Hill training in Disney World

WalkingintheFog

DIS Veteran
Any suggestions on how to get some hill training in onsite at Disney world? :confused3

Staying onsite, no plans for a car at this point in time.
I need to get about 9 hill repeats in Oct 2 & 9
(I have a 20k hilly road race on Oct 19

I'll be staying at BWV, and the options I've come up with are stair repeats, or some sort of work out at the fitness centre there (not sure what machine there is best, as I've never hill trained inside)

I'd rather run outdoors, because that's what I'm used to, but.....:confused3

Florida is flat. And WDW frowns on using their roads (and cloverleaf on/offramps) apart from during an official running event. :)

Use the treadmill on a high incline for the hill part.

Thanks, Bumbershoot! I knew not to go on the highways & byways....lack of sidewalks was my first clue!:lmao:

Can't stand the dreadmill unless just for walking!

Not very long but the little bridge over the canal leading to the Swan and Dolphin behind the BWV is an option: Up one side, down the other. Turn around and repeat...and repeat, and repeat. It seems like one heck of a hill at that stage of the marathon (and on a surrey bike).

There is also the tunnel under the canal on the road past the Beach Club entrance. There is a sidewalk if I remember correctly. The hill coming up is a little longer than the foot bridge above.

Good luck!

The only thing I can think of you could use would be World Dr where it goes under Bay Lake on the way to the Contemporary. This "underpass" has a long side walk. Bus to MK then walk back to the road. Google Maps street view will show you the length of the side walk.

Not very long but the little bridge over the canal leading to the Swan and Dolphin behind the BWV is an option: Up one side, down the other. Turn around and repeat...and repeat, and repeat. It seems like one heck of a hill at that stage of the marathon (and on a surrey bike).

There is also the tunnel under the canal on the road past the Beach Club entrance. There is a sidewalk if I remember correctly. The hill coming up is a little longer than the foot bridge above.

Good luck!

The only thing I can think of you could use would be World Dr where it goes under Bay Lake on the way to the Contemporary. This "underpass" has a long side walk. Bus to MK then walk back to the road. Google Maps street view will show you the length of the side walk.

Yup to the above Florida mountain workouts. :) Treadmill at WL, as suggested by bumbershoot, on a 10 would work the body really fast so not that much time spent on it. Warm up outside, go in on the mill then back outside. Take path to FW and plenty of distance to run there.

I'm down in South Florida and just this morning I ran 2 back to back 5K's in a park down here in Davie Florida that I think was built on an old dumpster and the place is basically all hills,we climbed 3 hills in each 5K that were probably 100 feet if not more.The races were called the King of the Hill 5K that we ran at 7:30 and after finishing we went back to the starting line and did the King of Color color run at 8:30 on the same course.All I can say is I'm from Florida and I did fine in the first race but did a good amount of walking for the color run,the sun was hot and those hills were totally foreign to me.

I'm down in South Florida and just this morning I ran 2 back to back 5K's in a park down here in Davie Florida that I think was built on an old dumpster and the place is basically all hills,we climbed 3 hills in each 5K that were probably 100 feet if not more.The races were called the King of the Hill 5K that we ran at 7:30 and after finishing we went back to the starting line and did the King of Color color run at 8:30 on the same course.All I can say is I'm from Florida and I did fine in the first race but did a good amount of walking for the color run,the sun was hot and those hills were totally foreign to me.

Tree Tops Park????

My mom lives in Tamarac and next time I'm at her house I might hit it.

I am in West Palm and the closest thing to a hill here are the bridges going over the intracoastal waterway in Riviera Beach and Lake Worth.

Yup to the above Florida mountain workouts. :) Treadmill at WL, as suggested by bumbershoot, on a 10 would work the body really fast so not that much time spent on it. Warm up outside, go in on the mill then back outside. Take path to FW and plenty of distance to run there.

Agree with the run over to Fort Wilderness. I plan on driving up for a long run going around all of the campsites plus over and back to the Wilderness Lodge. Rough mapping puts the distance about 14 to 15 miles.

Agree with the run over to Fort Wilderness. I plan on driving up for a long run going around all of the campsites plus over and back to the Wilderness Lodge. Rough mapping puts the distance about 14 to 15 miles.

DW and I will be at FW later this week for her annual birthday stay. Saturday 0300 I will be starting my 14+ miler and be joined by DW around 0500. We will be catching up on our visit with the deer out early in the AM. I had a buck run along the side of the road for a bit with me in June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter