How do I set up a network for printing w/3 computers?

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
We have 2 work computers and 1 home computer, and we need to set up some kind of a home network to be able to print from all 3 computers without everything being connected. I'm not very knowledgeable at all with computer setup and hardware, so if anyone knows exactly what I need, and how I can set this up (and how difficult it may be), please give me as much information as possible. Thank you.

OK -- I honestly don't know if you can do it without the computers being connected.

BUT, DH and I just bought a wireless router for our PC and laptop. The router sits in the office with the PC and is connected by ethernet wire to the PC. That way we didn't have to buy a card for the PC. The laptop got a wireless network card, so it can be anywhere in the house and still be online, print, etc. DH setup the printer so it's connected to the PC, but the laptop shares it. It's in the control panels, I believe. If you search general help for sharing, it explains everything. We tried plugging the printer into the router, but it didn't like that. :rolleyes:

And I don't know how the router is different from a hub. :confused: So don't ask me! :)

Oh, and we bought Siemens, and got a really good deal at Office Depot, including a total of $50 in rebates on the card and the router.

The easiest way to do this is to purchase a router.

Linksys seems to be the best overall for it's ease of use, quality and price.

Look for Linksys 4 port router with built in Firewall. (whether or not you want wireless is your call) (BEFSR41 is the item # for the non wireless)

Now the next part will be what makes it easy or difficult.

If your printer has a network port in it, you can plug it in and it should take.

Otherwise you need to plug it into a computer and have that computer share the printer.

In order to show you how to do that we will need more information.

What operating Systems are the 3 computers running?

Another thing I forgot to ask. I assume you want each computer to have access to the Internet?

Well, 2 of the computers have win2000 and the third is old, but we are buying a new computer before we set this up, which I assume will have win2000. Yes, they all need internet access as well.

I just had my baby brother do it for me, I have no idea how to do it on my own. Good luck with this :)

It's better that they all have Internet Access (from a difficulty standpoint)

Ok once you purchase the router, the Cable/DSL modem plugs into the WAN port. The computers will go in ports 1 -3. If the printer has a network card in it, it will go in port 4.

Then you Double Click on "My computer", Then on Printers. Add printer. Select Network Printer and click next. The address will be 192.168.1.5 (or add one to the end of the IP address of your last computer plugged in)

Do this on all three PC's and you should be set.

Here's a good link for setting up the connections:

http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/intro.html

Now if your printer doesn't have a network port (most personal ones don't) then just attach it to a printer like normal. Go to your printer control panel right click on the printer and there should be an option for sharing the printer.

Wow, thanks for all the information! Hopefully we'll be purchasing everything soon to give it a try!

Any questions of ir you need more help just write it in here.

Unless you have one really good printer, I would just buy an extra (cheap) printer, hook it up to the second older computer and then when you need to print something from the laptop just hook it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter