Help the Newbie?

Mouskateacher

Earning My Ears
Hi! I'm new to actually posting... I've read a lot of them and have decided that this is the place to come to get all the really good info. My friend and I (35 year old females) have never been to WDW before. We'll be staying for seven days and have the UHP. She is in really good shape. Me? I have bipolar disorder, a thyroid problem, and a hip that gives out.

Since WDW is the happiest place on earth... I don't want my trip to be ruined when my ankles begin to swell and my hip locks. Both of which would start to push my buttons... and turn me into my alter ego Bipolar Girl. Me limping around having a bad hair day will be a downer for me... being around me when I'm limping around having a bad hair day will be a nightmare for my friend.

I've used the Special Assistance Pass at Disneyland. This helped but I still had mobility problems. Caused a bit of tension between me and my friend. I know that the WDW has guest assistance cards. We are staying on site and plan to take breaks. Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, is there a link to where I could find info about obtaining the ECV?

Thanks,
Lori:Pinkbounc

I believe if you go to the WDW website there is info regarding these cards. You can also go to Deb Willis's site at http://allearsnet.com/ or mousesavers.com for more information. There are a lot of good threads here that can help you with rentals and a lot of really nice informative fellow DISers that can help you out with information. I would rent something ECV or wheelchair to help you and your friend out! Pixie dust to you!

Hi, Lori! there are bunch of really great people here with all kinds of experience with WDW and disabilities. It sounds like an ECV would make things a lot easier for you at the parks and renting from an off-site provider gives you the use of the ECV at the resort and Downtown Disney. WDW is huge, and often the walk into the park or around the parks can be one of the more difficult parts. The transportation at WDW is great with ECV's and so it can hop from park to park right along with you.

Many of the rides have mainstream queues and you will be able to drive the ECV to the ride, get on and have it there when you leave. You can also park it outside of the ride (don't forget to take the key with you!) and just get into line with everyone else, as the distances between rides is usually much more difficult than the distance in the lines. There are a few rides (mostly at the Magic Kingdom) where you will need to enter at the exit because they don't have the mainstream queues, but fortunately they are the exception and not the rule(smile).

The only reason you would need a Special Assistance Pass if you are using an ECV would be if you have some other disability that isn't handled by using an ECV. An example would be if you needed to wait in a shaded area (where they are provided) because of sun sensitivity.

Hope you have a great trip!

Welcome to disABILITIES. Here is information about EVCs which you might find useful.

Here are the urls and phone numbers:

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246!

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

The information at alleasrs.net about GACs is mostly about their use for people with autism related conditions.
Anyway, the Special Assistance Card at DL is a little differnt than the GAC at WDW. At DL, many of the rides/attractions are only accessible thru alternate entrances. They seem to give out a lot of SAC to give access to the alternate entrances. At WDW, if your major difficulties are mobility, you generally won't need a GAC. Most of the lines have been made wheelchair and ecv accessible, so you can drive right into the Mainstream lines. For those places where you need accomidation, the wheelchair or ecv will get you access to the alternate entrance without having a GAC.
Here's an explaination of the differences between DL use of SAC and WDW use of GACs on an unlikely place, a Debate Board thread.

Definately agree with the others that an off-site rental ecvv is the way to go. The distances at WDW are much longer than most people think because the parks are huge (especially if you are used to DL). Just to go around WS in Ecpot is more than one mile. I've seen estimates that the average person walks between 3 and 8 miles a day while at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter