• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton Head newbie questions

Brandis

DIS Veteran
Have stayed at Vero Beach before but not Hilton Head, as far as off-WDW DVC resorts go.

How is the room setup at Hilton Head? Studios in the main building and villas in the other building, similiar to Vero? Or do they have all room types all over the place?

Looking at the aerial views on Google Maps, the main building and some other nearby buildings have red roofes while the rest (except one building near the pool) have grey roofes. Any significance to this?

Any recommendations on what to request for a good studio location?

Have stayed at Vero Beach before but not Hilton Head, as far as off-WDW DVC resorts go.

How is the room setup at Hilton Head? Studios in the main building and villas in the other building, similiar to Vero? Or do they have all room types all over the place?

Looking at the aerial views on Google Maps, the main building and some other nearby buildings have red roofes while the rest (except one building near the pool) have grey roofes. Any significance to this?

Yes, most of the studios are in the main building, 16 of the 21 studios. The other 5 are on the first floor in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30. if I remember correctly. It's important to note that in those buildings the studios are on the first floor, because the only disadvantage I've found at HHI is that the footsteps above you can be VERY obvious and distracting (expecially late at night or early in the AM). Primarily for that reason, I recommend the studios in the main building, although we like the proximity to Big Murgie's Den besides. Here's our view from building 19-

Building 28 was similar. We loved the view from building 18, but the footsteps issue would prevent me from recommending it. My favorites are in the main building -11_4, 11_6 (the underscore will be the floor-either second or third is great). However, I don't know when you're going. The only drawback is that in the morning the sun faces the balcony and it gets pretty toasty out there if you're going in spring or summer. We go in November, and like those.

Thanks!

We're going in early October, so some sun in the morning should be nice :-)

BTW, any recommendations for Breakfast! We like Diner-style places.

Thanks!

We're going in early October, so some sun in the morning should be nice :-)

BTW, any recommendations for Breakfast! We like Diner-style places.

About 1/2 mile south of the resort (on Rt 278) is the Hilton Head Diner which does a brisk breakfast business every day. There are other options too depending on how far you are willing to travel for breakfast.

Sounds good! I also saw that there is a IHOP near the airport, I think we'll be set for breakfast... :-)

Another good breakfast place not too far from the resort is Stack's Pancakes. Another advantage I found with the main building that I'd forgotten is that it's the only building with an elevator. And since in the other buildings, even the first floor is up one flight of stairs, the main building is the only place to avoid stairs. And in October you'll be close to the cranberry nut cookies and warm apple cider every afternoon in the lobby.

Best Breakfast we had was at Harold's Diner. It is definitely a local hole in the wall. Just be prepared if you go there that their deal is being rude. For example when we went my DS asked for a refill of coke. The guy behind the counter said "Diet Coke" , son said "No, regular coke". This went on for several exchanges then my son got a refill of "Diet Coke". But it is a very fun place. Only seats maybe 15-20 people. Best dinner was at Bullies Bar-b-que. Excellent food and reasonable prices. Beware of Up the Creek if you are using charge cards. They gave themselves a 100% tip. Our bill came to $89.79 after tip but our card was charged for $157.58.

if you can avoid the INN do it... when someone above you drains their tub... it sounds like a monster is trying to come out of your pipes... its loud and obnoxious. it doesn't happen all the time, but enough that we had to almost change our room twice!

The Red Roof buildings denote public space buildings...it does not mean the entire building is a public space but it houses some type of shared public areas.

We have stayed in three different buildings - all in different locations on the property...logistically.

We spent a week in a 1BR over new years in the Lodge - it was OK. If I were going to be there for a weekend, or just an overnight the lodge is a perfect location.
Important note as well - ALL of the handicap/wheelchair accessible rooms are located in the lodge and the adjoining building.

We were in a Grand Villa that was one building away from the pool last year over the July 4th holiday - and while I liked the location - I HATE that all of the Grand Villas are essentially on the 3rd floor (really only the 2nd floor... but because all of the building are up off the ground by 4-5 feet... it feels like it is 3 flights of steps). We would ask for that location again if we were going to be in a Grand Villa - I like the proximity to hammocks, grills, games, and the pool.

However, we were in a 1BR with a view of the pool - and so far that has been our favorite location.

We have not been in a marsh view- but I really think that would be our favorite location - I just love to watch the tides throughout the day, for some odd reason, the tides at Hilton Head really amuse me! The tide heights are so dramatic - up to 16ft on some days!

Anyway - there really isn't a 'bad' location.

However, depending on the time of year, and length of stay - there are good, better, and best locations.

- If you plan to be in and out of the resort by vehicle all day by vehicle I would definitely prefer a location near the lodge.

- If you are planning an extended stay in the off...off... season, I would request to be near the mouth of the marina. No worries about parking, a lot of privacy, water views, and the great hammock and adirondack chairs.

- If you are there for a week in the summer and plan to spend nearly 100% of your time at the resort, cook all of your meals at the resort, and plan to spend some time at the beach, some time at the pool, but not much in and out, I would stay near the pool. It is a short walk to the beach house shuttle, you are right near the pool, and you have quick access to everything the resort has to offer.

We love HHI, and bought points there...to stay there. So far we haven't traded a single HHI point out of HHI, and won't because we love the 11 month booking window, and want to have ALL of our points available to be able to do that.

We have not been in a marsh view- but I really think that would be our favorite location - I just love to watch the tides throughout the day, for some odd reason, the tides at Hilton Head really amuse me! The tide heights are so dramatic - up to 16ft on some days!

The 1 BR in building 18 has a gorgeous marsh view. I've got a couple pictures taken at the different tide levels, but I'm at work and can't access them-I hope I remember later. It's 1812.

About 1/2 mile south of the resort (on Rt 278) is the Hilton Head Diner which does a brisk breakfast business every day. There are other options too depending on how far you are willing to travel for breakfast.

We ate lunch at the Hilton Head Diner one day. There were lots of menu items and the service was good. We enjoyed it. We ate breakfast in the room every day, though. Love being able to have a leisurely morning without having to get dressed and go find somewhere to eat first thing. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter