How can we make MK rope drop from Poly right now?

smelton521

Mouseketeer
Hello! We are staying at Poly DVC Nov 29 - Dec 5. We have only been to WDW once back in 2014 and stayed at WL so I have no idea how Poly is connected to the other monorail resorts (besides the monorail) or the best transportation to the other parks for rope drop. We will have a car but I have heard mixed information about when the parking lots are opening to the other parks compared to when buses are being allowed to enter, etc. So I would like to find out from those who have been recently what our strategy should be to rope drop each park? We have 3 kids ages 12, 10 and 6. Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm not familiar with the layout of Poly or how close it is to Contemporary. Could we walk to the walkway from Contemporary to MK in the morning or is it too far? Would we be allowed to access the walkway to MK if we are not staying at Contemporary? To get into MK as early as possible, is it best to walk via Contemporary or take the monorail?

Last edited:
Hello! We are staying at Poly DVC Nov 29 - Dec 5. We have only been to WDW once back in 2014 and stayed at WL so
I have no idea how Poly is connected to the other monorail resorts (besides the monorail) or the
1. best transportation to the other parks for rope drop.
2. We will have a car...
1. All parks other than MK are accessed by buses.
2. You may be best served by driving to parks except for MK.

Edited to change title to get answer to my most pressing question. Couldn’t figure out how to delete this thread and start a new one.

There is no official/safe path from Poly to Contemporary.

The monorail station at Poly will be closed during your stay, but the monorail will still be running.
The DVC buildings at Poly are a quick, 5 min or less walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). You can catch the monorail or ferry to MK from there. This will be your simplest option. The path is marked on the resort map.

Even when the Poly station is open, it is usually faster (and easier) to go to the TTC from the DVC rooms, than to use the Poly station, unless you're headed to the main building for some other reason.

Steve

There is no official/safe path from Poly to Contemporary.

The monorail station at Poly will be closed during your stay, but the monorail will still be running.
The DVC buildings at Poly are a quick, 5 min or less walk to the Ticket and Transportation Center (TTC). You can catch the monorail or ferry to MK from there. This will be your simplest option. The path is marked on the resort map.

Even when the Poly station is open, it is usually faster (and easier) to go to the TTC from the DVC rooms, than to use the Poly station, unless you're headed to the main building for some other reason.

Steve
Is there a way to find out what time the monorail starts running in the morning? Is there usually a long line at TTC for the first train? Wondering what time we would need to try to be there to be at the front of the line....

Monorail times will be posted at the resort. During your stay, they will be using Pago Pago as the check-in/lobby area. They should have signs posted there. Transportation to MK should begin about 45 min prior to opening. Possibly a bit sooner depending on crowds.

Steve

By the time of your visit, the walkway from the Grand Floridian to the MK will most likely be available.

It's not a short walk, but I'd still use it, to take any transportation issues (lines, waiting for trains/boats/buses) out of the equation. On a nice day, it's a lovely walk between Poly & GF.

By the time of your visit, the walkway from the Grand Floridian to the MK will most likely be available.

It's not a short walk, but I'd still use it, to take any transportation issues (lines, waiting for trains/boats/buses) out of the equation. On a nice day, it's a lovely walk between Poly & GF.

I was just going to suggest the same thing. If the walkway is opwn, this is exactly what I would do.

You cannot walk to Contemporary from Poly, atleast not until they open the bridge from GF to Magic Kingdom, and even then that would be a long walk. You CAN very easily walk to the TTC from Poly (it’s literally a couple min walk), and from there take a monorail to MK or GF or Contemporary. The DVC long houses are those closest to the TTC anyway. (They are closer to TTC than they are to the GCH)

Jennifer

Hello! We are staying at Poly DVC Nov 29 - Dec 5. We have only been to WDW once back in 2014 and stayed at WL so I have no idea how Poly is connected to the other monorail resorts (besides the monorail) or the best transportation to the other parks for rope drop. We will have a car but I have heard mixed information about when the parking lots are opening to the other parks compared to when buses are being allowed to enter, etc. So I would like to find out from those who have been recently what our strategy should be to rope drop each park? We have 3 kids ages 12, 10 and 6. Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm not familiar with the layout of Poly or how close it is to Contemporary. Could we walk to the walkway from Contemporary to MK in the morning or is it too far? Would we be allowed to access the walkway to MK if we are not staying at Contemporary? To get into MK as early as possible, is it best to walk via Contemporary or take the monorail?

You cannot walk to Contemporary from Poly, atleast not until they open the bridge from GF to Magic Kingdom, and even then that would be a long walk. You CAN very easily walk to the TTC from Poly (it’s literally a couple min walk), and from there take a monorail to MK or GF or Contemporary. The DVC long houses are those closest to the TTC anyway. (They are closer to TTC than they are to the GCH)
Poly-TTC-All-Walk-Fwx_011517_zpskguybtbl.jpg

There is a very short walkway from the Poly to the Ticket and Transportation Center. I walk that way every time I stay at the Poly which is alot since it's my home resort.

Be prepared that the Monorail may not be open for first thing in the morning. I would walk over there and be there an hour before MK opens.
The line getting thru security is usually short then. If the monorail is running you can go on that. I did it around that time in late September and walked right on. It is busier now so you may have to wait a bit.

The 2nd time that trip, the monorail wasn't running so I had to take the ferry over to MK. Each group was told to stand on a dot spaced 6 feet apart while waiting for the ferry. When the ferry arrived and was unloaded everyone was directed to board and stand on a dot on the ferry that was 6 feet apart. They loaded to the top area first and then the bottom unless you had a stroller or wheelchair. Those folks didn't have to go to the top area. Pick a dot and stand on it.
When I went we did have a group near us who realized they couldn't see the castle from their chosen dot so they left it and crowded between myself and another group. I left that spot and went to the spot they chose to be at so I could keep the 6 feet distance.

For Epcot - the monorail was not running at all. So we went to the front of the Poly and caught the bus to Epcot.
We knew we would be drinking so we didn't want to drive.

Same with Hollywood Studios - we got to the bus stop an hour and 10 minutes before park open and were on the first bus to the Studios. We made it in plenty of time to attempt to get RotR virtual boarding. We made it in a boarding group that time.

For Animal Kingdom I drove to that park and got to the parking area right at the 45 minute mark before the park opened and they were letting cars in to park.

Hope this info helps you!

I would walk to TTC and take the monorail to get to MK.
For the other parks, would drive since you have a car.
In the past, the buses were a good option. Now with limited seating on each bus, it could be a much longer wait.

Could you please post your experience? Which transportation did you take, wish you did, etc.? Any tips? We will be staying at the Poly in January with a rental car. Thanks!

Could you please post your experience? Which transportation did you take, wish you did, etc.? Any tips? We will be staying at the Poly in January with a rental car. Thanks!
I'm curious too. I'm wondering maybe to take the MK shuttle boat, or the Gold Line bus to Contemporary for Mobile Order and walk over to MK. The Gold Bus starts running before the park transports.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter