Help my brain w/planning points :)

linzjane88

Closet Disneyphile
My wheels are just not turning right trying to figure this out. I trying to figure out how many points I will have available to me in a future trip when borrowing. I own at SSR, 225 points with a September UY.

2017:0
2018: 77
2019 225

My plan is to take a trip in September 2019. Assuming I book at 7 months (February 2019), I will have 302 available to use, right? I couldn't figure out if I would have the 18/19 points or 18/19/20.

Thanks for the help with something I should be able to figure out on my own :teacher: :D

If you want to book for September 2019 first off it tends to be a busy time so i would book your home resort at 11 months, because there might be limited options if you wait until 7 months. As for your points -- if you bank your sept 2018 points into 2019 - then you would have a total of 302 points -- if you need more than that then you can borrow from your 2020 points, which would allow you to have up to 527 points for use in Sept 2019. the points only need to be available at the time of travel so for Sept 2019 travel you will have your 2018 points (provided you bank them by April of 2018) all of your 2019 points and then you can dip into your 2020 points.

If you want to book for September 2019 first off it tends to be a busy time so i would book your home resort at 11 months, because there might be limited options if you wait until 7 months. As for your points -- if you bank your sept 2018 points into 2019 - then you would have a total of 302 points -- if you need more than that then you can borrow from your 2020 points, which would allow you to have up to 527 points for use in Sept 2019. the points only need to be available at the time of travel so for Sept 2019 travel you will have your 2018 points (provided you bank them by April of 2018) all of your 2019 points and then you can dip into your 2020 points.
Sweet thank you so much! Your right, I should book at SSR as a backup. We are hoping for a 2 bedroom at AKL, staying there is on the wishlist of our friends we are inviting to stay with us.

Since owning DVC we have been in a perpetual state of borrowing so this whole banking thing will be new to me. If I had it to do over again I would buy more points and not buy a stripped /partially stripped for sure! And here I thought I would be staying in studios at OKW to stretch my points :rolleyes:.

If I had it to do over again I would buy more points and not buy a stripped /partially stripped for sure!
This is the way most people feel! It is tough to get out of the borrowing mode once you get into it. The only work around would be if you happen to get a transfer of points one year -- this might be less expensive than truly adding on with another contract (unless you envision more/frequent trips in the future)

This is the way most people feel! It is tough to get out of the borrowing mode once you get into it. The only work around would be if you happen to get a transfer of points one year -- this might be less expensive than truly adding on with another contract (unless you envision more/frequent trips in the future)

I forsee an add on in our future, I'm thinking if I can make due with some borrowing for the next year or two I'll add a smallish contract on. I should look into a transfer though. That may very well hold me over for a bit.

Since our purchase we've discovered Aulani, getting bigger places for family and friends to join, and the beauty of having a kitchen /bedroom even with just the kids. You know, changing our travel patterns after we bought like so many of the smart current DVC owners suggest might happen:rotfl:

My wheels are just not turning right trying to figure this out. I trying to figure out how many points I will have available to me in a future trip when borrowing. I own at SSR, 225 points with a September UY.

2017:0
2018: 77
2019 225

My plan is to take a trip in September 2019. Assuming I book at 7 months (February 2019), I will have 302 available to use, right? I couldn't figure out if I would have the 18/19 points or 18/19/20.

Thanks for the help with something I should be able to figure out on my own :teacher: :D

A September 2019 trip falls within your 2019 use year. To pay for that trip, you can use points you banked from 2018 (you'll need to bank the 77 if you want to use them for that trip), your 2019 points and if needed, you can borrow up to 225 points from your 2020 use year.

You can book your trip at your home resort at 11 months or a non-home resort at 7 months.

The Understanding Use Year thread may help you better understand how all this works. Give it a look when you have time.

A September 2019 trip falls within your 2019 use year. To pay for that trip, you can use points you banked from 2018 (you'll need to bank the 77 if you want to use them for that trip), your 2019 points and if needed, you can borrow up to 225 points from your 2020 use year.

You can book your trip at your home resort at 11 months or a non-home resort at 7 months.

The Understanding Use Year thread may help you better understand how all this works. Give it a look when you have time.

Thank you! I looked it over and wrote it out with my dates and finally got it to sink in. And since I'll have access to those 2020 points for that trip, maybe I'll just have to upgrade our view for our Aulani stay in May :scratchin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!