Helpful mask accessory

mamabunny

DIS Veteran
OK, this won't help everyone, but I wanted to post what I found (and bought, and tested) because. know that a *lot* of folks and/or their loved ones are struggling with wearing a mask.

It's a "Mask Inner Support Frame" and I found it at (where else?) Amazon.

I got them several days ago. I actually wash mine in the laundry, in a lingerie bag, with my used washable fabric masks, and then let it air dry. The listing says it is dishwasher safe, and can be boiled if needed, (and of course, you could hand wash it as well) but I think a trip through the white wash will be adequate.

Just like wearing a mask, it does take some getting used to, although I adapted to it much quicker than I initially thought I might. In the interest of keeping this as easy to read as possible, let's go to the pros and cons list!

Cons first (get the bad stuff out of the way!)
- It can get sweaty between the silicone and your skin. Depending on your mask style, this could maybe be mitigated by installing the frame into the filter pocket. If you do that, make sure that the opening to the pocket doesn't allow unfiltered air flow!
- If you forget you have it on, it could fall to the ground when you take your mask off/down. Some of the versions being sold have some little "clips" built in to thread part of the mask through, but that seems to be mostly for disposable masks. I guess you could literally hand sew one into each mask;
- If you are swapping masks throughout the day, you might want to carry a few extra of these as well; I just stick them in the clean sandwich bag with my extra masks.
- If your mask does not fit tight enough, it can slip around.
- If your nose is larger (like my hubby's) or you have chubby cheeks (like another family member) it may not work well for you.

Pros:
- I don't feel as claustrophobic at all when wearing a mask - it made a huge difference for me.
- The added "openess" inside the mask makes the air inside the mask feel a little cooler and easier to breathe.
- It's truly lightweight, so it doesn't create more "drag" on my ears. (from the combined weight of the mask + frame)
- It isn't really super noticeable when it's on.
- I can just throw it in the laundry with my used masks (I was it all in a lingerie bag, and then air dry)

If you have any more questions, I will do my best to answer them - and I hope these help someone else as much as they have helped me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!