Help me understand PAT vs boarding group

bfamily5

DIS Veteran
We're planning to use Disney transportation from WDW to PC and as I understand it we won't need to pic a PAT time since we will arrive early and have access to the terminal. But how do they determine boarding group? Do I still have to stay up till 1am to check in? How do they determine boarding group? TIA! First trip since covid!

The PAT and boarding groups are linked together, so earlier PATs have lower boarding group #s to clear out the waiting area. You shouldn't need to pick anything if you're using DCL transfer.

There was such a bottleneck at the check in, they had blown past our BG by the time we got through security. So you probably won't even have to wait once you get past security.

If you're a returning cruiser, no need to stay up if you have port transfers. The only thing you would need to be up for is royal gathering at 30 days if you're interested in that (I rested my eyes "for a bit" and didn't make it 🤦‍♀️ )

You will still need to pick a PTA, it just won't actually matter since all those on DCL get earlier boarding.

You will still need to pick a PTA, it just won't actually matter since all those on DCL get earlier boarding.

I didn't have to, I advanced to the page and it told me what it was. I think if you're coming from the airport you have to pick at PAT though.

The resort pick-up is one time. They aren’t coming back for more.

The airport runs for hours to accommodate flight arrivals - hence the need for a PAT + BG.

For those who do pick a PAT, they are not given an option for BG number. It is just assigned. Be it plane arrival + bus or car/non-DCL shuttle, rideshare…

As mentioned before, PATs and BGs are linked together. DCL wants a steady flow of people coming in the terminal, and embarking into the ship. If you change your PAT to an earlier PAT you will also get an earlier BG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter