Honeymoon in Disneyland

Spook50

The Fourth "Little" Pig
A year from March I'll be getting married, and since my fiance is a big Disney freak who's never been to any Disney park, I plan to take her to Disneyland for our honeymoon the following September (2007). I've been there 5 times with my family, and absolutely love it, and I know she'll be thrilled with the trip. I plan to have about 6 grand set aside, and go first class all the way for ten nights, though I'm still not quite sure on whether to stay at the DL Hotel, which is where I've always stayed, or to try for the Grand Californian, which I hear is much nicer, but quite a bit more spendy. The plan is ten nights, and I figured September would be best, since it's still warm, kids are back in school, and hopefully none of the attractions will be closed for maintenence yet.

Who else has had a honeymoon in Disneyland that can offe some advice on planning or any advice in general for the trip. I'll be picking up Birnbaum's 2006 book as soon as it's out, as well...

DH and I love the GCH! It's wonderful and if you can spring for it than by all means do so. Otherwise the DLH isn't a bad choice. You can have special things brought to your room for your bride to be as suprises throughout the stay.

You mentioned Septemeber becuase the rides won't be down, I'd think about what rides are the most important to you as HM may be down for it's holiday overlay which opens in October.

A few nice things to do are 1. Dinner at the Napa Rose, spendy but very nice.
2. a meal at the Blue Bayou a it has a nice atmosphere. 3. If available try for the Fantasmic balcony seating.

we honeymooned in DL this past September we didn't stay at the DLH or and of the other DL resorts, we are saviving for our house, We really enjoyed our selves, we stayed at the Holiday in & Suites about 4miles from Disney but we caught ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) bus everyday

There were a few closures while we there Haunted house ( My absolute Fav) was closed for decorating for the holidays to come

We are hoping to go back in October 2006 and sta a bit closer to disneyland. Hopefully all our plans/dreams come true!!

RangerPooh said:
DH and I love the GCH! It's wonderful and if you can spring for it than by all means do so. Otherwise the DLH isn't a bad choice. You can have special things brought to your room for your bride to be as suprises throughout the stay.

You mentioned Septemeber becuase the rides won't be down, I'd think about what rides are the most important to you as HM may be down for it's holiday overlay which opens in October.

A few nice things to do are 1. Dinner at the Napa Rose, spendy but very nice.
2. a meal at the Blue Bayou a it has a nice atmosphere. 3. If available try for the Fantasmic balcony seating.

Good call on the HM possibly being closed, I had forgotten about the holiday refurb. Hopefully we can time things right, since that's my favorite attraction, and she's excited to see it. The Blue Bayou and Fantasmic seating are definate musts while we're there. You definately can't beat the BB for atmosphere, especially when it's warm outside.

Where's the Napa Rose at? I've never heard of it. I've been hoping to find a real nice restaurant to take her to while we're there, so that we've got an excuse for her to wear her evening gown and me to wear my dress uniform (and hey, anything that's a good surprise for her is definately a plus).

I just wish I could get us into Club 33, but I don't see that happening, given the membership prices :scared1:

Spook50 said:
Where's the Napa Rose at? I've never heard of it. I've been hoping to find a real nice restaurant to take her to while we're there, so that we've got an excuse for her to wear her evening gown and me to wear my dress uniform (and hey, anything that's a good surprise for her is definately a plus).
Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian--it's a beautiful restaurant with wonderful food. Definitely eat there and make sure to tell them you're honeymooning.

I'd stay at the Grand Californian without question. It's absolutely gorgeous, and you should be able to afford ten nights there on your budget--particularly in September on the off-season. When you make the reservation, stress that it's your honeymoon--they may make special arrangements for you, or have a particular room/suite that would suit you.

Now I'm going to meddle a bit, so hope you don't mind! Since you've got 10 days, why don't you spend 5-6 in DL and maybe go to San Diego or Santa Barbara for the other 4-5? You really don't NEED that long at DL and you might want to spend some time at the beach. You could even look into Newport Beach, which is pretty close to Anaheim, and find a resort to stay in there for a few days. Just a suggestion from an old married lady...:flower3:

You sound like a wonderful, thoughtful guy. Your future wife is very lucky!

ter-moo said:
Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian--it's a beautiful restaurant with wonderful food. Definitely eat there and make sure to tell them you're honeymooning.

