How do you keep Auvi-Q(Epi) at proper temps at Disney world?

4Rfamily

Earning My Ears
My daughter was just diagnosed with a tree nut allergy last June. We've been through 1 Ohio summer carrying Auvi -Q. Last year we had 1 beach day and a few Cedar Point day trips and just used an insulated bag.

I'm trying to make a plan for Disney in June/July. The insulated bag doesn't seem good enough for Florida in summer.

I've heard of people using 1 insulated bag for meds inside of another insulated bag with a cooler pack but we won't have a freezer for cooling, plus that seems a little bulky for a park day bag??

I was looking into the Frio cooling wallet, but I've read conflicting info as to whether that really keeps meds at recommended temps in Florida heat? Anyone have experience with these? Were you able to verify the temps?

Any other options?

I'd love to see pics, if you have a good set up. We are still getting used to the allergy and lifestyle changes. She also has an inhaler and spacer.

Thanks

My DH uses the FRIO wallets for his insulin pens with no problem.

An insulated bag inside another insulated bag doesn’t sound right. The insulation will keep the cold of the cooler pack from reaching the meds in the inner bag. Like how putting an insulated lunch bag in the fridge won’t help the lunch food stay cold because it’s insulated against the cold air of the fridge.

Enjoy your vacation!

Is it possible for your daughter to use a different injector for her epinephrine that doesn’t require such a narrow temperature range. I’ve carried an EpiPen for years. It just sits in my purse, and gets replaced once a year. Neither my doctor or pharmacist has ever said that it needs to be in an insulated bag in the summertime.

My DH uses the FRIO wallets for his insulin pens with no problem.

An insulated bag inside another insulated bag doesn’t sound right. The insulation will keep the cold of the cooler pack from reaching the meds in the inner bag. Like how putting an insulated lunch bag in the fridge won’t help the lunch food stay cold because it’s insulated against the cold air of the fridge.

Enjoy your vacation!
My understanding is that the Auvi Q needs to be kept in a certain temp range (basically room temp) not too cold or hot.

My understanding is that the Auvi Q needs to be kept in a certain temp range (basically room temp) not too cold or hot.
The FRIO works for that. It will keep the meds at the current temp for up to something like 45 hours. It doesn’t actually cool like an ice pack does, it maintains the temp of the med at the time that med is put into an activated FRIO.

Enjoy your vacation!

I’m a wdw local and I’ve never done anything special with either my Auvi-Q or Epipens while in the parks. Unless you are just walking around all day and not going indoors, the injectors should be fine. There is a safe temperature range and short excursions beyond that range are even okay. Epi isn’t supposed to be kept chilled like insulin and keeping it too cold could damage the injection device.

I keep mine tossed into our backpack and that’s where they spend the day. If it’s too hot for the injectors. It’s too hot for me.

I just bury mine deep in my backpack away from the sun's affects. At home, I normally use the free mail-in bag that came with my epi-pen but found that many security guards at the parks would open it since they are supposed to open every bag. I didn't like the hygienic aspect of that so I just keep it as is padded by something in my backpack.

My daughter was just diagnosed with a tree nut allergy last June. We've been through 1 Ohio summer carrying Auvi -Q. Last year we had 1 beach day and a few Cedar Point day trips and just used an insulated bag.

I'm trying to make a plan for Disney in June/July. The insulated bag doesn't seem good enough for Florida in summer.

I've heard of people using 1 insulated bag for meds inside of another insulated bag with a cooler pack but we won't have a freezer for cooling, plus that seems a little bulky for a park day bag??

I was looking into the Frio cooling wallet, but I've read conflicting info as to whether that really keeps meds at recommended temps in Florida heat? Anyone have experience with these? Were you able to verify the temps?

Any other options?

I'd love to see pics, if you have a good set up. We are still getting used to the allergy and lifestyle changes. She also has an inhaler and spacer.

Thanks

I don't know if you made a decision yet but here is my two cents. I have to carry insulin pens with me and they are very sensitive to temperature. I'm from South Florida and currently live in Texas so I get heat! My day-to-day go to is a Frio bag. It's activated by water so easy to keep in range. I keep it in a zip lock most of the time. During the summer in FL and TX I put the Frio in an insulated pouch. I bought mine off of Etsy. There is also a company called MedAngel that makes small temperature sensors for medicine. It's about two inches so easy to throw in your bag and track the pen temp through the app. I believe the Epi Pen is one of the medicines listed on the app. Good Luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!