Hoop Dee Doo closing???

I've said this before on the camping boards. I don't think they ever build another campground, despite massive demand, because there is no way a campground generates similar revenue per guest as the resorts, but I don't think they get rid of The Fort since it is basically a sunk infrastructure cost and is always jammed, regardless of being one of the most expensive campgrounds in the U.S.

That being said, there are such simple ways they could increase revenue from the campground it always blows my mind they don't. For one thing, limit the length of stays. When people come and stay for a month, you get low revenue annual pass folks, or people who stay in the campground more than go to the resorts. If they limited it to 10 days per month, 30 days in a year, revenue per guest would go up as you got more park goers and fewer long time stays. Cut it down to 5 people per site, and charge $20 per person over 5 per night extra. That would also help with the phantom booking problem. Tie stays to tickets. If you don't have a park ticket for every 2 or 3 days you stay at The Fort, you can't stay for more than 3 days. Tie holiday weekends and special events to tickets. You want to stay at Halloween? You need to have a park ticket for every day you stay.

If they did simple things like this, that campground would generate significantly more revenue. It would still lag, since campers tend to bring their own food, but it would be worth so much more money. And if it makes more money, they are less likely to do something stupid like bulldoze it.

While I think the campground makes money compared to it's operating costs I think they could make LOTS more and bring in more campers who continued to add to the cash registers. Your ideas are spot on.

They really need to bring back Express Transportation, that was easily one of the best ideas Disney has ever had, they were glorious.

They did, it's called a Minnie Van and they make LOTS more money.

I could easily see an argument that the campground is very much an example of a less productive asset. They run hotels at 90% capacity most of the time. They've been knocking down other resorts to build up towers to increase room availability. What's stopping them from taking over what's basically a big parking lot. A few towers in place of the campground could very much be more profitable, especially as something like a true high end resort since they really don't have one.

I have stayed in campground, I won't go back because I left camping in my past, just not for me. But MANY MANY people love it, it's a low maintenance resort for Disney, and it can be hard to book. Not sure why you think it is a less productive asset? Because the gross amount of money they take in? Maybe, but they spend a lots less money to maintain and operate it. Campers are pretty self-sufficient. Add to that paving over that land means they have to find a way to protect a bunch more land elsewhere, the state won't allow that kind of huge impact to water.

As far as high end resort, Disney has made it perfectly clear they'd rather folks like Four Seasons offer that. Disney would have to substantially up their service and offerings while cutting prices to compete. They are not in it for that kind of commitment. They are shooting for those once or twice visit families who will drope thousands and thousands of dollars on everything even if it's not worth it. Get them in, get them out .... next!

I know, but is there any rumor about what would be replacing it? The PP said it's good that Disney replaces things, but do we even know if that's what's being proposed here?

Nada shared that I saw, just throw something out there that get folks worked up and clicking .... haven't seen it posted anywhere else ... yet.

Maybe @TheRustyScupper has heard some rumblings? :listen:

First, my beloved Artist Point is rumored to become a character meal and now my beloved HDDR is rumored to be closing.

If both rumors end up being true, so much for my two favorite dinner experiences in the WL/Ft. Wilderness area.

Another sad example of Disney putting profits ahead of guest experience.

They did, it's called a Minnie Van and they make LOTS more money.

Except its missing the Express's main and best feature of in park to in park travel.

I have stayed in campground, I won't go back because I left camping in my past, just not for me. But MANY MANY people love it, it's a low maintenance resort for Disney, and it can be hard to book. Not sure why you think it is a less productive asset? Because the gross amount of money they take in? Maybe, but they spend a lots less money to maintain and operate it. Campers are pretty self-sufficient. Add to that paving over that land means they have to find a way to protect a bunch more land elsewhere, the state won't allow that kind of huge impact to water.

As far as high end resort, Disney has made it perfectly clear they'd rather folks like Four Seasons offer that. Disney would have to substantially up their service and offerings while cutting prices to compete. They are not in it for that kind of commitment. They are shooting for those once or twice visit families who will drope thousands and thousands of dollars on everything even if it's not worth it. Get them in, get them out .... next

I won't argue that the campground should stay. I love that it's there, even though I don't go to it very often, and Disney offering unique options is one of the greatest draws that they have. But it's still a large piece of land that could have more people on it with a hotel in its place. Even if it wasn't a high end hotel they could certainly squeeze more money if they brought the property vertical. I believe the Fort has the equivalent of about 1200 rooms, which would be smaller than the Dolphin, and with the land in that area they could build multiple hotels of that size. Again though, it is not something that I want, just something I wouldn't be surprised to see happen.

So maybe I panicked when I saw this, but I was able to book one in November. I took my Wife and 2 Boys the first time we went to Disney since it was a family must do growing up. The kids had a good time, but we have not been back since it's difficult to get to. As a kid we would camp at the Fort and do the HDDR each time we went. I would definitely be unhappy if they get rid of it.

Question for the group, does the Minnie Van drop at the bus loop near HDDR or at the entrance to the Fort? We will be at Epcot that day and we're staying at the Yacht club. Thanks

Is the campground hard to book because it is actually full or is it hard to book because of "throwaway rooms"?

Everything over there has seen gross to me since childhood, so I'm good. Make something different and amazing, WDW!

Although a little off topic, for folks who aren't familiar with camping or RV'ing ... it's more of a lifestyle than just hitting WDW the cheapest way possible. Look up the costs on a Prevost RV, as there are people camping at The Fort with $1 million + rigs along with tricked out custom golf carts that cost as much as a small car. I could and have stayed at the deluxe resorts but we love bringing our RV down where's it's our home on wheels, don't have to worry about cleaning issues and pack the fridge with craft brews. FtW is one of the nicest campground in the world, and the camping/RV community is very family like ... I'm usually chatting with many of our surrounding site mates within a day so and most everyone is very friendly with folks looping around on their carts. You have a lot of guests who stay at the Fort and never even hit the parks. As mentioned the Fort goers are a small but vocal group.

It's not just having a campground on property that makes The Fort unique, but how well maintained it is that brings in the high dollar Rv'ers with set-ups worth well beyond most people's houses ... I can't speak for the cabins, but for camping it really is a beautiful property and an amazing experience.

Is the campground hard to book because it is actually full or is it hard to book because of "throwaway rooms"?

The number of throwaway rooms is annoying, but it's not what makes The Fort hard to book. There is massive demand. The throwaway rooms simple make it even harder to book.

So maybe I panicked when I saw this, but I was able to book one in November. I took my Wife and 2 Boys the first time we went to Disney since it was a family must do growing up. The kids had a good time, but we have not been back since it's difficult to get to. As a kid we would camp at the Fort and do the HDDR each time we went. I would definitely be unhappy if they get rid of it.

Question for the group, does the Minnie Van drop at the bus loop near HDDR or at the entrance to the Fort? We will be at Epcot that day and we're staying at the Yacht club. Thanks

Drops right at Pioneer Hall / HDDR. Was a big plus when announced as getting to/from that meal is a drag.

Remember ............. no one that I have seen has reported this except for TheDis. The fact that no one is jumping on the news makes me lean to it's not true. The SHOW CMs have even been asked and reported it's not true. So we just wait and see if ADRs get stopped or any other news ... but for now I'd say keep booking.

Remember ............. no one that I have seen has reported this except for TheDis. The fact that no one is jumping on the news makes me lean to it's not true. The SHOW CMs have even been asked and reported it's not true. So we just wait and see if ADRs get stopped or any other news ... but for now I'd say keep booking.

I smell a kernel of truth that got blown up. If I had to guess, I'd guess they will close, but for either a refurbishment of the theatre, or in the distant future, to move to the new resort. I'm not saying either of those are going to happen, but there may be banter in the boardroom somewhere.

I smell a kernel of truth that got blown up. If I had to guess, I'd guess they will close, but for either a refurbishment of the theatre, or in the distant future, to move to the new resort. I'm not saying either of those are going to happen, but there may be banter in the boardroom somewhere.
A refurb where they add bathrooms inside the restaurant so you don't have to go trudging out so far and miss so much when your kids need to go wouldn't be a bad idea. For a pretty expensive dinner, it's really annoying when you have kids that need to go NOW.

A refurb where they add bathrooms inside the restaurant so you don't have to go trudging out so far and miss so much when your kids need to go wouldn't be a bad idea. For a pretty expensive dinner, it's really annoying when you have kids that need to go NOW.

That's what I'm thinking may happen, or something similar, especially before the 50th.

Yep, pretty sure those bathrooms are the only ones for the entire complex ... HDDR, Trail's End, Crocket's etc . Can't remember how many times I get to wave to the CMs working the podium outside as you have to exit Trail's End to use the restroom. Definitely could use a design refurb

Well they are filling the ones they have at least most of them. Occupancy rates are around 90% overall which is very good.

Maybe. But only because they're running non stop promos. And I still find that hard to believe given the number of PINS etc...they're handing out.

That's what I'm thinking may happen, or something similar, especially before the 50th.

And that makes sense but .............. that is not what is being put out there ........... o_O

TheDIS: If you are a fan of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue inside Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness, you might want to head over for some strawberry shortcake soon. We are hearing from reliable sources that Walt Disney World is getting ready to close the long-running show as part of an expansion that’s happening in the area.

Honestly, it's fine for posters to ramble and guess at stuff, but ... I think when posted by a site maybe there should be something more to the story ... and I imagine that is why no one else is talking about it other than to say DIS says.

The excuse that it's part of an expansion in the area ... but the some original plans leaked earlier this year show Pioneer Hall still standing. Other smaller things will likely relocate; looks like animals, horses and maybe Mickey Backyard BBQ. Of course not saying these are the current plans BUT the land area marked here matches the current plans for land prep work.

b_500_350_16777215_10_images_stories_OthResort_WildWay_20140109d.png

Here is the old plan overlayed on the current permit plat. Matches.

b_600_450_16777215_10_images_stories_OthResort_FtW_Permit_201803a.jpg

READ THIS :
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...80-ft-wilderness-dvc-plans-leaked#prettyPhoto

Last edited:
And that makes sense but .............. that is not what is being put out there ........... o_O

TheDIS: If you are a fan of the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue inside Pioneer Hall at Fort Wilderness, you might want to head over for some strawberry shortcake soon. We are hearing from reliable sources that Walt Disney World is getting ready to close the long-running show as part of an expansion that’s happening in the area.

Honestly, it's fine for posters to ramble and guess at stuff, but ... I think when posted by a site maybe there should be something more to the story ... and I imagine that is why no one else is talking about it.

The excuse that it's part of an expansion in the area ... but the some original plans leaked earlier this year show Pioneer Hall still standing. Other smaller things will likely relocate; looks like animals, horses and maybe Mickey Backyard BBQ. Of course not saying these are the current plans BUT the land area marked here matches the current plans for land prep work.

b_500_350_16777215_10_images_stories_OthResort_WildWay_20140109d.png

Here is the old plan overlayed on the current permit plat. Matches.

b_600_450_16777215_10_images_stories_OthResort_FtW_Permit_201803a.jpg

READ THIS :
https://dvcnews.com/index.php/resor...80-ft-wilderness-dvc-plans-leaked#prettyPhoto

I hadn't seen the overlay photo with the satellite image...that's pretty convincing. And that DVC article is very interesting.

I do think Pioneer Hall will get an overhaul with the building of the resort (or with the 50th), but I really don't believe they'll just close HDDR up for good.

I hadn't seen the overlay photo with the satellite image...that's pretty convincing. And that DVC article is very interesting.

I do think Pioneer Hall will get an overhaul with the building of the resort (or with the 50th), but I really don't believe they'll just close HDDR up for good.

I imagine all FW amenities will get a refresh and/or upgrades because the DVC folks would likely to be using them more than say the WL folks do. I can see many who love the campground and have towed their homes away from home buy in to the DVC. We have family that loved the campground and pulled their massive RV but it got costly and they are getting older. I totally see folks like them buy in.

I imagine all FW amenities will get a refresh and/or upgrades because the DVC folks would likely to be using them more than say the WL folks do. I can see many who love the campground and have towed their homes away from home buy in to the DVC. We have family that loved the campground and pulled their massive RV but it got costly and they are getting older. I totally see folks like them buy in.

If the preliminary plans that were leaked are similar to what gets built, I'd probably consider buying in. I love WL and the Ft. Wilderness area. By the time they get this built my student loans should be paid off and my child will be out of daycare and into school. So if I'm still interested in DVC and it doesn't completely break the bank, I might consider buying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!