Homesick for Disney

JessL

Mouseketeer
I can tell that I'm coming up to a year since my last Disneyland visit because I've started watching people's YouTube videos of Main Street and trying to work out how cheaply I can do a long weekend in Hong Kong which I figure is probably the cheapest option (I'm down to $3000 for 4 nights for myself and my 2 teenage boys). The reality is that my next visit to any of the parks won't be at least until 2019. We're going to France next year, but I don't think I can wrangle in a Disneyland Paris visit.

What does everyone else do when they're feeling homesick for Disney? And anyone want to send me $3000 for a quick fix in HK?

Been there, done that! :) I've just returned from a 3 week trip to do all the Disney Asia parks and I'm working out a plan to go back to see Tokyo again (also because I feel I haven't seen everything yet). I spend my days with looking at all the pictures & videos I made, looking into what hotels costs, crowd calendars. Calculating how expensive those vacation packages are in Tokyo.
Luckily I have Disneyland Paris close by and an upcoming trip this weekend, but as I am so familiar with that park I have the feeling it doesn't really count as a real Disney trip.

I don't have $3,000 for you, but do you have frequent flyer points or other loyalty programs you can use? Maybe check the budget board for WDW, maybe there are some money saving tips you can use. Maybe shop at cheaper stores, cut back on take out meals/coffee etc.
Also I found Shanghai as a city very affordable, more affordable than Hong Kong.

Good luck!

I'd love to go to Shanghai and Tokyo, but since I haven't actually been to either city I'd feel the need to sightsee while I was there. At least in Hong Kong I've been a couple of times so I could do a purely Disney trip.

Hong Kong was actually my first Disney experience in 2011. We were going to HK for a conference and decided to take our boys so we could take them to Disneyland. I'd never really had any particular yearning to go, except maybe as a young child, but figured that this was going to be a cheap trip with most expenses covered so we may as well. We loved it so much that we cancelled our planned holiday for the next year and went to California. Then Paris two years later. Then back to California again two years after that. And lots of reading and talking and watching in between. I think it's safe to say I'm hooked. Fortunately my boys haven't grown out of it yet - my 15 year old is almost as obsessed as me! My husband would be happy if he never saw another DL again, but that's ok - makes it cheaper for 3 of us!

I have not been to the parks since 2014 :( I did go to Aulani in 2016 and as beautiful as it was it just wasn't as good as the park feeling) and our last two Disney trips were at this time, so every day on my facebook memory it shows pics of those trips, its nice to reflect back but sad because I really want to be there again. DH and I even watched some of the home movies on the weekend. We are going back to Hawaii next year and cruising back through Tahiti and bora bora which have been on my bucket list, but part of me wishes I was just going back to my happy place at Disney world. Because of the huge expense - family of 6 and DH hates the travel time, I am holding off going back to DW until some of the new worlds open up. In the mean time, I drool over other ppls trips and reflect on my own. I must admit I have been thinking of trying to squeeze in a trip to Hong Kong and get Disney that way. but I keep thinking that money could be put against a bigger longer holiday.

And I jump on here and read through ppls TRs. Not many ppl really understand that longing for Disney if they are not a Disney fan, or if they have not been there. I try and explain to family and friends the feeling at DW, staying on property and that Disney feeling. but they don't get it. I am glad I have here where ppl do get it and don't think I am crazy.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. We came back from a WDW & Disney Cruise in Jan/Feb 2017 and myself and the family haven't stopped talking about the trip and wanting to go back. We were their for 10 (WDW) days & 7 day West Caribbean Cruise on Disney and it just wasn't enough. I now find myself researching our next trip from flights/hotels/restaurants/using DVC or off site hotel so we can stay longer and even dream of doing two cruise. Planning is half the fun. Can't really afford it, but the bank will love me if we go.

You are in the right place to find understanding people:)

People who haven't been just can't understand the draw and the need to keep going back. We had both of our WDW trips in Oct/Nov/Dec and I have also had the bittersweet pain of constant Facebook memories popping up.

The only thing which makes it easier for me is planning another trip, even if it's more of an imaginary one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!