How do I convince DH DDP is GOOD?

LuvTinkBell

Mouseketeer
Ok, we decided yesterday to go to Disney this summer. We were planning on skipping this year, but changed our minds. Or rather the kids changed them for us!

I have found I can stay at All Star Movies, which the kids like for 4 nights, 2 days of Hoppers, and DDP for about $1550.

Staying off property the hotel I am looking at will run us over $600 w/o tax, and that is if we paid full price (was going to Priceline this).

Hoppers for 2 of us, 2 kids for 2 days will run us $616

So, ummm, I see this as starting to look really attractive w/ the DDP. We always have treats in the park, and usually CS. Not always sit down.

Being we are looking at July 13th to travel, I have no ADRs of course so I don't know what to do about using the TS as far as some restaurants/character meals, but I see this to be good.

DH is not budging, HELP! I have eaten enough Pizza Hut and McD's in Orlando!!!

I am thinking of that, the days we are able to go before the kids begin school, are looking like the hotels are filled up with this offer, any advice on that?

You can call WDW directly or work thru AAA to try to get a space on the free dinng plan. I think what you are saying is that there is no availability on the free plan for the days that you can travel. IN that case, keep trying--there is always the possibility of a cancellation, and you can call up to and including the June 4 ending date.

If you can't do the free dining dates, what about time in October? Do your kids have time off for a fall break or teacher conferences? Room rates typically go down in the fall due to lower occupancy. The weather is still warm and wonderful in Sept. and October....unless you get visited by a hurricane.

The advantages of staying on property are huge--free parking, free use of Disney transportation system, convenience (you can go back to the resort for an afternoon nap if desired, etc.) as well as the Disney service, having everything on the one KTTW card, Extra Magic Hours, etc.

As to not having ADRs, don't give up. We changed several of ours while we were on property (kids are funny that way). Make a list of "alternatives" and call....try your first choice first. If it is unavailable, work your way down the list. If there's any way staying on property is anywhere close to staying off, don't think twice--on with dining, free or paid!

Yes, there is just not availability showing the days we'd like to travel. I am playing around with it now, but will try Disney directly, thank you.

We normally go in Oct. to MNSSHP, but I am pregnant and due Nov. 20th so by their break (Oct 20th) I don't think I'll be able to waddle through Disney! LOL!

I did also see a post that it is possible to downgrade from a TS to a CS, though maybe not the smartest idea as of course you always want your money's woth, but glad to see it as an option. As well as "paying" w/ credits for a guest. My sis and her boys are bugging her DH if they can go too, but I am making our plans and letting her do what she can to match it, as we are definitely going!

Thank you for your tips!

If you are trying to book the free dining online, I don't think it works properly. I tried to book POR online and it charged me for the dining. I then called disney and the CM said there was availability. So make sure you call them.

Here is what I would do to convince DH to do the dining plan. Search the restaurants boards, look for trip reports that include price (meals @ LeCellier & character dining) jot down the price. The add $4.00 Per person per day for snacks and approx. another $12.00 per person per day to that total and whip that on him.

I just have to say, I've never had a problem convincing a man (any man, not just DH) to pay a little for a ton of food :lmao:

Didn't think I would ever talk DH into it. I used the menus from menus around the world to show him the prices and what a deal it is. DH can't pass by a deal even though he was skeptical at first.

Go to allearsnet.com, pull up the menus and prices. Tell him to select what resturants he would like to go to...then with out looking at prices (you may need to block them out) have him select what he would like to eat. If he is anything like my DH he will select some huge steak or something. Now show him the price, add an 18% tip and see where you are. If you are within a few bucks a day then you know it is well worth it considering you are going to get a CS and snack too! Since you are planning on traveling with children make sure you point out the themed and character meals are included in the plan. Alot of these are buffet or family style all you can eat. If all else fails, have him call me and I will set him straight:teacher: . :rotfl: :lmao:

One other idea if the free dining dates won't work is to see if you could rent DVC points. If you could travel Sun-Thu July 9-13, it would break down like this:

OKW in a studio for 4 nights - $440 (assuming $10 per point rental)
2 day park hoppers - $616 (per your post)
4 nights dining plan - $391.84

Grand total - $1447.84

That's $100 closer to what you were looking at paying for off site and the OKW studios are HUGE, so you're getting a bigger/nicer room.

Sell it by showing him the menus and the cost break down. Then emphasize the different between an in-park or resort ADR with all the magic versus McDs that requires getting to the car and driving someplace to save a few dollars. With the cost of gas, that trip saves less and less money and wastes time.

Would he prefer a steak and dessert to a Big Mac? Would he rather his kids eat pizza or more healthy food WHILE playing with characters? We stay at values and schedule meals at deluxes to soak in that atmosphere. I'm soooo looking forward to checking out AKL as I have only seen it on TV.

My dh wasn't a hard sell on this, but I thought my mom would not be interested at all (and I really wasn't going to sell her on it, just go ahead and use our DDE card). Well, for the sake of full disclosure I mentioned the dining plan....stating the cost, a link to the brochure, and mentioning that when dh and I visited back in 1994 we had budgeted about $40 each per day for food which covered our meals perfectly. She emailed me back saying "yes, the dining plan looks good" I was shocked.

We're not making our decision until after dh, the kids and I try out the dining plan for the first time in September....but still...I'm a bit surprised she's actually open to the idea.

Wow, I never even tried to show my DH the menus. I told him that without it, he might need to live on burgers and chicken strips. :thumbsup2

DH had to talk ME into DDP for the first half of our trip! We are paying for it and I thought we could save money without it. We used DDP last year (not during the free period, sadly) and had so much food.

A bit off the OP's topic, but may pertain to others: last year and this we stayed concierge. We never intended for concierge to be a meal plan, but I did want to try something that they offered in the lounge beyond breakfast, it looked so good, but I just couldn't eat any more with the DDP. This is one reason I thought DDP would be a waste this year. I thought, we don't need app. and desserts, on days we want something like that we can get it from the lounge. Even with DDP this year concierge is still a good choice for us because of the help with planning.

Back to point, DH got menu from allears as mentioned before. He added up CS for each day, added in a snack and for TS chose cheaper entrees and skipped app. and desserts at the places he knew I wanted to go. In a lot of cases, I won...UNTIL, tax and tip were added...the DDP almost always (and definitely by far overall) beat the price of just paying OOP. So, it just made more sense, plus we get the appetizers, desserts and can order what we want. OK, so I was talked into it. DH likes it most because it is prepaid, he doesn't have to worry about costs while there.
As far as staying off-site and eating, someone wrote on this board a while back something that really stuck with me. I hope I explain it as well. You also have to consider the cost of the Disney vacation. If you spend 1/3 of your time traveling to and from and eating off-site, you aren't getting as much out of your Disney $ as you could. Does that make sense? You are talking about $900, right. How much of that $900 will you spend on food for 4 days regardless of where you stay? Then add in parking and a bit of gas shuttling around. Subtract that from the $900 to see what your comparison savings will be.
You are probably looking at something around $100/day more or less. You'll have better meals, be immersed in the Disney experience, less stress and basically get more time out of Disney, and being at Disney is what you are there for, right?
Hope something in there helps build your argument.
Either way, I am sure you will have a wonderful time. :goodvibes

borgthe said:
If you are trying to book the free dining online, I don't think it works properly. I tried to book POR online and it charged me for the dining. I then called disney and the CM said there was availability. So make sure you call them.

We booked our trip with the Free DDP online, and it worked fine.. What makes you think it doesn't work to book online?

Perhaps you didn't click on the specific Free DDP link on the main page? Out of curiosity, I went back to the WDW site and put together an identical vacation to the one we've got, except NOT using the Free DDP link -- and whaddaya know, I ended up with a quote $500 higher than the real one we booked (turns out you can end up paying for DDP even during the Free DDP time if you don't know any better).

Pretty tricky, but it's important to pay close attention to what you're choosing when trying to book online.

mom2alix said:
One other idea if the free dining dates won't work is to see if you could rent DVC points.

2 day park hoppers - $616 (per your post)

That's $100 closer to what you were looking at paying for off site and the OKW studios are HUGE, so you're getting a bigger/nicer room.
Good suggestion! With regard to the park tickets, you don't have to buy park tickets with DVC. Buy them if you need them, but no ticket purchase is required.

Here is a direct link to the free dining offer booking page

Free Dining

I tried a number of dates in August and found availabilty.

Also, since you are staying 4 nights, why not do a 3 day non-hopper ticket instead of a 2 day hopper? It is only slighlty more and you get another full day of activities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter