Hemming a princess dress

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
As someone who is not crafty at all, I have a question. I have purchased the deluxe Cinderella dress for my niece. The problem is, it is a few inches too long. If we go to the next smaller size, it will not fit. How on earth do you hem tulle? Is it even possible? Is there such a thing a double stick tape that will hold the skirts up, but not harm the dress? :confused3 There is no way to take it in at the waist, that is where all of the bustles and such are. Any ideas for me? We have 2 months before our trip to Disney, so right now I am just hoping that my niece grows some before she wants to wear it.

If it is just the tulle that is too long, there is no need to hem it. You can just cut tulle and leave the edge raw as it will not fray like regular fabrics.

If you don't want to cut the tuile, you can hem it too. I did that for one of my daughter's Snow White dresses. I didn't want to cut it, because I wanted her to be able to wear it for a few years. She got it when she was two and can still wer it now that she's 8. (she's a little pip squeek) My three year old wears it now too.

I just hemmed it up with my sewing machine.

I'm not sure of the dress you have, but would it be possible to put a sash on it to make the waist a bit tighter? I've done that with some of my daughter's dresses as well.

My DD's Aurora costume was too long also, there was a layer of satin and a layer of toole. I hemmed it by hand, the stitching is fairly loose so that as she grows we can let it out.

I agree, just cut the tulle. You can always sew lace or something pretty on later if she grows taller and the dress still fits.

I mistakenly left DD's dresses too long (from the Disney Store) and she tripped on them, ripping out the section where the bodice meets the skirt. It destroyed the dresses!

Now I sew them for her.

teresajoy said:
If you don't want to cut the tuile, you can hem it too. I did that for one of my daughter's Snow White dresses. I didn't want to cut it, because I wanted her to be able to wear it for a few years. She got it when she was two and can still wer it now that she's 8. (she's a little pip squeek) My three year old wears it now too.

I just hemmed it up with my sewing machine.

I'm not sure of the dress you have, but would it be possible to put a sash on it to make the waist a bit tighter? I've done that with some of my daughter's dresses as well.

wa - too cute

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter