How far in advance do you checkin?

BensWife

DIS Veteran
We are starting our vacation at the Poly on Monday. How far in advance should we checkin? We have the option today (3 days in advance) in our app. Is that too early?

If you were planning on making any room requests via online check-in, your already too late for that. Room assignments are usually made about 5 days out from the check-in date.

Other than that, it doesn't matter much. I tend to do it about 30 days prior, but I've also done it as soon as I book the reservation at 11 months.

Steve

Oh wow I guess I can do it now then. I didn't know. I need to attach my magic bands so I guess I should do that too.

Magic Bands aren’t “attached” to any specific resort reservation - they just access whatever is in your MDE account (and in that account is your resort reservation, park tickets, etc).

Did you get these MagicBands as part of this resort reservation? If so, you don’t need to do anything.

Magic Bands aren’t “attached” to any specific resort reservation - they just access whatever is in your MDE account (and in that account is your resort reservation, park tickets, etc).

Did you get these MagicBands as part of this resort reservation? If so, you don’t need to do anything.
No I bought them from Shop Disney so they haven't been linked yet. I was just thinking it is something I need to do yet along with checking in.

This may sound dumb for not knowing but what is the purpose of checking in once you make the ressie even 1 year out. Thank you!

There is no purpose, just something to check off the list and some would rather just go ahead and do it.

We check in close to travel date. If you want or need to make changes, I would perceive already checking in places your trip into a different status category making it possibly more complex to make any changes, as you have executed a step in the process to place you into a position to get a room assigned at a specific resort and room category.

Last edited:
We check in close to travel date. If you want or need to make changes, I would perceive already checking in places your trip into a different status category making it possibly more complex to make any changes, as you have executed a step in the process to place you into a position to get a room assigned at a specific resort and room category.

I don't think it actually does. I still have all the Change Reservations options after doing online check in and I can still modify the online check in at any time. I've also been able to cancel a reservation online with no issues after doing online check in.

I don't think it actually does. I still have all the Change Reservations options after doing online check in and I can still modify the online check in at any time. I've also been able to cancel a reservation online with no issues after doing online check in.

@Moliphino is correct. I've often made changes after doing online check-in (which I do right after making the reservation). If the change I made involves different choices, it automatically wipes the old ones and I make new choices. Just did it yesterday - changed my Poly in July from TPV to Pool/Marina; went in and there were new choice options. Easy-peasy.

This may sound dumb for not knowing but what is the purpose of checking in once you make the ressie even 1 year out. Thank you!

Actually a good question, we asked the same thing last year when planning our Disney trip. With most other vacation destinations, 'checking in' refers to what you are able to do when you arrive on property or via some phone app, at most a few hours prior to your actual arrival. Disney seems to use the term differently and still have no idea what checking in months before arrival accomplishes.

We usually do it about a month or few weeks prior, at that point we know we are 100% all in and have everything set up for the trip. Don't know exactly how WDW views it but for us we like being able to go straight to our room without stopping at the desk, so in my mind checking in is my virtual stop at the desk.

@Moliphino is correct. I've often made changes after doing online check-in (which I do right after making the reservation). If the change I made involves different choices, it automatically wipes the old ones and I make new choices. Just did it yesterday - changed my Poly in July from TPV to Pool/Marina; went in and there were new choice options. Easy-peasy.
Well that is good news. Sounds like it just a system flag that they don't process it until around your arrival day. Good to know. Thanks :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter