How do you "gift" points?

ebenmax

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to send our pastor and his family to WDW on our DVC points - as a gift, not at rental. How do we go about this so that we can assure (as much as possible) that they have a place to stay, but that we won't lose our points if they have to back out for some reason?

Do we book under their names or our names?

What if they DO change their minds and we want to take their place? Can we just call and change the names of guests?

Help!! How does this all work?

Thanks!!

Ellen

PS - I know there is risk involved but we really want to do this. :goodvibes

We are hoping to send our pastor and his family to WDW on our DVC points - as a gift, not at rental. How do we go about this so that we can assure (as much as possible) that they have a place to stay, but that we won't lose our points if they have to back out for some reason?
There is always the possibility of losing the points - it depends on when they back out (if they do)

Do we book under their names or our names?
You would make the reservation in their names. MS will want their mailing address, the names of everyone staying in the room and the ages of any children in the party. The confirmation letter will be mailedt o you. If your guests have any requests, want the DDP or ME, you would arrange it through MS. You retain complete control of the reservation until your guests actually check in.

What if they DO change their minds and we want to take their place? Can we just call and change the names of guests?
Yes, you just call MS and change the names - very easy to do.

Help!! How does this all work?

Thanks!!

Ellen

PS - I know there is risk involved but we really want to do this. :goodvibes
How thoughtful of you - I'm sure everything will turn out just fine!

If they accept your offer, be sure to tell them that if they have to cancel for any reason, to please let you know as soon as possible so that you can use your membership in some other way. Tell them that if they have to cancel less than 31 days prior to arrival, that there will be restrictions on how you can do that and if they cancel on the day of arrival, you would completely forfeit the ability to reschedule.

Thank you SO much for the information. That is exactly what I needed.
I am glad to hear that we keep control of the reservation. As long as they don't back out too late, it sounds like we will be fine.

Is Disney OK with this (gifting points)?

Can you insure a trip like this?

Ellen

Thank you SO much for the information. That is exactly what I needed.
I am glad to hear that we keep control of the reservation. As long as they don't back out too late, it sounds like we will be fine.

Is Disney OK with this (gifting points)?
Actually, you are gifting a reservation and Disney/DVC is just fine with it. Lots of members gift friends and family in this way.

Can you insure a trip like this?

Ellen
Yes - there are several insurance companies that will do trip insurance on DVC trips. DVC will send you info on one such possibility with the confirmation. Can't tell you much more - we always just self insure our trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter