Hoosier's Going To Alaska..Wonder 6/2/2014 PTR

Yup sooo excited! I can't wait to see your pics when you back. Btw, are you guys Boiler fans :confused3 I may have to unfollow you if you aren't :lmao:

Ha! My husband is actually a boiler fan...me...don't care too much. :rolleyes1

I had not luck in getting the DVC resort...so now in the process of watching Hotwire and Priceline. I did get the Pan Pacific for 1st night post cruise. It prob wasn't the cheapest I could get if I waited but oh well.:confused3

Only 104 days left till we leave :yay::yay::yay:

Ha! My husband is actually a boiler fan...me...don't care too much. :rolleyes1 I had not luck in getting the DVC resort...so now in the process of watching Hotwire and Priceline. I did get the Pan Pacific for 1st night post cruise. It prob wasn't the cheapest I could get if I waited but oh well.:confused3 Only 104 days left till we leave :yay::yay::yay:

Ok I can still follow ;)

I watched the Pan's website as well as expedia and found that the prices range incredibly! I got the great rate before our cruise direct from the Pan then their rate was ridiculous after it so I started checking around. Expedia had the same price I paid before the cruise which I'm not kidding was $150ish less than what the Pan wanted for the same night...sold. Yeh they were both pre-pay fares but I know we are going so it's one less thing I have to pay for this summer :)

I'll be on the September 1st cruise so I'll look forward to following along with you. It's my soon to be 3 year old and I going and we're flying into Seattle and taking the train into Vancouver the day before the cruise. If he was older I might think about renting a car but I don't really want to lug the car seat with me the whole trip.

Enjoy your planning the trip will be here before you know it.

Well….only 80 more days until we leave!:cool1::cool1::yay::yay:

I have been busy planning, planning, planning!! And our onboard booking window opened, so did a bit more planning.

So here is what I got so far!

May 31st – Fly into Seattle. Gonna start planning our 1 ½ days there this month. Any suggestions for a family of four (a teenager and 5 year old)? Staying at The Maxwell Hotel (got a decent price on Hotwire).

June 1st – Spend the morning seeing Seattle. Pick up rental car at 3p and pick up mom at Seattle airport around 4. Head to Vancouver. Stay the night at Sandman Signature by Vancouver Airport (got a good AAA rate for their suite).

June 2nd- Embark DCL! WOOT WOOT! :cheer2:

June 3rd- Day at Sea – Palo Brunch

June 4th – Day at Sea/Glaciers

June 5th – Skagway – DH and DS (17) doing Grizzly Falls Ziplining, Me, DM, DS (5) doing Takshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4. Palp Dinner (our 10 yr wedding anniversary is this day). Booked this through DCL.

June 6th – Juneau – Whale watching with Orca Enterprises & visiting Tracy’s King Crab Shack. Booked this on our own.

June 7th – Ketchikan – Bering Sea Crab Fishermen’s Tour (DM isn’t doing this). Booked this on our own.

June 8th – Day at Sea

June 9th – Disembark…..soooooo sad :sad1: Spend day exploring Vancouver (starting to plan this too). Mom leaves from Vancouver around 1pm. Staying at the Pan Pacific this night (again Hotwire deal). Again looking for any suggestions?!

June 10th – Spend day exploring Vancouver. Booked train back to Seattle (the late trip). Spend night at Radisson Hotel Gateway (Hotwire deal).

June 11th – Leave for home. :sad2:

Well there you have it!

Dawn

Driving up from Seattle on the day of us definitely feasible but leave early!!! It will take about three hours us border time which can be between 10 minutes and three hours. Plan on three hours!! When you get to the port, check your luggage. You cN then either walk over to harbour Center (5 minute walk) and go up the observation tower, explore gastown, again 5 minutes away, or if you have an hour, take the sea us over to lonsdale quay market. I know Vancouver inside and out so feel free to pm me!

Hello Freesia, since you know Yancouver - any advice? We are staying at the PanWaterfront across teh street from the DCL terminal the day before our cruise and will NOT have a car- any places fun to visit in walk, taxi distance? Also do you know if there is a small grocery store in that area? I wanted to buy some bottled water for the room- hate tap.
thanks!
CT15

Hello - quick question - do you happen to know ( or anyone out there!) which nighs are formal-semi formal nights? and which nights they offer the special dinner menu? I heard one night is taste of Alaska, and one is Toy story- which is also heavy on seafood, -we LOVE seafood, so I don't want to miss these.
Any advice- is welcome.. thanks!
CT15

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/201...ey-wonder-7-night-alaskan-cruise-may-27-2013/
Hello - quick question - do you happen to know ( or anyone out there!) which nighs are formal-semi formal nights? and which nights they offer the special dinner menu? I heard one night is taste of Alaska, and one is Toy story- which is also heavy on seafood, -we LOVE seafood, so I don't want to miss these.
Any advice- is welcome.. thanks!
CT15

Navigators to the 7 Night Alaskan cruise last May

Driving up from Seattle on the day of us definitely feasible but leave early!!! It will take about three hours us border time which can be between 10 minutes and three hours. Plan on three hours!! When you get to the port, check your luggage. You cN then either walk over to harbour Center (5 minute walk) and go up the observation tower, explore gastown, again 5 minutes away, or if you have an hour, take the sea us over to lonsdale quay market. I know Vancouver inside and out so feel free to pm me!

We are driving the night before and staying at a hotel by Vancouver Airport. I don't want to risk it...cause I am a nervous nelly :rotfl:

So I worked on my Seattle plan for our 1 ½ day visit. I am an uber planner, so excuse the planning within an inch of its life motto!

We arrive in Seattle around 10:30am, bearing that there are no flight delays. Head to our hotel via the Shuttle Express and check in. If our room is ready, get settled in. Once checked in, take the hotel shuttle to Pike Place Market. Do a self-walking tour. Once done there, hop on the monorail from Westlake Center Station to Seattle Center Station. Do the Space Needle. Next either take hotel shuttle or taxi back to hotel. Eat dinner, sleep. Since our bodies will still be in another time zone.

Next morning, DH will take a taxi to pick up rental car. Check out of hotel. Visit Museum of Flight, and then pick mom up from airport. Head to Vancouver.

Our time is so limited here, I had to be selective. And with our age differences in our DS’s (ages 5 & 17), wanted it to be fun for both.

If anyone has any other suggestions, all are welcome! Any can’t miss food places. We don’t do “fancy” especially with DS5 who only eats chicken nuggets and mac & cheese.

Next up…2 days in Vancouver post cruise!

Hello Everyone! This will be my first ever report (pre-trip, trip, food, etc). Never done one, so bare with me!

We are booked on the June 2nd 2014 Disney Wonder Alaska cruise. It will be me, DH, DS (17), & DS (5). My mother recently decided she would like to go, so just booked last week too.

A little about us...I am the Disney freak of the family. We are DVC members, so try to make a trip to the world at least twice a year. I do all the planning, and I am very OCD about the planning!! This will be our 4th Disney cruise (2nd time on the Wonder) and my moms 2nd Disney cruise. We have never been to Alaska, or anywhere in the Pacific Northwest for that matter!!

We have 223 days until our trip begins and here is what I have planned so far. We recently purchased our flights (when SWA opened up there June flights) to Seattle. We arrive around 10:30am on Saturday. As far as what we are going to do & where we are going to stay in Seattle, haven't decided yet. I have a wish list (food tour, Pike Place, Seattle Needle, Duck Boat, Mt Rainer) but haven't decided yet. As far as where we are staying...again have no clue yet. We do want to rent a car too, so that may play into where we stay since parking downtown costs. So Saturday & Sunday are a work in progress!

Dawn

Hi Neighbor Dawn! Small world (notice.... we are also from Avon!)

We will be boarding the Wonder as you are wiping tears and depart - yes, we're on the trip that leaves 6/9. And - we chose a cabin on level 6 as well (although, a different cabin number, but still an odd coincidence).

This is our second Wonder to Alaska trip. We felt we missed so much the first time because there were more things to do than time allowed.

We are a group of 3 - myself, DH, and DD(10). We avoided the issue you have with the altered school calendar because of snow days. I have always been afraid to book a trip that close to the end of the school year for that very reason. You are braver than I!!

Have a great trip! I enjoyed reading your planning posts. I am also a planner, but don't have as much time this year to plan as extensively as you, and I kind of feel like we're winging it a bit (ha!), but hey - it IS supposed to be a vacation so I'm sure we'll enjoy it no matter.

Pat

Hello Midwest Pat,
So you mentioned that this is your SECOND Wonder Alaska cruise- nice..My husband and I are going in July and it is our first Alaska. What excursions did you do? Did you do teh extra day stay the day before in Vancouver through Disney? We selectd the waterfront- any one stay there? Is it nice?
Also can you tell me what night they do the taste of Alaska? I heard that that dinner is heavy on seafood, and I don't want to miss that!!
Any advice/tidbits of info would be appreciated !

Hi Neighbor Dawn! Small world (notice.... we are also from Avon!)

We will be boarding the Wonder as you are wiping tears and depart - yes, we're on the trip that leaves 6/9. And - we chose a cabin on level 6 as well (although, a different cabin number, but still an odd coincidence).

This is our second Wonder to Alaska trip. We felt we missed so much the first time because there were more things to do than time allowed.

We are a group of 3 - myself, DH, and DD(10). We avoided the issue you have with the altered school calendar because of snow days. I have always been afraid to book a trip that close to the end of the school year for that very reason. You are braver than I!!

Have a great trip! I enjoyed reading your planning posts. I am also a planner, but don't have as much time this year to plan as extensively as you, and I kind of feel like we're winging it a bit (ha!), but hey - it IS supposed to be a vacation so I'm sure we'll enjoy it no matter.

Pat

Very small world! I am stressed about this whole school issue, but what can I do?? My older DS is a junior, so most of his "finals" are just tests at the end of the school year. He is thinking they are going to do them Wed, Thur, Frid before we leave as the Seniors are graduating Friday night (they did not adjust the schedule for the seniors). So we shall see. My other DS is in developmental preschool..so no issues there.

I am a uber planner...I plan within an inch of our lives :hyper: I think that is why my DH loves me...hahaha. I wish I could be laid back on vacation planning, but I am not. I am really not that bad once we get on vacation and don't care if my plans don't work out or change, but I do like to be prepared and not trying to figure out how to get to point A from point B, etc.

I am in the process of planning our two days in Vancouver...I am struggling. I need to get on trip advisor and work it out. Once we disemabark and wave bye to you and your family, we are gonna get my DM off to the airport and go check into the hotel. I think the first day we are gonna do Stanley Park & the aquarium. I wanted to do the hop on hop off trolley but there website says they don't start this service until June 21st :badpc: So not sure what we are gonna do in that case (I sent the company an email to clarify, so we shall see). We can't really do bikes because my little DS has some motor issues and will not last but 10 minutes on a bike before he is over it.:crazy2:

We may try the Fly Over Canada ride too if we have time the first day.

The 2nd day is where I am struggling. So if anyone has any suggestions, please advise away!

Wanna do Grouse Mountain and/or Capilano Suspension Bridge. Don't know if we will have time to do both. We have to be at the Amtrak station before our departure back to Seattle by 5:45pm. So I would imagine wounldn't have time for both. So then I need to figure out which one to do.

Also looking at how to get to/from Stanley Park to our hotel (Pan Pacific).

There you have it.

On a side note, I did rent a lense for our camera for the trip. Excited for my DH to try out his camera lessions ;)

Love reading this. Thanks for posting the link. We have two kids, and our daughter is the same age as your son. Perhaps we can meet up on board to introduce the kids. We also have a son (age 7)

Lisa

I just started following along on your trip report. I am hoping to do an Alaska cruise in a year or two so I am interested to see all of the fun things you have planned!

Love reading this. Thanks for posting the link. We have two kids, and our daughter is the same age as your son. Perhaps we can meet up on board to introduce the kids. We also have a son (age 7)

Lisa

Most def! My DH is a paramedic (use to be a volunteer firefighter YEARS ago...) so our DH's have something a little in common.

Well...the Vancouver part of our journey is planed for the most part.

On embarkation day, we may try to do Fly Over Canada before boarding the Wonder. We have a port arrival time of 11:30-12p and our rental car needs to be dropped off at 10am, so we will have some time in between and the experience is only 30 minutes. Waiting on DM to decide. :rolleyes1

On day of disembarkation, we are gonna check in at Pan Pacific and get DM off to airport via taxi. Then we are gonna use public transportation and head first to Capilano Suspension Bridge then on to Grouse Mountain. We may explore Vancouver downtown via the Hop On Hop Off. I purchased tickets online, so we have a 2nd day free. So may just explore the city a little bit in the evening.

The next day going to use the Hop On Hop Off for Stanley Park & Aquarium.

Will take taxi to Amtrak station and ride the evening train back to Seattle. Hop on taxi to hotel by airport and leave the following day around 3:30.

So there you have it. I am really considering doing a trip report. I just need to make sure I take good notes!! Haven't decided yet.

If you are looking for some coupons for Seattle attractions, check out this website
http://www.seattleattractions.com
The city pass was not cost effective for us only being there 2 days, but they have a coupon for the monorail and 2 dollars of the air museum.

Now....need to get my Fish Extender gifts done! And possible order a specialty cake on the cruise for our 10 year anniversary.

Only 38 days until we leave!! Got our luggage tags in the mail the other day. SO excited!!

Dawn

Well...2 weeks from today we will be on our way to Seattle. I am getting so excited.

Fished fish extender gifts. My husband is gonna have fun carrying that bag through airport security...hahahahaha

Next thing to tackle is packing and printing off magnets for stateroom doors. Working on magnets today. May start some packing tonight or tomorrow. It looks like the weather will be in the 50's - 60's...keeping a close eye on the forecast.

Getting sooooo excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter