Horseback Riding Questions

Grumpy by Birth

Happy by choice
We're planning to book horseback riding at Fort Wilderness on our upcoming visit. I have a couple of questions about the restrictions and cancellation policy.

One member of our party uses a cane but can walk without it (just not long distance/duration). Without the cane, she will probably have a visible limp. Will they turn her away because of this?

She had a hip replacement years ago. The website mentions that individuals with hip injury/problems shouldn't participate. Will she be turned away due to having a hip replacement? Would they ask about that (especially if they notice a limp)?

I understand that there is a 1-day cancellation policy. If someone is turned away, do you get a refund or is that considered a cancellation outside the window?

Also, what if someone doesn't pass the weight screening (over 250 pounds)? Are they very strict about the limit or do they have any wiggle room if someone is just slightly over? If someone is turned away for being over the weight limit, do they forfeit the cost because they didn't cancel a day prior?

Lastly, if one of our party knows they are over the weight limit, can we cancel a day prior for just that one person and keep the reservation for everyone else? Would that have to be done over the phone?

TIA!

My husband had hip surgery a number of years ago. His surgeon gave him a variety of activity restrictions for over a two-year period After that, he was good to go with any activity (okay, maybe not sumo wrestling). If you are concerned about being turned away, I would call the riding barn and ask.

As for the weight restriction policy- if I was right on the border of the 250-pound mark, I would (please, this is just my two cents, I am NOT trying to offend anyone) either watch my weight and stay a pound or two under the limit, or not schedule a ride. I don't see a need to put a CM on the spot with a weight issue.

They do make everyone sign a waiver before riding; there is health info on there but I don't recall exactly what it is....

They are very strict about the weight limits and they weigh each person before riding (so weight of clothes/close-toed shoes are also factored in)- if you have a few days when you are on site before your visit you could always go over there and see if they will weigh the person at that time in the clothes they are planning on wearing for the ride and see if their weight is close/over.

As far as canceling for just one person- they would probably allow you to do that over the phone; if you choose to do it online you would just cancel the entire reservation and the total would be refunded (but you should be able to rebook it for the remaining other people if there is still space [which there should be at least for the spots you just canceled if you rebook immediately], just bear in mind you will probably have to wait a few days for the refunded funds to go back on your card).

Thanks!

She is definitely going to work at getting under the limit and totally understands if she can't do this. Not trying to get around the rules.

The hip replacement was quite a few years ago and I don't think she has any remaining activity restrictions, so that shouldn't be a show stopper.

I'll probably book for all of us since she's optimistic/hopeful about getting under the weight limit in time and would like to go if she can, but she's prepared to opt out and spend time at the Copper Creek/Wilderness Lodge pool (where we're staying) while the rest of us do the trail ride if she doesn't make her goal by then.

I'm confident she'll get back under that weight, just not sure if it will be by Labor Day. If not, she and I can look forward to doing the trail ride on a future visit.

related question - can a child (over 9) do the horseback riding on their own? It says kids need to be accompanied by adult - but is that just to the barn and to/from excursion or it also needs to be another paying guest? I will be with two kids - 10y and 6y0. I would stay with the 6yo and let the 10yo do it on her own. Otherwise, all of us can't go because of the 6yo.

related question - can a child (over 9) do the horseback riding on their own? It says kids need to be accompanied by adult - but is that just to the barn and to/from excursion or it also needs to be another paying guest? I will be with two kids - 10y and 6y0. I would stay with the 6yo and let the 10yo do it on her own. Otherwise, all of us can't go because of the 6yo.
That's a good question, I just checked the Disney horseback riding page and they are not clear, just that riders must be over 9 yo. I would call 407-WDW-PLAY to ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter