How do you prevent housekeeping from waking you on the last day?

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
We just got home from a great week at BCV's. Its my home resort since 2002, and still love it. Except!! Our daily schedule recently has changed to leisurely mornings and heading to the parks in the afternoons, its been awesome. Along these lines, on our very last day, we both wanted to really sleep in and have our room till 11:00 am, then head to Stormalong bay for the entire day till our flight. At exactly 9:00 am, KNOCK, KNOCK!!! We were sound asleep :(. I'll never understand it. If we have these rooms till 11:00, shouldn't that include the ability to sleep in if we choose to?? oh, and this wasn't a security check, they wanted to clean it and wanted us out. I get it, they have lives, and don't want to work all afternoon. But, I shouldn't feel sorry for them either, that is their job if the guest wants that room till 11:00. It was so frustrating!! That was it, we were both up at that point, no going back. Any solutions as to what to do about that? And just as a side note while I'm venting..parents, please I beg you, don't let your kids yell and run up and down the corridors. Every single day, we heard this. We practically raised our three boys at BCV, and never allowed the noise and playing that went on these corridors all week. On any given hour of the day, somebody is sleeping at every resort. Please have consideration and teach your kids! thanks. Back to housekeeping...any thoughts on preventing the knocking?

Last edited:
Have you tried putting the do not disturb sign on the door handle to see if that makes a difference?

I can’t help but feel your maybe trying to relax in the wrong place lol

If I put the sign on, thats just telling them we're definitely there, and they'll knock. So no, didn't do that.

If I put the sign on, thats just telling them we're definitely there, and they'll knock. So no, didn't do that.
Well you didn't put it up and they knocked. If you don't want them to knock then they need to know you are in the room. And the point of the sign is to tell them you are in the room. So I'm really not following you here.

Housekeeping can’t wait until 11:00 to start cleaning all the rooms. As many guests leave early, they can start cleaning those rooms at 9:00. Unless you have the sign on your door they don’t know if you are still in the room or not, so they knock before entering (a good thing!). Leaving the sign up lets them know that you have not yet vacated.

People hang signs and leave the room so that doesn't work either. Maybe a sticky note on the door but in reality they only care about doing your room so they can get paid.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree that some people hang signs and leave which is why they start knocking around 10:30 and by 11:00 for sure even if the sign is up. I would be irritated if they knocked before that time if the sign is up as, like the OP said, we have the room till 11:00.

Put the sign up. You have a much better chance of housekeeping knocking & trying to enter if the sign is NOT up.

The housekeepers are not actively going around trying to bother people in the rooms - they just want to get their work done and the rooms turned so that those who want rooms early can have them. Housekeeping has no way to know if the room is occupied or not when the guest uses express check out (vast majority of DVC members). They have to knock to find the rooms that are ready to be cleaned.

We have never been disturbed when we put out the sign. YMMV.

Vacated rooms need to be ready for next guests as soon as possible so it’s no wonder housekeeping want to get those done first. Many departing guests leave super early so from their point of view, why not try them first?

Put your sign on the door, they have plenty to be getting on with until you leave and are far less likely to try your room.

I don’t know if Disney properties are any different from other hotels but I have never been disturbed by housekeeping on departure day if I’ve had my DND sign on the door until leaving.

Put the sign up. You have a much better chance of housekeeping knocking & trying to enter if the sign is NOT up.

The housekeepers are not actively going around trying to bother people in the rooms - they just want to get their work done and the rooms turned so that those who want rooms early can have them. Housekeeping has no way to know if the room is occupied or not when the guest uses express check out (vast majority of DVC members). They have to knock to find the rooms that are ready to be cleaned.

We have never been disturbed when we put out the sign. YMMV.

This is a great explanation and makes sense to me, thanks! I will put the sign up next time and hope for the best.

I have to agree with the other posters. As a person who would be coming in for that room, I am happy they are making the attempt to clean it at 9:00am. I would think putting the sign out, and potentially even calling the front desk to tell them that the plan was to sleep in the last morning could yield better results.

From my experience at Saratoga, the only way to prevent housekeeping from waking you is to already be up when they bang on the door.

If you are lucky, they will wait until 9am. Otherwise it is an early, rude wake up call.

And yes, I realize that they need to clean up the room. If they need that much of a head start on every single room, they should kick us out earlier.

On our last trip, housekeeping stood outside of our door for 45 minutes, from 10 until 10:45. She was waiting for us to vacate. I guess she was just so overworked that she had to get started on our room, or she would never finish before people wanted to check in. Of course if she had taken herself to another room to work, maybe, just maybe, she could have finished a room or two before doing ours.

I really wonder if the overworked housekeeper at Disney is really a mythical being.

A couple of weeks ago I was soloing at AKV. Mornings I like to sit on the balcony and enjoy my coffee... starting the day slowly. Must have been about 8:30, I walk back in to refill my mug and I find the CM emptying my trash can by the bathroom. I don't know which of us jumped higher! LOL She was so apologetic... had knocked several times and not gotten a response... didn't hear her on the balcony. She was such a lovely lady and we had a nice chat before going on with our day.

Having had that happen, however, I was certainly more aware of CM movements in the mornings and making sure I was keeping an ear open. There are all kinds of reasons you might not hear... like me, on the balcony, in the shower, sleeping, etc.

Last edited:
A couple of weeks I was soloing at AKV. Mornings I like to sit on the balcony and enjoy my coffee... starting the day slowly. Must have been about 8:30, I walk back in to refill my mug and I find the CM emptying my trash can by the bathroom. I don't know which of us jumped higher! LOL She was so apologetic... had knocked several times and not gotten a response... didn't hear her on the balcony. She was such a lovely lady and we had a nice chat before going on with our day.

Having had that happen, however, I was certainly more aware of CM movements in the mornings and making sure I was keeping an ear open. There are all kinds of reasons you might not hear... like me, on the balcony, in the shower, sleeping, etc.
I would, instead, put the bar on the door. I certainly don't want housekeeping walking in on me in the shower.

I think over 50% use the magical express, or am I off on that? Anyways Disney knows which rooms will be vacated early due to early flights so they have the capability to direct housekeeping to those rooms. That would take some organization though on the part of Disney and hiring somebody for that spot, another unlikely scenario.

When I was a kid, one side of the sign said, "Do not disturb." The other side of the sign said, "Maid, please clean this room" or something like that. Not Disney, but perhaps it would help.

Mine was 8am last time at the Poly on March 4, 2018. And then when I didn't answer because I was still trying to sleep they tried to come in. I latch the door every night so they couldn't get in.

I used to put up the Do Not Disturb signs which gave me a 50/50 chance of getting disturbed early but since those are gone I guess I'll put up the room occupied sign and hope for the best.

Well, we check out Thursday (BWV) so we’ll put the sign up and the latch on the door. We have in the past frequently gotten early knocks. Last year we didn’t have a sign. Didn’t need it or think about it until our early morning knock on checkout day.

We NEVER vacate the room before 11 AM. We always have a later flight, and I’m always nuts right until 11 AM (or a few minutes later) trying to fit everything into our luggage. Oy.

Screaming kids AND noisy adults have been a problem this trip. Previous trips at times too. We still talk about “screaming Mia” at AKV years ago. One time we heard them reprimand her and thought “nnnooo! Don’t get her started!” I don’t get it about loud behavior at a hotel, or anywhere public. We taught our kids better than that too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter