How close do you have to get to see the Hollywood sign?

You can get really good views of the sign from areas of Griffith Park. You could bypass Hollywood Blvd altogether, and take the 5 to the Griffith Observatory. If you'll be leaving from DL, I'd consider doing this on a weekday, because the parking is better. Then you could go to lunch in Glendale, Burbank or Pasadena before going back down. You could drive by Disney Studios, and I'll suggest eating at Tam O Shanter (look up the Disney connection.)

SMD said:
You can get really good views of the sign from areas of Griffith Park. You could bypass Hollywood Blvd altogether, and take the 5 to the Griffith Observatory. If you'll be leaving from DL, I'd consider doing this on a weekday, because the parking is better. Then you could go to lunch in Glendale, Burbank or Pasadena before going back down. You could drive by Disney Studios, and I'll suggest eating at Tam O Shanter (look up the Disney connection.)

Thanks! Just looked up this restaurant and my husband's family is Scottish so this might have to make our list. :)

Ok Im getting worried ;) We plan on a day and universal/magic mountain Id really like to take the kids back to El capitan (last trip, 2006ish) Is it still as awesome as it was back then? there were limited characters we did tip one for pics, but only because we weren't aware prior - we won't do that again! :) lol

Thanks! Just looked up this restaurant and my husband's family is Scottish so this might have to make our list. :)

I didn't want to talk up the Disney connection to much, because it's slim and not the sole reason to visit, but Scottish heritage is another solida reason to go :thumbsup2:

It's owned by Lawry's, so it can be pricey. Check the menu online, in addition to the sit down restaurant (which has actually been rented for a private party the last 2 times I've been there), they have a carving station at lunch in the bar where you can get a sandwich and a few other things. There is a little buffet station with potato salad and cole slaw with the carving station. They also have the same sides as Lawry's (creamed spinach, mac & cheese, etc) ala carte, and 2 salads and usually 2 specials. At dinner they have a bar menu.

Ok Im getting worried ;) We plan on a day and universal/magic mountain Id really like to take the kids back to El capitan (last trip, 2006ish) Is it still as awesome as it was back then? there were limited characters we did tip one for pics, but only because we weren't aware prior - we won't do that again! :) lol

I would not describe Hollywood Blvd as "nasty" like previous posters. I mean, I would wash my hands if I dropped something on the ground and picked it up, but I'd do that at Disney too. There is not any more trash on the ground or coarse language than what you'll see and hear at Disney. Yes, it is a tourist trap, and not a controlled one like Disney where all of the money is funneled to a single source. So yes, you need to be careful, don't bring things you don't need. Like do you really need a big purse or backpack to walk around the area? If not, don't make yourself a target. Don't bring a ton of extra cash, don't wave it around, just use the normal common sense you'd use in a popular tourist area in any city. As for the characters, a few years ago, there was a mass arrest because they are not allowed to require tips. I've really only been by there once since that happened, and I didn't notice them being more aggressive, but maybe that's changed in the last few years. I mean, again, it's not like Disney, where they are being paid to stand there and pretend they're happy to see you and are there just to make you happy, so if you're only used to Disney vacations, there's a stark contrast. Just walk by, say no thanks, and explain the difference to your kids before you get there. I would absolutely go to El Capitan if there's a movie you want to see. Stop at the soda fountain next door, take your kids across the street to see the footprints, maybe eat a Mel's or somewhere at Hollywood & Highland and then go do something else in a more low key area. If you're looking for another food option besides Hollywood, look into Farmer's Market and The Grove. They're just as touristy, but more controlled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter