Holland America-MS Zaandam cruise still in progress

View attachment 485723View attachment 485724View attachment 485725

Recent text from my cousin to my mom
Who is on the Coral Princess
Sounds like a reasonable approach even if it doesn't happen as quickly as people would like. It's a relief that we (USA) are doing the right thing based on everyone's understanding of the way it worked when they boarded.

But I think there are going to be some changes to how cruise ships are treated going forward. They are not going to be able to skirt US fees, taxes and labor laws and rely on us when they get over their head in the future. I wonder if those poor Caribbean islands will refuse to register ships knowing they would be responsible for dealing with all of the passengers in an emergency... Or if ships would want to be registered somewhere that is incapable of providing support, and if passengers would feel safe boarding anything not under the protection of the USA.

Sounds like a reasonable approach even if it doesn't happen as quickly as people would like. It's a relief that we (USA) are doing the right thing based on everyone's understanding of the way it worked when they boarded.

But I think there are going to be some changes to how cruise ships are treated going forward. They are not going to be able to skirt US fees, taxes and labor laws and rely on us when they get over their head in the future. I wonder if those poor Caribbean islands will refuse to register ships knowing they would be responsible for dealing with all of the passengers in an emergency... Or if ships would want to be registered somewhere that is incapable of providing support, and if passengers would feel safe boarding anything not under the protection of the USA.
So their problem is going to come out of my pocket. (Sorry first thing that popped into my head. )
I also think they will add a fee or tax of some kind. I except it as I did 9/11 costs. TSA doesn’t pay for itself.

If forced to register in the US and pay appropriate taxes and follow labor laws, the industry will shrink a lot.

But. If an industry cannot survive without the equivalent of indentured servitude and tax evasion, it doesn't deserve to exist. And this is true for any industry.

If forced to register in the US and pay appropriate taxes and follow labor laws, the industry will shrink a lot.

But. If an industry cannot survive without the equivalent of indentured servitude and tax evasion, it doesn't deserve to exist. And this is true for any industry.

I am not trying to argue the point, but lots of "USA" products are made overseas to take advantage of similar loopholes. All I am trying to say is that it's a complicated issue that can't be solved with a one-size-fits-all solution.

LAX

If I remember correctly, this cruise was supposed to end in maybe Buenos Aires, before anyone had passed away, but no South American port would take them, which is how it ended up in Florida. Added an extra week or so of cruising.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise lines agreed to a hefty fine/payment to the local/state authorities for them to agree to allow these ships to be disembarked there. Probably something along the lines of agreeing to pay for immediate transport out of state for any non-local, hospitalization and quarantine costs for the rest, and a healthy fine on top of it. It would pretty much be worth anything for the lines to get those people off the ships.

If I remember correctly, this cruise was supposed to end in maybe Buenos Aires, before anyone had passed away, but no South American port would take them, which is how it ended up in Florida. Added an extra week or so of cruising.
I thought that too but it actually was one of those really long cruises which you could join or leave at points along the way, and I believe it both started and ended in Ft Lauderdale, which is why they ended up there. Buenos Aires was the next location where they had people embarking/disembarking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cruise lines agreed to a hefty fine/payment to the local/state authorities for them to agree to allow these ships to be disembarked there. Probably something along the lines of agreeing to pay for immediate transport out of state for any non-local, hospitalization and quarantine costs for the rest, and a healthy fine on top of it. It would pretty much be worth anything for the lines to get those people off the ships.
The news was reporting that they were negotiating and that the cruise line had to pay for all transport of guests - to get the healthy ones home, private ambulance for those who went to the hospital and the cruise line had to call around to hospitals and find one willing to take them. I would guess it was a private and not a public hospital - but basically yes, they had to pay ALL expenses related to getting the guests out of there. For a few days one report or two referenced that the state had said that they could dock IF they would meet all of the requirements, but it was quite a hefty list that I'm sure took a few days to organize.

So their problem is going to come out of my pocket. (Sorry first thing that popped into my head. )
I also think they will add a fee or tax of some kind. I except it as I did 9/11 costs. TSA doesn’t pay for itself.
Not sure how forcing cruise lines to pay taxes here to compensate for support that comes from the USA comes out of your pocket - it may if cruise fares go up but in the interim I would expect that cruise fares would need to come down and not go up to get the industry restarted. it is going to be a while before the majority of people feel comfortable cruising after the cluster this has been for so many people. I'm guessing they are pretty profitable though and profits may end up shrinking if they can't raise fares to cover US taxes. If they are not profitable and can't make the numbers work then they won't come back. My guess is the premium lines will have no issues but the bargain lines may choose to stay registered in poor countries and that will be one more thing differentiating them.

I think the travel insurance industry will see major changes too.

I agree. Traveling on ships and in more remote areas of the world already had inherent health and medical risks. If the rules change after this, it will become even riskier. And your mention in your other post about travel insurance - for sure.

I thought that too but it actually was one of those really long cruises which you could join or leave at points along the way, and I believe it both started and ended in Ft Lauderdale, which is why they ended up there. Buenos Aires was the next location where they had people embarking/disembarking.

The Zaandam was last in Port Everglades in October 2019. Since, she had been doing South American itineraries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!