HHI- must do's

Susan C

Susan C
Hello,

Taking our first trip to HHI in two weeks, DS and I are driving down from NJ, should we bring our own beach chairs? What about fishing gear? Anything else a HHI newbie should know?
We will be meeting DH there.. he is a MAJOR Foodie.. any suggestions?

Thanks so much... hope we get away from Winter!!!

Susan :goodvibes

Subbing in. We are heading to HHI for the first time in June - looking for any tips.

Subbing! Last time we were there was for job stuff so I'd love to get some tips too.

When we fish in Myrtle we catch little sharks. Any chance of this in HHI? I'd like to do some crabbing as well.

There really is a ton of stuff to do on the island. Other than just golf. If you have never been I suggest a trip into Sea Pines. Go to South Beach for lunch, check out the Salty dog and some other great shops.
You could do your water sports from there. Wave runners, dolphin cruises..etc.

Then head over to Harbour Towne. You must go there. Walk the lighthouse, look in the shops. Also water sports from there. Para sailing is excellent there.

Closer to home is Shelter Cove. Once again water sports there. We have rented a platoon boat (lots of fun), also chartered a boat that was a great entertaining time! Any interest I can look up the name.

Of course the beach and pools are fun. Rent chairs and umbrella...read a book.

If you have the room bring your own chairs. But we find it easy to rent. Then we can ride our bikes to the beach house.

Renting bikes are a must. We rent at Disney then also at South beach and ride to harbour towne.

And eat!! And Drink!

Right across at Shelter Cove Scotts is very good.
We love the Black Marlin, and Wild Wings. Alexandars also wonderful (you will pass this on the way to the beach)

+1 on the bikes. The island is covered with bike paths, and the ones in Sea Pines Plantation are particularly nice.

Also, unless it's particularly windy, or the tide is really high, riding on the beach is really great. The sand is firm enough so that it's not any more effort
than riding on a paved path.

Hello,

Taking our first trip to HHI in two weeks, DS and I are driving down from NJ, should we bring our own beach chairs? What about fishing gear? Anything else a HHI newbie should know?
We will be meeting DH there.. he is a MAJOR Foodie.. any suggestions?

Thanks so much... hope we get away from Winter!!!

Susan :goodvibes

DS is a major foodie too! Bullies BBQ, Low Country Backyard, Sea Shack are our favorites. Bullies and Sea Shack are nothing to look at, but great food. We got food recommendations from the "locals" which turned out to be a great thing. There are a lot of tourist restaurants that are well advertised, but not very good.
We're going down again in August(Jersey girl here too) and we will be bringing(or purchasing beach chairs). You can rent them on the beach but it's expensive.

It's been too long since I've been to HHI, I'm thinking I need to plan another trip.

It's a great place for relaxing and doing nothing, but we do spend a day (or most of a day) in harbor town - not sure if I spelled that right. We're not fancy food people, we look forward to our dinner at the Salty Dog Cafe every trip. And, of course, we get lost in the dark headed back to DVC every time.
There are so many great places to eat right at Shelter Cove, and we usually stay around there, but we also make sure to head down to Aunt Chilada's Easy St Cafe at least once, it's far from fine dining- unless the spaghetti burrito is considered fine dining, but it's a fun atmosphere.

Have a great trip, I hope you have. Great weather.

We were planning on renting chairs and umbrella, but we found we did not need too. Loved the Beach House.....pool, w/volleyball net, ping pong, pool table, arcade, pool bar, counter service food (really good, with ice cream) and they have a nice club room w/ chairs, game tables, and board games for those chilly days.

When we went down on the beach we just brought our towels, swam in the ocean for like 45 minutes and then back up to the Beach House. My boys are not into lounging on the beach. But they have chairs and umbrellas if you need them.

Grocery store very close and I hear it is been redone and now a Krogers.

Bike rental is a must. They have a great pool area, fishing pier, fire pit area for evening activities. There are hammocks and adirondack chairs all over the resort. Also some grills and picnic tables.

My one son bought a crabbing cage and bait. I believe they have the poles for rental, but not sure.

Plenty of activities at resort. Main building has a great library/billiard room.

Food .....great restaurants we only tried two....Salty Dog Cafe for lunch ( Sea Pines Plantation is a must day trip. It at the south end of the island, private community. You have to pay $5 a car to get in, but that is where you will find Harbourtown and South Beach with the Salty Dog.
DH and I are at the British Open Pub....it was fantastic .....hot pretzel appetizers, fish and chips, lobster pot pie and great beers. We love it.

We can not wait to get back next year...this year...VB.:cool1:

You must have this...

l.jpg

I second Sea Shack! We also love Dye's Gullah Fixin's but you need reservations. Don't miss Skull Creek Boathouse; wonderful!

Think I just saw a groupon for movies on HHI.

Must do? Come to Savannah! :)

Also, go to the grill when Joyce is cooking and get a Joyceburger.

Talk to Mike the Pool Guy. You HAVE to talk to Mike.

Hilton Head Island has a number of Monuments to the solders of foreign wars. There is a magnificent one behind the Mall (what is left of the Mall...Kroger?) Ride your bike back behind the complex and there is a park. The memorial is next to the park. There is another on Pope ave., again on a bike trail.

Another good bike place is Pinckney Island. It's a haul, but, the ride out to the north point is a good ride.

Don't forget Signe's

If you like jazz check out the Jazz Corner. Its not too far from the resort. You need to call and make reservations, some weekends they sell out. We are going Saturday night. :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter