How do you keep track of different UY?

kboo

DIS Veteran
Hi, we are in the process of buying another home resort and a different UY. Right now we are planning to go annually and bank points every other year (i.e. use the contracts separately). How do you keep track of points if you don't go at the same time of year each year? And what do you do if you have a few extra points?

E.g.

banking 2017/2018 points = 200 points and my 2018 reservation is only 190 points. So now if I have 10 2018 points "left over" and I bank them forward, I'd have to use at least those 10 points in my 2019 UY. But if I'm planning on staying at HR#2 in 2019, using HR advantage there, how do I "use" the 10 points from HR#1? Or do I just try to rent/transfer them so as not to lose all value? Is there something I am missing?

First world problems, to be sure.

Always use the different use years for their own separate trips. Never intermingle them. Track them separately.

If you’re using each use year every other year, it’s best to be in a borrowing position. Stay an extra day and dip into next year’s points. The. Bank the next year into the following year. You want to never leave current year points unused.

Hm. I never thought I'd say I might have "too many" VGF points in 2019... thanks.

color coded spreadsheet. being a little OCD helps, too. ;)

i have it arranged by calendar year. each use year has notes on how many points, if any are borrowed / banked, and dues. then i break out what points were used for what trips - we try not to mix them for a stay unless we'd already planned on a split stay and it makes sense. we have 2 small contracts and use each every year - an earlier use year for summer trips w/ the kids, and a later one for fall anniversary trips without them.

I am not sure I know what these 'left over points' you speak of even are :rolleyes1. We have two different resorts and two different use years, and we are planning on keeping them totally separate, never to intermingle. I don't foresee that being an issue since we are currently borrowing from both even though we just doubled our points this year :sad2:.

I am not sure I know what these 'left over points' you speak of even are :rolleyes1. We have two different resorts and two different use years, and we are planning on keeping them totally separate, never to intermingle. I don't foresee that being an issue since we are currently borrowing from both even though we just doubled our points this year :sad2:.
Ha. I think the issue is getting them on a stagger and to the point of borrowing. We also are planning to use each contract every other year and not mix them.

we had a somewhat loaded BLT contract that we had already planned 2 trips in 2018 to take on 2017 and 2018 points. But then we are in process of buying a VGF contract that has 2018 points also. I *think* if we take a 2019 trip in the VGF 2018 UY, AND make sure we use ALL 2018 points in 2018, I can bank 2019 BLT into 2020, use those plus a point or two from 2021 for the trip in 2020 to BLT/using BLT points.

Then for VGF, we bank 2019 VGF into 2020 but take the trip in earlier 2021 to use VGF points in the 2020 UY? I'm confused....

Ha. I think the issue is getting them on a stagger and to the point of borrowing. We also are planning to use each contract every other year and not mix them.

we had a somewhat loaded BLT contract that we had already planned 2 trips in 2018 to take on 2017 and 2018 points. But then we are in process of buying a VGF contract that has 2018 points also. I *think* if we take a 2019 trip in the VGF 2018 UY, AND make sure we use ALL 2018 points in 2018, I can bank 2019 BLT into 2020, use those plus a point or two from 2021 for the trip in 2020 to BLT/using BLT points.

Then for VGF, we bank 2019 VGF into 2020 but take the trip in earlier 2021 to use VGF points in the 2020 UY? I'm confused....

Yeah, I think that once you get the initial plan figured out the subsequent years will be much easier. We do at least two trips per year, sometimes 3, and decided that our January trip will ALWAYS be with our AK points, and our F&W trip will ALWAYS be with our BC points, along with any supplemental trips, so it is easy for us to keep them totally separate in our own heads that way. We were already borrowing on our AK contract so the initial set up upon adding the BC contract was pretty easy, as we just switched booking on points with the BC contract for the trips we were paying cash for. Good luck!!!!!

We use a combination of notebooks to plan "what if" trips with current points and then put them in an excel spreadsheet after the points have been booked.

Or...... you could just buy more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter