Help with luggage/wheelchair at MCO

smidgy

dimples
Now that magical express doesn’t transport your luggage anymore I found myself on the ground floor at MCO with 2 bags to check, 2 carryons, a boarding bag and a husband needing a wheelchair. It was on the reservation. I called United from the resort as the bus was leaving to sayIneedef a porter, wheelchair and luggage cart. The ME driver also called the airport, then called again about 10 minutes out. Noon ever came. I called again . The agent suggested I go inznd get a united employee. But that would’ve 3 flights up and down a long ways. Finally we decided to try to make it there on our own; hubby struggling to walk with 2 suitcases and trying to follow my voice as he is almost blind now. A family of angels went WAY out of their way to help us. God bless them!!!!. Where the buses let you off there was an empty rack that used to hold luggage carts for rent for $5...precocious. A nice lady on FB said there is a phone right inside there on the ground floor and to dial zero zero if you need help. No one told me about that. Anyway. Wha one familiar with that phone or share what theydo in that predicament now that you’re on your own with luggage? When he was healthy and could see we would’ve managed ( as everyone else seemed to be struggling as well if they had kids, etc. that resort airline checkin was such a big help to the disabled!

Oh wow. I had no idea we were on our own with our luggage. Is it both ways or just one way now? It’s difficult to wrestle with the luggage and the person in a wheelchair. The ME is one of the reasons we always stay on property.

I’m so glad you had people who would help you! I’ve found more people are kind than aren’t. I hope you and your husband had a good trip.

You are now responsible for your luggage both ways. It really was a perk, that Disney eliminated. You need to get your luggage to ME when you arrive in Orlando and take care of luggage upon return.

I do know that if you pay for an Uber, they take you to curbside check-in. I needed wheelchair assistance, and after my experience on the last trip, I went with Uber. I needed to go all the way to Southwest, so I called DME before I left home. "No problem", they said. "Just tell your bus driver, and he'll call for a wheelchair so it will be waiting for you when you arrive at the airport." So I did...then I noticed him put the bus in gear to go without making any call. So I asked him "Are you going to call for my wheelchair?" "No" he said. When I asked him why DME had told me that he would, he just shrugged his shoulders and began to drive. It was a solo trip, so I really felt abandoned when I arrived. Unfortunately Uber is the only way for me to go now. It's a cost, but MUCH better for me. And, yes, I did call and complain to DME when I got home, but too many reports on this board have suggested to me that, despite promises of change, nothing really has.

Is this change permanent or just temporary due to covid?

I assumed at least initially that it was just because of covid, because they were trying to reduce people touching other's possessions to protect...well, everyone involved. However, with all the layoffs, I'm not sure what to expect in the future. I think it will come back eventually but am not sure where in the order of items to bring back it might be, if that makes sense.

I remember the first time we went, they didn't do luggage. Hopefully, they'll bring it back someday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!