I'd stay at the Grand Californian without question. It's absolutely gorgeous, and you should be able to afford ten nights there on your budget--particularly in September on the off-season. When you make the reservation, stress that it's your honeymoon--they may make special arrangements for you, or have a particular room/suite that would suit you.

Now I'm going to meddle a bit, so hope you don't mind! Since you've got 10 days, why don't you spend 5-6 in DL and maybe go to San Diego or Santa Barbara for the other 4-5? You really don't NEED that long at DL and you might want to spend some time at the beach. You could even look into Newport Beach, which is pretty close to Anaheim, and find a resort to stay in there for a few days. Just a suggestion from an old married lady...:flower3:

You sound like a wonderful, thoughtful guy. Your future wife is very lucky!

We've actually talked a bit about going to see the Queen Mary or Catalina Island, or a couple other theme parks in the area one day while we're there, but we haven't really settled on anything along those lines yet. I wouldn't mind seeing Catalina again, and I know she'd enjoy it.

Napa Rose is definately on the itinerary for the trip, now that I've read a bit about it.

What does the GCH offer as opposed to the DLH for honeymoon packages or perks?

Spook50 said:
What does the GCH offer as opposed to the DLH for honeymoon packages or perks?
I don't know since I've never honeymooned there, just anniversaried! But for our anniversary, we got a card signed by a "Disney" couple (can't remember right off hand who) and some chocolates. We didn't get a special room of any sort, just a standard view, but it was lovely.

You should call Disney Travel and see what's available and for how much. They could give you info on both hotels.

Well the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking we will stay at the GCH. I looked at AAA's site, and a ten night stay in a room with a view of the park, with an 8 day Parkhopper pass came to just under 4 grand. Pricey, but still do-able. That just leaves airfare (glad I used my Alaska Airlines card to buy the engagement ring!), food and any souvineers we might get while we're there. Looks like we'll be right at our 6K budget if we go that route. Quite a bit of saving up to do with my pay rate, but we've got plenty of time to get everything together.

Listening to my Soarin' Over California CD is getting me all stoked to go again.

Spook50 said:
Well the more I look at it, the more I'm thinking we will stay at the GCH. I looked at AAA's site, and a ten night stay in a room with a view of the park, with an 8 day Parkhopper pass came to just under 4 grand. Pricey, but still do-able. That just leaves airfare (glad I used my Alaska Airlines card to buy the engagement ring!), food and any souvineers we might get while we're there. Looks like we'll be right at our 6K budget if we go that route. Quite a bit of saving up to do with my pay rate, but we've got plenty of time to get everything together.

Listening to my Soarin' Over California CD is getting me all stoked to go again.
I would definitely try calling Disney reservations to get their quote on the hotel portion. I think you can do better. Keep at them, asking for any available discounts, deals, codes, etc. They probably have a special military discount, too, if you ask!

Then buy your tickets separately--either on the Disney website, or on ARESTravel.com (they sometimes have a better price). I've found that you can do things separately yourself for FAR less than AAA or Disney can package it for you.

You might be able to get a better rate at the Grand Californian if you purchase Annual Passports and use the AP rate. They should have AP rates available in September and you would also save 10% + on restaurants and shopping.

Good suggestions on the annual passports and buying everything seperately. What are the passports running, compared to an 8 day pass?

Since I'm both military and a AAA member, would Disney honor both the military and the AAA discounts, or just one of the two? I've heard that the military discount varies a great deal with Disney's hotel prices and park admission fees. Does it do the same with AAA discounts, or do those stay pretty consistent?

Spook50 said:
Good suggestions on the annual passports and buying everything seperately. What are the passports running, compared to an 8 day pass?

Since I'm both military and a AAA member, would Disney honor both the military and the AAA discounts, or just one of the two? I've heard that the military discount varies a great deal with Disney's hotel prices and park admission fees. Does it do the same with AAA discounts, or do those stay pretty consistent?
I think you'll come out pretty close on the cost of APs to 8-day passes. Check www.disneyland.com for the prices. Make sure you check black-out days on the different types of APs, too.

As far as the different discounts go, just call Disney travel and ask them. They'll be able to tell you which discount is better. I don't think you'll be able to apply two different ones (like military and AAA for instance). Also, be sure to ask them about AP rates so that you can run the numbers and see if it's worth your while to buy them.

Your military base might also sell park admission tickets at a rate cheaper than the parks. However, these often only come in 3 or 5 day hopper passes. But it might be worth checking for a cost comparison.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter