• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Are The People You Meet At College Different From High School Friends?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
My DS who is a senior in HS hasn't really been that sociable during high school (I don't even think he's going to his Senior Prom). He has a handful of friends, but they only get together once every 3 months, everyones so busy all the time with EC's, or working.
Did you meet a Best Friend in College? Girlfriend or Boyfriend?
Do you have a lot of friends or just a few?

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but all my closest friends are the ones I made before I got to university. I've met a lot of great people here, who are a lot of fun, but if I've got problems, or need a shoulder to cry on, I'll always turn to my friends in London.

It's a pity, I always thought I'd meet my friends for life here, and there's a tradition in my family that everyone always meets their future husband in the first week of college, but I think I'm the exception :rolleyes:

PigSoldier, I'm the same way. I've known my closest friends since we were in kindergarten! I have my friends at school also, but my best friends are the ones I've known forever.
I'm also the exception on meeting my future husband the first week of college... I've known mine since 8th grade (we're college seniors now) :lovestruc

Lynn CC- I think that it can be easier to make friends in college because you are around people with similar interests in your classes. Also, if you're living in the dorms, it's easy to walk down the hall and meet new people... I'm sure he'll meet alot of people!

-Liz

most of my close friends are from high school--i have friends at college, but i dont live there, so i dont see them except for classes really--no boyfriend now, but i could meet him in college, that works for me :)

It's a mixture for me. I met my best friend in college. She was my first roommate. We lasted about three weeks together. We couldn't live together, but we became friends for life.

I still see a lot of friends from high school. One of our friends in our "group" died suddenly last year, so that brought us closer.

As for boyfriends, didn't meet "the one" there, but I met a couple that came close.

Your son is living at school, right? He'll make friends in the dorm and friends in classes. Living at school makes it easier with the friend situation.

I have friends here and but I'm still insanely close with all my high school best friends. It helps that I joined a sorority b/c I have met a ton of peopel threw it and I know that I'll get closer to some of them over the years.
It's not hard to meet people, you usually become close with the people in your dorm and on your hall b/c you share bathrooms, see each other all the time, etc.
I'm one of those weird cases where my roommate and I didn't know each other before we came but we are soooo much alike and best friends here :) we're going to room together again next year!
I have a boyfriend here and I met him on facebook(which is seriously a great way to meet people with similar interests before you go to school and during school) so it's possible to find tons of people with the same interests.

I hardly talk to anyone I went to high school where I went. I talk to only a handful of them. Most of my firends now are the ones that I met in college. I went to a very small high school (I graduated with 37 people) and therefore didn't really get to pick my friends, because there weren't all that many people there. That's why I love college so much, I got to pick my friends and I wouldn't trade any of them for the world! I even met my boyfriend here at college. They are very diverse, where at my school we were all pretty much the same (white, middle and lower class). At school I have gay friends, friends of different races, friends from inner cities, friends from different states, just friends from all over. I'm so glad that I got to go 8 hours away from home. When I hear about most of the people I graduate with most of them are back in our town, having flunked out of college, got pregnant, got married, and have no desire to leave the small town we all grew up in. I am part of a very small handful of people in my graduating class, who are still in college My best friend went to the same high school as I did and we still talk a lot.

My friends from school helped make me into the person that I am today. They are your family away from home, you literally live with them and have a bond with them that is much different because of the freshman situation.

That being said, my best friends in the world were my friends from home. I have a group of 20 who keep in touch when we can and who get together all the time in the summer. My 3 best friends and I keep in touch very well (almost daily phone calls, random cards to say hi, we visit each others schools).

The good thing about college is you find out who from home matters, and who doesn't. You tend to get rid of those superficial friendships since you're not forced to be around those people anymore.

My best friend I met in Kindergarden, my other closest friend I met in like 4th grade through school and soccer. I met my boyfriend in 7th grade, and we've been dating since sophmore year of high school. Now that I'm a freshman in college, I haven't made many friends on campus. The person I'm closest to is a senior I've know for years actually, but we've just gotten closer. Other than him, I've sorta become friends with four other girls, one senior, two juniors and one sophmore. Depending on what he plans to go to school for, it could be easy for him to make friends. I know majoring in Education/Psych. you meet people quickly, but I don't live on campus so I miss out on the real friendships.

The people I have met here in college are very differnt from the people I knew in high school. They are not as catty more of a there are clicks but we do not put any stock in them. You form a stronger bond with them because you live with them and it is very hard to just get away. If you have a problem they will be more than willing to help you out with it. :grouphug: I have made some of the fest friendships in my life since comming here to college. :flower:

At UCLA, I have met such a diverse group of people (very similar to how my high school was.) Ranging from people who appear absolutely brilliant to people who appear (and act) absolutely stupid, the main difference is here, once you get to know them, the vast majority are incredibly intelligent. I have made a lot of friends here, but at the same time, my closest friends from high school have remained my closest friends, period. (One of my two best friends is in Scotland for school and our friendship hasn't weakened at all, but then again, I know the people I am close to now I am going to be close to for life, I've been friends with them for too long for that to change.) But for every person at UCLA who has had my experience, there are others who have become best friends and started dating people here as well...it really varies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter