Holding Hands?

I've often wondered if rights and acceptance were given to the GLBT community if the need to be more "out" would subside. ...
Obviously with acceptance and rights we wouldn't need "We're here, we're queer, get used to it" mentality.

I think we gain more ground by buying a house, moving in, and showing them that we are just the same as them...

I'm with Mike on this one. Of course, Mike works for a company that seems to be pretty accepting despite being in the middle of a homophobic state and I live in a community where I'm legally married and my Christian church was part of the push for equal marriage.

So, Dan, there may be something to your theory.

I think that just living my life and not making a big deal of it normalizes things for the adults around us. (Of course, I'm not much of an out there activist for any issue and tend to just try to live my life and focus my energies on the things I believe in. So, it could just be a personality thing.)

Re: Holding hands

I saw a gay couple holding hands Saturday(10/16) as they headed into Universal Studios.....they were being followed by some smartass teenage boys who were whistling at them.....the gay couple just ignored them and kept walking to the gate.....I also saw a lesbian couple couple kisssing (not in a "get a room" type fashion) in the Jurassic Park section of IOA.

I saw quite a few gay couples in general at Universal Orlando over the week....My boyfriend and I only held hands as we walked along the garden walk from the parks and City Walk to our hotel (Portofino Bay)at night...

No problems with holding hands or locking arms. Most people at Disney don't care or are too distracted to even notice. Never had the issue with the bathrooms either, though many examples of mistaken gender from cast members. "What can I get you sir.. err ma'am" That kind of thing. Mostly from not paying attention.

That reminds me of a cute story. Last trip there, I sat next to this little girl (maybe 4 years old) on the tram. She stared at me for a few minutes then finally got the nerve up and said, "Are you a boy or a girl?" When I told her I was a girl she said, "Oh. Well, do you like my bracelet?" and we had a whole chat about her bracelet and her shirt and her day at Disney. It was too cute.

That made me laugh out loud and brought tears because it is sooooooooooooo sweet. A straight mom saying that little chick is the bomb! Girls like cute/pretty stuff no matter which direction their heart is turned!:hug:

i think we gain more ground by buying a house, moving in, and showing them that we are just the same as them...

We get up, go to work, mow the lawn, grill dinner....

Yep, we are just as boring as you! :lmao:

ita

Yep, O'Mike couldn't agree more. We are the most boring household on our street! LOL.

We spent the weekend at Disney (WDW) and cannot tell you how many male/female couples we saw locked in over the top PDA embraces. What's up with THAT??? What? A little wine and you can't control your mouths, or hands... or other body parts?

Sheesh. GET A ROOM!

Yep, O'Mike couldn't agree more. We are the most boring household on our street! LOL.

We spent the weekend at Disney (WDW) and cannot tell you how many male/female couples we saw locked in over the top PDA embraces. What's up with THAT??? What? A little wine and you can't control your mouths, or hands... or other body parts?

Sheesh. GET A ROOM!

Just for the record, Valerie and I were not at WDW this weekend. :3dglasses

Got to agree though, that over the top PDA's aren't appropriate for couples of any gender combination.

I think we gain more ground by buying a house, moving in, and showing them that we are just the same as them...

Can I disagree (just a little) because we are not the same as them.:goodvibes We throw fabulous parties!

WHAT!!! Gay people grilling dinner? What is the world coming to?:lmao: (Just kidding - I have a warped sense of humor).

Once again, not necessarily the intended audience (a straight married male), but my DW and I wouldn't and haven't had a problem with hand holding or light PDA at WDW regardless of who is doing it.

Several years back we unknowingly scheduled a trip during Gay Days. When she saw same sex couples holding hands our DD (probably 7 or 8 at the time) asked questions which we happily answered. The funny thing was my straight SIL, who was there with us, without realizing what it meant wore a red t-shirt the first day and was shocked at all attention she received. She was really embarrased at first but after a few minutes was playing along with everyone else.

I've never had a problem with it at Disney, or anywhere else. I would be offended with over the top PDA's, gay or staight, but loving affection should not be hidden. I am a lesbian and no one has made me feel uncomfortable for showing affection to my wife while I was at Disney.

I think public displays of affection can be rather charming. It's public displays of lust I can do without.

I have to say this....my 16 year old daughter has a weakness for gay guys and would probably "AWWW!" uncontrolably if she were to witness a PDA at WDW! LOL, I'm sure that would make the couple uncomfortable, too!!
But what can I say, she is a romantic and was raised to be accepting of all. :thumbsup2

As a mom, I do not like to see gross PDA in front of my kids, be it gay or straight. But holding hands, a hug, even a simple kiss would never offend me. I have seen that in the parks many times, and really haven't even thought twice about it, or noticed others around paying attention either. I think it is good for my kids to be exposed to all types of families, not just the ones that look like us. It prepares them for life in the real world.

Ditto everything she said.

I think public displays of affection can be rather charming. It's public displays of lust I can do without.

Very well put!

again not your target audience but, I have to say that the only time I have ever seen an inappropriate PDA at WDW was a couple of years ago and the couple was straight. I am no prude but, WOW those two were really going at it.

As for my kids (DD14 and DS9) seeing gay people hold hands, hug or kiss at disney or anywhere else is no big deal and I don't think they really ever mentioned it. I have always told my kids that you love who you love and it doesn't matter if they are a man, woman, race, religion etc. As long as the two people in love treat each other with respect, kindness and love that's all that matters.

OP don't worry about what others may think, go and enjoy your trip with the one you love!

That reminds me of a cute story. Last trip there, I sat next to this little girl (maybe 4 years old) on the tram. She stared at me for a few minutes then finally got the nerve up and said, "Are you a boy or a girl?" When I told her I was a girl she said, "Oh. Well, do you like my bracelet?" and we had a whole chat about her bracelet and her shirt and her day at Disney. It was too cute.

Once when I worked at a toy store I was dressing a doll for a little girl and her mom. The little girl said "are you a girl or a boy?" Her mom was soooooooo embarrassed and started to say something to the little girl. I said that it was OK and replied "yes I'm a girl." She said "awesome me too! Do you like purple it's my favorite color?"

Just yesterday a little boy asked me "are you a sissy boy?" I said "actually I'm a girl with short hair." He said "oh that's cool I like you you're nice!"

Another time a child with a bowl haircut and baseball uniform walked up to me and yelled for her mom. When the child's mom (who was in a dress and makeup) came over she said "please tell me you're a girl!" I said "yes I'm a girl." The child got a huge smile on their face and said "See mom I told you there were other girls like me with short hair and boy clothes! I can't believe it ! This is soooooo cool! Thanks for answering my question!" I replied with "no problem always be yourself." I could tell her mom was totally pissed at me but oh well!
I love these stories. Adults can really learn from children when it comes to acceptance.

DW & I didn't get any comments or looks (that we noticed) on our last trip to WDW in 2006. I'm sure we held hands & showed affection in public, because we do so at home.

I disapprove of drunkenness, parents screaming at their kids, kids behaving badly, people who are so sunburned that it makes ME hurt, moms changing babies on restaurant tables, and stupidity in general. Public affection??...only if it involves the exchange of bodily fluids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter