Holland America-MS Zaandam cruise still in progress

I agree with the incomplete data. My sister lives in Idaho, one of the last states to confirm they have the virus. Now sis is saying that her son had symptoms of the virus in January. They'll probably never know if it was the corona virus or not. unless they test his antibodies.

It's not the amount of data, it's the quality of data. Do you really think South American towns and cities are aggressively testing their citizens? Despite this, I don't know many people that would rather be hospitalized in a foreign country.
However incomplete data is being reported by other countries is no match to the sheer lack of testing in the US. The reason we now have the highest number of cases in the world right here in North America is because we were lazy. We didn't test enough - we didn't test early enough.

Right example of a wrong chart. It says, let's all catch the next flight to China.

I don't believe any of the data at this point -- the information is so incomplete we have no idea what the actual numbers are.

I'd rather be treated for most things in the U.S. than in Peru. That much I know.
True...and since people may have/have had it and didn't know/not tested, the fatality rate is truthfully much lower.
It will be a long time until we have actual numbers. Then all the facts will be hard facts.

I think that if it were here in early January that our hospitals would have already been overwhelmed with an uptick in pneumonia related cases

True...and since people may have/have had it and didn't know/not tested, the fatality rate is truthfully much lower.

There are also deaths attributable to COVID-19 not reported as such.

Runs both ways. It's not just "because we haven't tested people who recovered" but also "people who have died who were never tested may also have had COVID-19." Look at some of the recent deaths of older famous people - we know they had COVID-19 because they were tested. Now, imagine someone like Rabbi Romi Cohn died in late February instead. He was 92. He could have had the virus but since no one was testing, it would have just concluded he died because he was 92 and got sick.

(Rabbi Cohn, for those who don't know him: https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/26/us/new-york-rabbi-romi-cohn-coronavirus/index.html)

Where are you?
Arizona. I have nurse friends in other states that are experiencing low census in their hospitals too. That's good news hopefully that means the lockdowns are working and we won't have a surge like they are having in NYC or New Orleans. We aren't doing elective surgery's and people aren't coming to the hospital for fear of being exposed. It's been the easiest month at work I've had in a long time.
We just destroyed the economy by shutting everything down. Let's keep our fingers crossed it works and it wasn't for nothing. I was skeptical if it was the right move, but I'm starting to feel more optimistic that this will be behind us in a few months. I'm not sure how long it will take for the economy to recover.....most likely years.

Arizona. I have nurse friends in other states that are experiencing low census in their hospitals too. That's good news hopefully that means the lockdowns are working and we won't have a surge like they are having in NYC or New Orleans. We aren't doing elective surgery's and people aren't coming to the hospital for fear of being exposed. It's been the easiest month at work I've had in a long time.
We just destroyed the economy by shutting everything down. Let's keep our fingers crossed it works and it wasn't for nothing. I was skeptical if it was the right move, but I'm starting to feel more optimistic that this will be behind us in a few months. I'm not sure how long it will take for the economy to recover.....most likely years.

Im guessing you live in a small population area. For the metro areas, there may be empty beds and low census counts for certain floors where elective procedures take place. But at the same time the nurses, mid-levels, and doctors are receiving warnings that they could be called to the Covid floors at any time. And the ICU beds are very close to peak already.

Im guessing you live in a small population area. For the metro areas, there may be empty beds and low census counts for certain floors where elective procedures take place. But at the same time the nurses, mid-levels, and doctors are receiving warnings that they could be called to the Covid floors at any time. And the ICU beds are very close to peak already.
Were the 5th largest city in the US. I work at several hospitals in the metro area. I have a pretty good idea of what's going on. I have a network of travel friends in different states. I'm just giving you a report on what I'm seeing with my own eyes. I know exactly how hospitals are handling COVID patients because I actually live it. I knew as soon as typed that someone was going to tell me I didn't know what I was talking about. Very typical of these boards and god forbid if you're actually optimistic.

To the original post: anyone know the latest on the ship?
Is Port Everglades the end?
I had hoped they’d get it to a military site, not SE fla which already is a hotspot and appears it would be a great burden, especially without Heath support to immediately test people leaving the ship.

I am sad for all aboard, but feel Xtra bad for Americans ...who want to believe that the USA would help them.

Prayers for All, especially those working the front lines!

They made it through the canal and are on their way to Florida. Neither the governor nor the Broward county commissioners want it to dock. They are to vote on it Thursday

Just curious how the decision was made for the Grand Princess to end up docking at Oakland? Was it out of kindness of the local Oakland authority? I feel really bad for those poor passengers onboard.

LAX

Just curious how the decision was made for the Grand Princess to end up docking at Oakland? Was it out of kindness of the local Oakland authority? I feel really bad for those poor passengers onboard.

LAX
I think it was. San Diego let a few ships dock as well as a "humanitarian" thing.

And now the Coral Princess which has people with flu like symptoms is headed this way but the Coast Guard wants them to go to the Bahamas for aid since that is where the ship is registered

I got a cousin on a 30 day cruise now.left from Chile March 6 April 6 will be in Port Lauderdale April 6. They get a free cruise to use within 2 years. Princess Cruise line. Having a Great time missing ports I imagine having talked to her my mom has but they are not confined to cabins or anything.

UPDATE

Some people came down with a fever now they all have to be quarantined in their cabins. I will keep you inform if I hear anymore.

Last edited:
And now the Coral Princess which has people with flu like symptoms is headed this way but the Coast Guard wants them to go to the Bahamas for aid since that is where the ship is registered

must be the cruise my cousin is on. Never heard the name of the ship my mom just said princess cruise line. Thanks

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!