HNL City Council unanimously votes for 2nd COVID test requirement

Thanks for the update. We are scheduled to be there Christmas week. My family is all in but I'm on the fence. Watching this closely.

As far Oahu/Honolulu County goes, it's just a resolution so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. They use resolutions to declare that November 1 is City Cheese Day and to say happy birthday to prominent community leaders.

If the Honolulu city council were serious about stopping tourism, they would pen actual legislation.

The other islands, however, are making actual legislative efforts to increase testing requirements.

As far Oahu/Honolulu County goes, it's just a resolution so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. They use resolutions to declare that November 1 is City Cheese Day and to say happy birthday to prominent community leaders.

If the Honolulu city council were serious about stopping tourism, they would pen actual legislation.

The other islands, however, are making actual legislative efforts to increase testing requirements.

I agree, it just throws in another level of uncertainty in an already tenuous situation (the state kept moving the launch of this back).

I have been putting a Hawaii trip on hold since Covid started, all these restrictions has me still holding off to see what happens after they are open for a couple months. Hopefully some of the restrictions come down after the election.

Regardless of implementation or enforcement, the message is: STAY HOME!

-Paul

Regardless of implementation or enforcement, the message is: STAY HOME!

-Paul
If i could move my DVC (through Daves rentals) I would postpone, but at this point if they open Aulani, I lose money. I had no idea when I booked last year for my anniversary, this would be going on! I totally agree with you, they dont want us there, so we plan on staying on the resort grounds and enjoying the walkway, beach, and stuff around there.

Hawaii tourism is set to resume in just 7 days yet the whole testing program remains up in the air with the mayors of Big Island and Kauai signaling they are dropping out of the program.

Now the Honolulu government in Oahu has passed a unanimous action urging the governor to delay the reopening and add a requirement for a second test after arrival as well.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42736717...t-or-postpone-its-pretravel-testing-reopening
Ugh! I'm sorry! This is such a complicated situation, it sounds like there hasn't been enough communication between local and state government to get plans into place in order to safely open up tourism in Hawaii.

If i could move my DVC (through Daves rentals) I would postpone, but at this point if they open Aulani, I lose money. I had no idea when I booked last year for my anniversary, this would be going on! I totally agree with you, they dont want us there, so we plan on staying on the resort grounds and enjoying the walkway, beach, and stuff around there.
The entire state’s economy is dependent upon tourism. I’m sure there are plenty of people who do want us there.

The entire state’s economy is dependent upon tourism. I’m sure there are plenty of people who do want us there.
I have friends that live on two different islands and they'd be much happier to welcome tourists if the two test method was implemented.

Last edited:
I have friends that live on two different islands and they'd be much happier to welcome tourists if the two test method was implemented.
I’d be happy to submit to a second test as well, but I think it should be a rapid test paid for and administered by the state at the airport. Having to find, and pay for a pre-Aulani quarantine hotel while we wait for results, after having to deal with the cost and inconvenience of a pre flight test, is just asking too much of tourists, don’t you think?
So instead of passing symbolic resolutions at the last minute before the state opens, maybe the Honolulu city council should come up with a more concrete plan.

I’d be happy to submit to a second test as well, but I think it should be a rapid test paid for and administered by the state at the airport. Having to find, and pay for a pre-Aulani quarantine hotel while we wait for results, after having to deal with the cost and inconvenience of a pre flight test, is just asking too much of tourists, don’t you think?
So instead of passing symbolic resolutions at the last minute before the state opens, maybe the Honolulu city council should come up with a more concrete plan.
YES 100% THIS.

I’m soo confused. We moved our March reservation to DL, which is now becoming muddled in state politics, but we’re hoping to be able to move reservation back to Aulani, but I no longer even understand the requirement. Also, being Canadian, I‘m not sure its logistically possible at all. We may end up at walt disney worl, which is not my idea of a relaxing vacatio.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!