factor of the M50, but the low light, high iso performance is awful. I even returned my first M50 because I thought there was something wrong because the higher iso photos were terribly grainy. But nope that’s the way it is.
I want better low light performance and I want to go full frame. I was seriously considering the RP, but my gut says Sony may be a better choice, especially now that they have the smaller A7C.
Half of the fun is researching what lenses I’ll need. Emphasis on smaller and compact. What I need in a kit...
*All round lens...sounds like the 28-60 kit will do just fine ( walking around Disney, other travel)
* Disney dark ride lens. My aspc go to was my Sigma 30 1.4. What is a good FF equivalent?
* An ultra wide, wide aperture lens. Like 14, 18 maybe even 20 2.8 Mainly for travel in low light cramped space settings. (Hoping to go back to Israel in 2022, and the church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is cramped and low light. My aspc 17 2.8 wasn't wide enough, Rokinon and Samyang look promising,
* General use telephoto lens. Just for those times you need a little more reach. From what I’ve read the aspc Sony 55-210 might fill the bill even on the A7C. My brother has one, so I can try it, if I go for the A7C.

Remember I want the impossible- small footprint, lightweight, affordable, but good quality.
I’ve had the Mark 1 Sony RX100, so I am somewhat familiar with the Sony menu system, but for the most part a total Sony newb!

The A7c is an awesome camera! I just got it a month ago. I haven't had the chance to use it at the parks yet but we're planning to move there this summer. I would imagine this would be a great camera for the parks. It's a smaller version of the a73 but with some good upgrades. Mainly with autofocus and the colors out of the camera. Are you thinking of buying or renting your gear?

*All round lens...sounds like the 28-60 kit will do just fine ( walking around Disney, other travel)
* Disney dark ride lens. My aspc go to was my Sigma 30 1.4. What is a good FF equivalent?
* An ultra wide, wide aperture lens. Like 14, 18 maybe even 20 2.8 Mainly for travel in low light cramped space settings. (Hoping to go back to Israel in 2022, and the church of the Nativity in Bethlehem is cramped and low light. My aspc 17 2.8 wasn't wide enough, Rokinon and Samyang look promising,
* General use telephoto lens. Just for those times you need a little more reach. From what I’ve read the aspc Sony 55-210 might fill the bill even on the A7C. My brother has one, so I can try it, if I go for the A7C.

- I use the Sigma 24-70 2.8. I love it. While it's a great quality lens, it's HEAVY! almost too heavy for the A7c. You should be just fine with the kit lens. If you want a constant aperture, then maybe look into the Tameron 28-75 2.8 or the newly announced Sigma 28-70 2.8.
- Before switching to Full Frame I used to have an a6000 series camera and had the exact lens. I probably used that lens more than the kit lens. The full-frame equivalent would be something around 50mm or so. If you don't mind sacrificing image quality you can get the 1.8 version for around $200-$250. I just got a 35mm 1.4 lens I can't wait to use for dark rides.
- For an ultra-wide lens, are you looking for a zoom lens or a prime? When I went to Israel in 2012 I used a 16-35 equivalent and it was great.

Using APSC lenses on a full-frame body will result in lower image quality. sometimes that's not a huge issue but for some, it can be a deal-breaker. You will also lose low light performance as well. Hope this helps!

The A7c is an awesome camera! I just got it a month ago. I haven't had the chance to use it at the parks yet but we're planning to move there this summer. I would imagine this would be a great camera for the parks. It's a smaller version of the a73 but with some good upgrades. Mainly with autofocus and the colors out of the camera. Are you thinking of buying or renting your gear?

- I use the Sigma 24-70 2.8. I love it. While it's a great quality lens, it's HEAVY! almost too heavy for the A7c. You should be just fine with the kit lens. If you want a constant aperture, then maybe look into the Tameron 28-75 2.8 or the newly announced Sigma 28-70 2.8.
- Before switching to Full Frame I used to have an a6000 series camera and had the exact lens. I probably used that lens more than the kit lens. The full-frame equivalent would be something around 50mm or so. If you don't mind sacrificing image quality you can get the 1.8 version for around $200-$250. I just got a 35mm 1.4 lens I can't wait to use for dark rides.
- For an ultra-wide lens, are you looking for a zoom lens or a prime? When I went to Israel in 2012 I used a 16-35 equivalent and it was great.

Using APSC lenses on a full-frame body will result in lower image quality. sometimes that's not a huge issue but for some, it can be a deal-breaker. You will also lose low light performance as well. Hope this helps!
Thanks!
First off, I would like to eventually get a constant aperture walk around lens, but I know for a least the first year I’ll make due with the kit lens. I’ve heard good things about it and since it’ll be mainly used in good light, it should serve the purpose and be nice and compact.
Since I grew up using a Canon AE-1, with a 50mm the majority of the time, I plan on getting the nifty fifty. With a crop, I rarely use the one I have finding it an awkward fl for me. But a 35 1.4 is on my long list.
I was considering the Tamron 20 2.8 as a cheap ultra wide angle, and/or I might get the MC-11 adapter and try using my Tokina 16-28 2.8 that I recently bought thinking I was going to get the RP. And if I’m getting the adapter, I have a great, but older Canon telephoto zoom lens that works great on my M50 adapted, so should work with the Sony.
I want to get the best lowlight, DR that I can afford, and while the A7C is stretching my budget, I feel if I’m stepping up, let’s try Sony. Most of my lenses are crop sensor anyway, so I need new lenses no matter what I go with. ( and I’ve already sold what I consider the holy grail of Disney dark ridesmy beloved sigma 30 1.4)

Sorry, tried to send a PM but couldn’t.

So did you go to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem on your trip? Did you use the 16-35? What’s the largest aperture again?
this is one reason I want to upgrade my camera. I’ve been to Israel twice, once with my Canon 60D and M50. We only went to the church the first trip and I was using a 17-70 2.8-4 and 17 was not nearly wide enough.And since you’re in cramped quarters, they are trying to rush you through there and the lighting isn’t ideal, I want to have better equipment next time. Plus I love taking Disney dark ride photos and I’m just tired of having terrible lowlight performance. The M50 is terrible at high iso’s I actually took it back saying there was something wrong with it, but no that’s the way it is.
Curious to know your experiences

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter